Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,330Posts
    • 17,752Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 37
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 9th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Nice...a little chilli or smoked paprika on those?
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 9th Oct 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    Carmen
    Hello all,
    I'm very pleased that I have STS as the past two weeks have been carp. Baad things come in three's, I can confirm this After the
    Loss of my cat (thank you for the kind words) I flooded the kitchen and cellar then put my back out just by sneezing
    Today I am up and at em and ready to continue the challenge😀
    Zafira, sorry to hear about your forth coming op, do you have a date for the procedure?
    Cranky and TT I hope all is well,thinking of you.
    Sending positive vibes to you all.
    TTFN
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,697 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I've been missing in action for a long time. I have been feeling a bit depressed, my contract at work is unexpectedly ending and I am stressed about money. My weight has fluctuated so much, not that long ago I got down to my lowest weight all year, then it all went back on with a vengeance. I can't remember the last time I did any exercise other than walking. I seem to have so much less time in the day for some reason despite no increase in responsibility.

I think I may duck out of the challenge for the moment until I get my head straight.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    Hugs Florence - I hope you find something else work wise quickly and join in on here as and when you can!
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

V3ry - £1,119.41 and S1mplyBe - £593.18
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 26,537 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Eureka! Though I didn't quite get the red that I was aiming for.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    It took me a while to realise that you meant part of your post...I was thinking what in the world is Monna up to now
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 37,802 Thanks
    monnagran
    It took me a while to realise that you meant part of your post...I was thinking what in the world is Monna up to now
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Come on Cranky. Keep up please.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Florence:- Sorry to hear about your troubles, looking forward to seeing you back on here when you feel up to it.

Lunch:- mainly vegetables and a little chorizo sausage
    Dinner:- 2 x Cranky's platters, one savory and a small dessert one.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 10th Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 9,077 Thanks
    Florence J
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. I have been overweight for most of my 20s and nothing seems to stick (other then the weight, ). I lose a bit of weight and get really passionate about it, loving the change in my body and how I feel, then life gets in the way....

I used to be a shopaholic which is how I got into debt, and I have done a complete change on that (I am now even doing a No Spend Year) and my debt is my primary focus and I've made such great strides with that it's like I am a completely different person. If I can make such strides in that area then surely I can apply the same skill set to losing weight? There just seems to be a mental block on it.

I am a comfort eater. I have never had a healthy relationship with food. My mum was an alcoholic and anorexic and I remember at 12 being bigger then her (I was just a normal, healthy 12 year old but I felt huge and grotesque because I didn't realise how ill my mum was). I began restricting my eating from the age of 10 and kept that going on and off until I was 16 when I finally realised I was being an idiot.

Bombshell alert - there's also the fact my OH said that although he loves me completely, he no longer finds my body sexually attractive....

All in all I feel a bit poo about things. I've taken it for granted that I will be overweight, which is silly because I have spent most of my life not being overweight.

I just don't know what to do. Although I like to think if you saw me your first thought wouldn't instantly be 'who ate all the pies?' I can't deny that my BMI says I am obese. I know BMI is imperfect, but as an indication it is suggesting things aren't great.

Sorry for the long and maudlin post, but I need help, and I thought this was the best place to ask.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 10th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    The joy of this forum is its anonymity and people can often get relief from saying something 'out loud' on here that they have no one in real life to tell. We don't judge. We are all here because we have, or have had, weight issues.
    DH's bombshell is not helpful so I am sorry about that.
    I eat from boredom and stress - not helpful when you work from home and have a fairly pressured job, with the kitchen in easy reach. I am just trying to find ways of catering for the times that I feel the need to snack. My meals are fine, it is the in between bit where it goes wrong.
    I think you need to work out what you want to do and why. It needs to be for you though - not because of anything OH has said.
    Best wishes
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 10th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

WI today and it is another STS. I am going to need to shake things up somehow

B: berries, FF yogurt, maple syrup, seeds
    L: Veggie pad thai
    D: Chicken risotto with HM stock

50 min dog walk
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Florence:- I totally agree with what Mallygirl has had to say. I just want to add you have to get yourself in a frame of mind where you are losing weight for yourself and not for other people. Although your DH’s comments hurt and they are playing on your mind he is still committed to you.
    Mine said something not unrelated years and years ago and it has never left me, but mine is a non-huggable, practical sort of person so it fitted in with his character and I wouldn’t change him.

It takes different things for different people to find the trigger which begins the journey (again) but once you find it you will be on your way. You will be happier within yourself and able to understand what has gone on in earlier years and how it has affected the way you think.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 9,077 Thanks
    Florence J
    Thank you for the lovely responses.

I guess another factor is if you include my commute to work I do about 60 hours during the working week. I leave the house at 6.25, I get back at 6.15-6.45 (If nothing goes wrong with the trains). I know my contract at work is ending soon, but that is isn't really an ideal solution to the problem.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 10th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    short_bird
    +0.25

after a week of random eating. Time to buckle down, as it were...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Thank you for the lovely responses.

I guess another factor is if you include my commute to work I do about 60 hours during the working week. I leave the house at 6.25, I get back at 6.15-6.45 (If nothing goes wrong with the trains). I know my contract at work is ending soon, but that is isn't really an ideal solution to the problem.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    Are you trying to say that you eat while commuting - i know I would if I'm forced to sit still for that many hours. Can I suggest if you have an iPad or kindle to download a good book or even take a book with you. It takes 2 hands to hold it and turn the pages therefore with both hands occupied there's no room for holding food.

Another thing, money is always a worry when things happen and you end up outside your comfort zone but the more you feel better about yourself, the more that will come across when you are looking for other contracts/work. Think positive, it is possible to put a good spin on everything life throws at you.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 10-10-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 11th Oct 17, 7:25 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 3,222 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Morning All
    Just popping in quickly before work with my WI am happy with a little loss -1lb
    B porridge, raspberry
    L jacket with a little cheese
    D leftover pasta with roasted veg.

Have a good day all x
    Weight Loss Challenge 3.5/16lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: berries, FF yogurt, maple syrup, seeds
    L: something from the supermarket - I need to shop for berries
    D: Veggie sausage casserole, pasta

50 min dog walk

I am feeling positive today - I feel that so often I come on here and moan about something or other, but today is a good day

Reasons to be cheerful:
    • scales showed a drop this morning when they have been static for ages
    • a hassle free dog walk. I met a man whose dog has run up to ours and caused a kerfuffle in the past - when being walked by his wife. This time he put it on a lead while I gave a wide berth but then he asked a question so I stopped a comfortable distance away and we chatted for 5 mins or so. Kira had laid down by the end and he commented on how calm they were - I explained that she is scared of dogs which makes her react but if there is no perceived threat then all is well. It was a nice experience.
    • I tried a couple of stints of scouts pace on my active walk with the dogs and the heel seemed to cope. It is not totally better but I am ready to try a little jog this week I think.
    • I have booked 4 days away in the New Forest in November for me, DH and dogs. My Mum is going to come and stay with DD. We have been feeling a bit caged by all our parental taxi duties and DD is doing another week of work experience in a vet instead of us going away at half term. This will offset that. We just need to watch out for the free range pigs - they can be quite aggressive.
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 11th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Morning all,
    I've not been on here for a few days, feeling really down and can feel the beginnings of depression setting in but doing my best to think positive and shake it off.
    Fairly successful fast on Monday and yesterday was ok too. Fasting again today, skimmed milk for t&c, fizzy orange and tomato and bean soup followed by a yogurt for me today.
    DH has said he would actually like me to be at home but I'm genuinely worried about income in relation to the enforced move we have to make sometime soon. I feel very unsettled and up in the air at the moment, probably what's bringing on the depressive state. Ho hum, life goes on and I know I'm actually very lucky in a lot of respects. Take care everyone,
    Luv PJ x
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 11th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Hello again, can I swear please? I'm supposed to be fasting today and I've just eaten two cheese and garlic jam sandwiches-with butter!! !!!!!!, b*ll*cks and poo bags! I can feel what's starting to happen, sliding back down into depression and bingeing but can't seem to stop myself. Even gave myself a good talking to but still went right ahead and made the sandwiches! What can I do to stop this happening?
    PJ x
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    For me the only things that work are distraction or damage limitation. Sometimes when I am craving crisps I walk up the garden to the kitchen and even get as far as getting something naughty out of the cupboard. Then I make sure that I read the nutritional info on the packet. I enter my day's meals in MyFitnessPal in the morning so I will know if I have enough 'spare'. That can make me put the packet back if I haven't. Or I do a deal with myself and have something less bad - yesterday it was a ryvita generously spread with marmite to give me the savoury hit but at less cost. Last week I hit the jar of pickled onions a few times. I know I should go for a walk but it is too much of a faff to get the dogs in and lock up the house - but maybe that would work for you?
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Afternoon all, miserable day here wet and windy.

DH not at all well today, stomach playing up so I ended doing all the animals today so I have only just finished doing the jobs. Never mind, lunch was easy, one slice of unbuttered toast for DH and two pears for me I expect dinner will be somewhat similar.
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 11th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    Carmen
    Good afternoon all,
    PJ1, I hate those times, I find drinking a large glass of water sometimes helps, worth a try.
    Florence, I hope you are having a good day?
    Mally, good that you are having a nice day
    A beautiful sunny day here, always makes me feel good.
    TTRN
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin