Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,330Posts
    • 17,751Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 38
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 11th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    PJ1 I have actually taken an extreme measure - I watched some PETA videos on YouTube! It upset me so much that I've eaten vegan for the last week, something I would never imagine doing in a million years, and my weight is starting to go down but better than that is my tummy is getting flatter. Normally I look about 5-6 months pregnant.
    I've gone veggie before but never given up the dairy before. I don't know how long it will last, but it's the first time in years I actually feel like I'm getting slimmer...
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    Florence J
    Not a great day, I haven't been 100% all week and each day seems to bring a new symptom. Felt so poo and tired that I bought a pizza and then tried to send my OH out to buy ice cream!

Strangely I have seem to have shifted a few pounds. It might just be water weight I've lost as I have been going to bed earlier than usual this week and that will in itself prevent me from eating. Whatever caused it I'll take it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 12th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I'm looking for alternatives to potatoes rice and pasta. Has anyone cooked with quinoa, I'm totally at a loss on how to use it. Our son says it looks like and probably tastes like frogspawn.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 12th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    zafiro, if you're looking for low carb, we've started eating lentil pasta. It actually tastes similar to wholewheat pasta imo.

We've also had quinoa before. We treat it similarly to how we use couscous, using it as a side or as a stuffing for peppers or something. It tastes okay, maybe a bit crunchy? You can get microwaveable packs, which are a lot easier and maybe worth trying so you can get an idea for what you're aiming for when buying dried. (Also excellent if you're lazy )

A mixed week this week. I seem to be alright at work, and then fall off the rails at home. Having a corner shop on the literal corner does. not. help.
    Also, having a McDonalds the day before weigh in day was not my most inspired moment 2lb gain

Ugh. I understand now. Making it big and brightly coloured acts as a deterrent/celebration as well as helping KnitWitch out
    2017 £2 Savers Club #19 - £46/£100 Target Weight Loss: 0/12
    1% Club - 28%/100% Declutter 2017 in 2017 - 1029/2017
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Sainsburys (0%): £4,735.57/£4,681.95
    DH Overdraft: £1,500 Virgin CC (0%):£4,982.71/£3,857.70
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I'm looking for alternatives to potatoes rice and pasta. Has anyone cooked with quinoa, I'm totally at a loss on how to use it. Our son says it looks like and probably tastes like frogspawn.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Maybe try a phased approach. We buy the micro rice pouches when they are on offer - the wholegrain and quinoa is nice. We share 1 between 3 which DH is not that impressed with but I fill the plate with veg to confuse him!
    I like cauli rice/couscous but DH and DD won't touch it. I prefer it raw.
    We have roasted butternut squash quite often - in place of chips. Sometimes I do sweet potato but it isn't as low carb/cal. I had rainbow fries from Iceland last week that were quite nice - a mix of carrot, beetroot and parsnip.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,692 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Binsky … 0/14
    Cappella … 0/7
    Carmen … 0/13.2
    CathA … 0/4
    CRANKY40 … 2/7
    Dandy-candy … 1/6
    Dumpling … 0/15
    FurryBeastOz … 0/12
    Gresleyrover … +4.6/5
    Karcher … 0/6
    Knit Witch … 3.5/10
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    MallyGirl … 0/6
    Monnagran … 0/5
    PJ1 … 3.5/11
    Sa1sysoo … +2/14
    Short_bird … 0.5/6
    SIRENS … 4.5/16
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tessie bear … +1/13
    TiredTrophy … +1/10
    Zafiro1984 … 1.75/14

0 st 8.15 lb
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

V3ry - £1,119.41 and S1mplyBe - £593.18
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 12th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 3,222 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Hello All

Am having a !!!! couple days have had a bit of a shock, just family stuff but can't seem to get out of my biscuit eating rut. I ate so many biscuits and other rubbish I actually felt quite sick at bed time. Today started off okay but but I have just hit the biscuit barrel again. How do I get my self back on track? ( I guess eventually I will run out of biscuits!)
    Feeling urgh.
    Weight Loss Challenge 3.5/16lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 37,770 Thanks
    monnagran
    Poor you Sirens. It doesn't take much to set us on the downward path, does it?

I am trying very hard this week as I somehow have to shock my system into giving up a few ounces of fat here and there.
    Today.
    Br: scrambled egg on toast.

Lunch. Ham and cheese salad. Poached pears.

Extras: 1 cookie, already eaten so no more today.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 12th Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I weigh in tomorrow.....not expecting success despite the hiking, cycling, running amd sauna- ing ....I still seem to be gaining not losing! And I am no little whippet like creature.

And I am really tired....I must leap up and clear up, ready for another keen early start to take guests to see the quaint and cute!
    Then knit another baby sleeve...fiddly as 'finishing on the wrong side' could be read as at the end of the wrong side or as with the wrong side facing to start the next instruction.

All the visitors leave next week and I hope to find affordable broccoli....it's a shocking price, even in Lidl.

I like chickpea spaghetti.

While I am inspired by the successful folks, I am comforted by those who struggle as I do with weightloss.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Evening all,

Diet been going so-so at the mo, i've started nibbling between meals again

We have a funeral to go to tomorrow and i've found one black dress in the wardrobe that i can JUST squeeze into and do up the zip. I can't fit into any of my smart coats though, so i'm not sure what to do about that.

Weather is pretty grim too so exercise has hit the buffers. Not expecting any good news at weight in!!
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 13th Oct 17, 6:37 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Carmen
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I ate a fair amount of quinoa during the summer. Lots of recipes on youtube, my favourites at the moment are mint and pea, detox salad.

Legumes also are a staple for me.

My intake of potatoes, rice and pasta goes up in the winter, especially baked jackets.

TTFN
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 2,568 Posts
    • 26,471 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    It's odd that so many of you are saying that you're tired (not you TT, you have visitors - even the thought of that would make me tired, never mind the reality of running round after them). The House Troll (my 12 year old son) is saying the same. I'm wondering if it's the change in the weather or the change in atmospheric pressure...... it is more tempting to stay in and eat junk because the weather is so awful outside.

I have some sort of spicy stew in the freezer that I'm pulling out for today. I was wondering what to eat it with as I'm not keen on potatoes or pasta and rice for some reason stops me from losing weight. Mallygirl reminded me that cauliflower is fine to use. I'm too lazy to make it into cauli rice though, I just cook it, mash it lightly with a fork when it's on the plate, then pour whatever I'm eating it with over the top.

I'm trying to kick the sugar eating habit (sweeties and/or chocolate but I've been so sorry for myself) that I've acquired in the last three weeks when I've been sat on my bum just looking at my bruises from falling down the stairs (most bruises gone now, just the wound on my leg left and that's going to be a long term thing so time to crack on). There was also a buttered toast habit that had to go - so far so good with that one.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Cranky could you have the stew on its own, but a green salad before and some fruit after it so you don't feel hungry?
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Oct 17, 8:26 AM
    • 2,568 Posts
    • 26,471 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Cranky could you have the stew on its own, but a green salad before and some fruit after it so you don't feel hungry?
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    I'm not that keen on salad, I don't mind it on the side of a meal but every now and then is fine. The HT has never eaten salad so if I buy the stuff to make it I'm eating it for what feels like forever. I'm a veg person so if I throw some extra spinach into the stew (it's spicy chicken, I've just been and fetched it out to defrost) and have cauli under it that'll do fine. I'm not a big portion eater so that will be plenty. I just don't like my food to be all wet - hence the need for the cauli underneath as a dry base.

I was forced to eat when I was a child and I think somewhere along the line it switched off the "stop eating when you're full" reflex. I do know when I'm full but I can keep going afterwards which is never a good thing when sweets, chocolate or cake is available. I'm working on this along with trying to drink more water.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 13th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I hate wasted food...I have done without when younger to feed the children....so I am learning to cook less, portion in the kitchen and stick to one helping...oh it sounds so simple but I fail.
    So we have been to the market, dawn over the lake...almost 8000 steps already.
    Oh got to go...
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I'm of the generation where leaving food on your plate was a no no. We also had to ask permission to get down from the table and sometimes the previous night leftover tea was presented at breakfast time. How times have changed.

I revisited what I was supposed to eat on my diet as I've found it hard to lose weight over the last few weeks losing a couple of pounds and then gaining the same amount.
    Surprise surprise bits and bobs have made their way into my diet that should not be there, chocolate, cake, biscuits being the main culprits. It's been so easy to take my eyes off the ball and convince myself 'it's just this once' to my cost.
    So last night I made myself a spread sheet where I can track everything. On one side I have my diet 'do and don't' listed for the week. I can then delete each item as I use it.
    I now feel enthused again and I'll see how this week goes.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

I find that writing everything down is essential for me - I try to be honest, no matter how high the numbers climb.

B: berries, FF yogurt, maple syrup, seeds
    L: 'Clear the fridge for the weekend' salad
    D: Indian takeaway (but we haven't had one for a couple of weeks)

50 min dog walk - very humid today
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 37,770 Thanks
    monnagran
    It's amazing how much our early experiences with food affects us for the rest of our lives.
    I was never forced to eat but I was a pretty fussy eater. It wasn't the taste of food I objected to, it was the texture. I couldn't eat meat, my mother put that down to the mysterious substances that masqueraded as meat during the war. I wasn't keen on vegetables, probably because they usually came with meat, but I would eat them raw.
    If it weren't for cheese, eggs and salad I would probably have starved.
    I will eat almost anything now but still have cheese and salad for preference.
    My idea of food heaven as a child was a lettuce sandwich. Hereby hangs a tale which I won't bore you with.

Back to today. Have decided to do my version of the 5:2 diet to try to jump start the weight loss again. So.....

Br: boiled egg and 2 crispbread.

Lunch: beans on toast.

Amen.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 13th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 4,929 Posts
    • 51,611 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon all

Woo-hoo ! Managed, at last, to lose a whole 1lb

Horrible, dark and dank here today. Would be enough to drive me to eat cake - if I had any. I honestly find that the best way to avoid eating sweet foods is not to have any in sight - preferable not in the house, but DH has his secret stash in his 'man-cupboard'.

I had a 'worth the calories' dinner yesterday. I found a small portion of left-over mac cheese in the freezer. Once defrosted I put in the bottom of a small dish, added a good scoop of hm bolognaise sauce on that and topped with grated cheese. Once reheated and passed under grill I tucked in with a plate of salad on the side. My goodness - it was really yum and very filling

Good luck all those to WI and hope you all have a lovely weekend
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1984....OCT=247.75/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1486....OCT=151.55/200
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....OCT=14/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 13th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    While I love my american friends dearly, and have gone to a great deal of trouble for them, their habit of taking more than they are going to eat and then taking just one or two mouthfuls and chucking the rest, is very distressing. Food is very expensive here (everything is) and I have blown the housekeeping budget on cooking food they like....and it seems to be a cultural thing, as the guys at the big hotel say that it happens there.

Oh well, I've still things in the garden, cellar and freezer....
    And sadly I've

Gained 1lb

Four more days of visitors....I escaped this afternoon and said I had chores...so they're shopping....and eating out. I'm having cauliflower cheese.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin