Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 36
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    cranky how is the leg ? better i hope xx
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Thank you for asking. It's not exactly better but I think there's potential now I finally have the correct dressings for it. Further options have been mentioned if this round of dressings doesn't work but I'll only explain that if anyone wants to be put off their food. Any squeamish over eaters feel free to pm me I'm feeling a bit livelier now I'm finished the "just as a precaution" antibiotics. I've just chopped up some onions and courgettes and put them in the freezer as courgette soup kits (one courgette, one onion per bag).

Recipe is one courgette, one onion, one veg stock cube and one pint of water. When it's cooked, let it cool and add a quarter of a tub of light garlic and herb cheese then blend it with a stick blender. It's lovely.
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 07-10-2017 at 1:49 PM.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 7th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    tessie bear
    you sound brighter cranky which can only help the healing process xx
    on the brink...
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Afternoon all,
    Many thanks for all the kind words - much appreciated

I thought I was doing well until this lunchtime when I totally blew it, I had soup which was OK but I put some cream in it and then ate 1 jaffa cake and 9 other biscuits, that's the bad bit.

Now feeling guilty as I expect tomorrow will see a weight gain (am I becoming obsessive?) I'll try to eat something fishy for tea and drink loads of water as I now feel very full, maybe even overfull.

Tea has always been a time to sit and discuss the day and put the world to rights. I just wish I could eat my tea and then get up from the table but old habits are hard to break. Also, I'd be loath to change the routine as it's our wind down time. Sometimes we sit and talk for 2 to 3 hours and as you all know picking at food is such a big temptation. I must put my brain into gear and think of a a workable strategy.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 7th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Hi everyone. Back from holiday earlier this week and finally plucked up the nerve to get on the scales today. Its a gain of 4.6lbs to start the new challenge.
    Knitwitch and zafiro I hope you're feeling better. Hugs from me for anyone who needs them
    • CathA
    • By CathA 7th Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 4,306 Thanks
    CathA
    A Cathcuddle to all the people who need one! Hope everyone is on the mend soon.

STS for me again. My all- fruit Thursday went out the window this week, father in law in hospital and I've been running mum about and worrying, so there you go. Could have been worse tho, I polished off half a bag of peanut m and m's on Thursday, plus lots of other stuff that wouldn't be described as fruit in any circumstances! Hey ho.

Happy Saturday everyone x
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I've STS this week too. I need to try harder. I'm starting to feel like cooking and eating proper meals again (the antibiotics that I was given as a precaution stole my get up and go). My leg isn't doing anything different to before but I'm feeling better and more mobile so I'll take that as a good sign. I need to catch up on a lot of things that haven't been done over the last three weeks but without overdoing it because I still need to keep my leg elevated when I can.....should be interesting.

Hugs Zafiro. Good luck for getting yourself as healthy as possible for your op. Maybe some sort of platter would be the answer to your tea time problems? A selection of chopped fruit, chopped veg, chopped meat and a few healthy dips (you can mix just about anything into quark so you can make sweet for fruit and savoury for veg). Picking the healthy way. I'd love it if someone put something like that in front of me. Sadly there's only me and the house troll here and he has zero interest in food.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 8th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Hugs Zafiro. Good luck for getting yourself as healthy as possible for your op. Maybe some sort of platter would be the answer to your tea time problems? A selection of chopped fruit, chopped veg, chopped meat and a few healthy dips (you can mix just about anything into quark so you can make sweet for fruit and savoury for veg). Picking the healthy way. I'd love it if someone put something like that in front of me. Sadly there's only me and the house troll here and he has zero interest in food.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Excellent idea Cranky - why didn't I think of that myself? I shall start today, just need to go out shopping. Dressings all off today and I can drive again

Can I just add, I don't feel ill at all and I have no symptoms, but I need open heart surgery as I have an 80% closure of two arteries and 50% closure of two more plus a narrowing of the aortic valve so replacement valves and by-passes are needed. This was found by accident: my GP changed the dosage of my Blood Pressure tabs and I was so faint I couldn't stand up so ended up in hosp at a weekend where they found this problem and the above are the results of their workup. In many ways I have to be grateful to my GP because without the original increase in tabs this problem would not have been found until maybe it would have been too late - who knows?

I'm not going to dwell on my problem on this thread as losing weight at the moment is every bit as important to me, (also I'm a great worrier and it will do me no good) but I do appreciate your support - it really does make a difference - so here's to this new challenge
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 08-10-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Oct 17, 5:17 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,317 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi, can I join? My local SW group has changed its meeting time, and I'm looking for an alternative. I could do with losing at least a couple of stone in weight.
    Originally posted by dreamyd
    Welcome to the thread are you wanting to join in the challenge?
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,317 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I won't dwell on it but I spent yesterday in the Coronary Day Ward. The results mean I'm to have open heart surgery for value repair and by-passes. I'm a bit scared to say the least as it's the Royal Brompton in London. I have yet to meet the surgeon.

I was more upset by being told I couldn't ride except on a very quiet horse and once they heard I rode covering stallions they completely banned me just in case I fell off; they said the trauma of a fall plus my condition would be just too much. I also have to lose more weight so it looks I'll be on this thread for the duration. That's if you can put up with me?

I have been told - you don't do a marathon without training - so now I'm in training for my op as I need to be in the best possible shape I can possibly be.

B: I never eat breakfast - I feel sick if I do
    L: 2 poached eggs, third of a pack of Uncle Ben's grains, apple, pear. one square of dark chocolate
    D:- small piece of gammon, vegetables, probably SF jelly and one square of dark chocolate.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Wow zafiro I hope it all goes well!
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,317 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Binsky … 0/14
    Cappella … 0/7
    Carmen … 0/13.2
    CathA … 0/4
    CRANKY40 … 2/7
    Dandy-candy … 1/6
    Dumpling … 0/15
    FurryBeastOz … 0/12
    Gresleyrover … +4.6/5
    Karcher … 0/6
    Knit Witch … 3.5/10
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    MallyGirl … 0/6
    Monnagran … 0/5
    PJ1 … 3.5/11
    Sa1sysoo … 0/14
    Short_bird … 0.75/6
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tessie bear … +1/13
    TiredTrophy … +1/10
    Zafiro1984 … 1.75/14

0 st 9.4 lb
    V3ry - £555.59
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Zafiro another idea if you're doing a fruit platter is to drizzle some choc shots over the fruit. The chocolate or the coconut one both go very well with strawberries and you don't need much.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 8th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Lunch - soup
    Dinner:- 2 x Cranky's inspired platters, 1 savory and 1 dessert. It worked very well and I just used things I had in the fridge and cupboards as I hadn't time to go shopping.

I ate slowly which helped, the savory one had a small tin of pilchards on it so I used the tomato sauce as a dip for the vegetables. The dessert one was just an apple, a pear and two very small pieces of cheese with 4 walnuts. I cut everything up into very thin slices which also helped.

I'm now going to call them 'Cranky's platters' lets hope the idea catches on and becomes as famous as 'Twink's hobnobs' Thank-you, I'll bear in mind the chocolate shots as a variation.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 9th Oct 17, 6:06 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 10,236 Thanks
    Florence J
    I've been missing in action for a long time. I have been feeling a bit depressed, my contract at work is unexpectedly ending and I am stressed about money. My weight has fluctuated so much, not that long ago I got down to my lowest weight all year, then it all went back on with a vengeance. I can't remember the last time I did any exercise other than walking. I seem to have so much less time in the day for some reason despite no increase in responsibility.

I think I may duck out of the challenge for the moment until I get my head straight.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2118.64
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 9th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,626 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Good morning all!
    Sis in L on the way to the airport...just time to do the laundry and housework before a friend arrives from the States. ...and staying on track with healthy eating is challenging me.

B. Not had any yet....but coffee is a definite
    L.salad from the garden and boiled eggs
    D. Buffet nibbles ....if resisted then chicken rissotto.

I wish us all a happy week despite our troubles.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I've been missing in action for a long time. I have been feeling a bit depressed, my contract at work is unexpectedly ending and I am stressed about money. My weight has fluctuated so much, not that long ago I got down to my lowest weight all year, then it all went back on with a vengeance. I can't remember the last time I did any exercise other than walking. I seem to have so much less time in the day for some reason despite no increase in responsibility.

I think I may duck out of the challenge for the moment until I get my head straight.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    sorry to hear that. They say it is best to 'choose your battles' so maybe this is the right thing to do.
    Best wishes
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 40,224 Thanks
    monnagran
    Florence J. I agree with Mallygirl, one thing at a time. You can't possibly fight on all fronts at once.

I have to report another STS week. I knew it was going to be more difficult to get rid of this decades old fat, but nil desperandum.

Today's food.....

Br: boiled egg & toast. (no cardboard today Cranky)

Lunch:Chicken salad. Poached pears.

Extras. As the spirit moves, though there is a biscuit tin of HM choc chip cookies that is going to take some resistance.

I've had another go at colour and am about to submit. Fingers crossed.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 40,224 Thanks
    monnagran
    Eureka! Though I didn't quite get the red that I was aiming for.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: berries, FF yogurt, maple syrup, seeds - I need to make some more lo carb granola
    L: M&S aromatic lamb curry - its a busy day and this was reduced when I popped in to get the free bottle of wine I had earned for ordering my turkey early. The best healthy ready meal I have ever found - and only 388 cals.
    D: venison burger, rainbow fries, salad

50 min dog walk - I tried to keep it at an active pace with raised heart rate and actually had to add a bit extra to the route so that worked.
    I took the dogs training in the forest yesterday morning for the first time in ages. They loved it and did fine but I need to work on fitness - theirs and mine - if we are going to do any events this winter. Unfortunately my scooting foot is the one still recovering from plantar fasciitis so it might be a challenge.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 9th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,626 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    What are rainbow fries, please?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    not sure what they are going to taste like but they are a bit of a cheat from Iceland - oven chips, but instead of potato they are Carrot, Parsnip and Beetroot fries. I find spuds very boring.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin