Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,326Posts
    • 17,748Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 35
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Frith...migraine?

Knitwitch...poor you, get better soon.

Sallysoo....it's just so frustrating isn't it?....many of us are in that situation....me with added hunger DH reckons one should up the intensity of one's exercise. ....he goes faster up a steeper mountain !! and then the extra muscle one builds weighs lots but is not fat....he doesn't get lighter just fitter..I find it difficult to muster the enthusiasm for that approach!!
    Some meds have side effects that make weightloss difficult and in those circumstances, maintain is success.

dekaspace.....go you! Well done!....off to Sainsbugs, prim*ark or the charity shop for smaller jeans then.

Sister in Law coming for the weekend. Going hiking tomorrow.
    B. Yog, banana, oats coffee, beetroot juice
    L.hm watercress soup, one piece of bread and butter
    D. Hm fish and chips and a green salad from the garden, wine.
    E. Housework and possibly a run if I can drag myself out....tho the gym and sauna option sounds good, it takes too long

Have a light day!
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 5th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Morning all,
    Knitwitch, thinking of you, hope you feel much better today.
    I still don't feel topnotch but hoping I'll improve through today. Does anyone else here have fibromyalgia and if so how do you cope with it?
    Anyway, yesterday's fast did not go to plan but wasn't as bad as it might have been.
    Really windy here today so might lose my hat when I take the dogs out. Hoping it stays dry.
    Housework, dog walk and physio exercises.
    Throughout the day, tea with skimmed, sugar free squash with sparkling water
    L. Ham salad sandwich and fruit
    D. Spag bol and runner beans, followed by yogurt and more fruit and coffee
    Love and good luck to everyone
    PJ x
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: HM lentil soup
    D: roast chicken, jacket spuds, veg

I am going to have to fit the dog walk in later - it was far too wild/wet/stormy to venture out this morning. I can cope with rain but really high winds as well scare me as I can't see far enough ahead to avoid idiots with out of control dogs. Also the place I walk has lots of lovely mature trees which drop bits on you in this sort of weather. Some of the 'bits' are quite big and I didn't fancy concussion.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 26,306 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    KnitWitch I'm sorry that you've been poorly. I hope that you start to feel better soon.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 37,654 Thanks
    monnagran
    Knit Witch. Flu is horrible and the effects last longer than you can imagine. Take life slowly with a lot of resting for a while.

My posts have been disappearing into the ether lately but here goes.

Hopefully today I will be eating

Br: BE and CB

Lunch: Mac cheese and beans. 1 pear.

There is a SF jelly in the fridge for desperate moments.

Well done deka. Keep it up.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 4,912 Posts
    • 51,525 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Will update in a few days - sorry to say got Flu, only out of bed for the bathroom until today when I managed to get up an hour ago
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Sending some gws vibes and lots of big, squishy hugs.

Had my spicy porridge for breakfast and a cheese and salad roll, followed by a conference pear for lunch. Now I'm in one of those 'I really don't know what I fancy or cba to make for dinner' moods. Oh well - may a packet of inspiration will arrive
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1984....OCT=238.67/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1486....OCT=131.28/200
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....OCT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 5th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Phew, so theres a new wholesale butcher in my town (does all the Sunday markets in like 40 miles radius too) decided to take the plunge and spent £50 on a meat pack, pretty much have a months worth of steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, even beef joint, steak burgers, sausages, bacon and eggs.

Its good as it means I can eat good food everday without turning to junk but what a blow to my wallet!

Thinking if I do it next month to either get 5kg of fresh chicken for £25, or another "pack" they do like steak and chicken pack which has 5kg of chicken, 10 mixed sauce chicken breats, £20 of steak,eggs, steak burgers,

I got the one I did today as it was a larger actual mix but worried I won't use it all.
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 5th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 2,584 Thanks
    Carmen
    😢😢
    Good evening all,
    I'm not sure how so much time has past since my last post🤔
    One of my cat has gone to Rainbow Bridge and I have felt like carp this last week, it could have been a lot worse if I did not have two other furry heatbeats that needed me (if only to be fed )

I completely forgot to weigh this week so will post again next Monday.

to the new/returning ladies.
    Hugs to those feeling poorly, Knit, lots of FLUids.

TT, your posts make me feel lazy and very tired 😉
    Mally, it's no fun walking a dog if you have to worry about what might happen if you meet other dogs!

Thank goodness the weather has improved, makes walking the dog a lot nicer.

TTFN x
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I am very tired, Carmen...I'm walking my depression rather than taking more drugs. It works much of the time.
    Today 20,000 steps.
    Doesn't do much for the hot flushes.
    Seems I'm carrying all the food for 3 people tomorrow. It will be slow then!

Great value dekaspace
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Oct 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 26,306 Thanks
    CRANKY40

Hopefully today I will be eating

Br: BE and CB
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I couldn't remember what that CB stood for. My head was telling me "cardboard" so I went back to check. My first thought on reading "crispbread" was that my initial guess wasn't far wrong

Good evening all,
    I'm not sure how so much time has past since my last post🤔
    One of my cat has gone to Rainbow Bridge and I have felt like carp this last week, it could have been a lot worse if I did not have two other furry heatbeats that needed me (if only to be fed )
    Originally posted by Carmen
    Aww. hugs. They all have their own personalities (I have one greedy, daft one and one devious, clever one) and it's hard when they go.

Seems I'm carrying all the food for 3 people tomorrow. It will be slow then!
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    At least you know they'll wait for you if the weight of your rucksack slows you down. I'm sorry to read that you're not feeling too bright. That feeling that you get when you think the rest of the world is turning fine and nobody is noticing that you feel miserable is horrible. My advice for that is usually to tell someone that you feel low, but you've told us so you at least have some well meaning support. Is your depression hormonal or are you still wanting to shake ds upside down until his brains fall back into his head instead of wherever else in his body they're currently vacationing?

I've not lost any weight this week yet according to a sneaky peek on the scales this morning but I have two days left until my official WI. I'm thinking mince with root mash and spring greens for my evening meal tonight as I've had rice with something the last couple of nights and rice doesn't seem to be my friend when it comes to weight loss.
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 6th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Morning all,
    Carmen, so sorry to hear of your loss, it's so hard, I'm still getting back to normal after losing my GSD three weeks ago and one of the other dogs is missing him too. A friend lost one of her Cockers yesterday as well but I've yet to find out why.
    I'm still not feeling 100% but slowly improving, I've done my physio exercises this morning and the daily housework, just got the living room to deep clean now. Plus must get the dogs out today for a good long walk and some serious training. My middle dog is making her beating debut on Tuesday so need to polish up her responses!
    Yesterday went quite well food wise, not a fast day but I didn't go overboard which is what I tend to do when not fasting.
    Throughout day, lots of tea with skimmed, sugar free orange and mango squash with sparkling water then I had a ham salad sandwich for lunch with an orange and an apple, a mandarin while I was cooking dinner, then we had pasta Bolognese for dinner followed by coffee and a yogurt. There was about a third of the Bolognese left over so I'm going to add a ton of cooked veg to it and cover it with cheesy mash to make a cottage pie for tonight and two portions for the freezer and we'll have some more runner beans with it this evening. Looking forward to that. Thinking I might make my W.I. day Saturday so we can enjoy Sat evenings a little more, don't worry Knitwitch, I shall make it obvious when my official W.I. is, hope you are feeling better today too.
    Luv to all
    Pip-pip x
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: HM split pea/lentil soup
    D: food on the hoof as we are off to a gig in Oxford. It may be sarnies on the train. Then there will be a few pints as that is how DH likes to enjoy his live music.

I am going to have to fit the dog walk in later - it was far too wild/wet/stormy to venture out this morning. I can cope with rain but really high winds as well scare me as I can't see far enough ahead to avoid idiots with out of control dogs. Also the place I walk has lots of lovely mature trees which drop bits on you in this sort of weather. Some of the 'bits' are quite big and I didn't fancy concussion.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I took them out at lunchtime. A bit of a miscalculation as I had forgotten that it was the once a week food court day on campus. The sun had come out and every enrolled student seemed to be there - it took a while to make it through the crowds but the dogs loved the fussing. They love people, they just aren't keen on other dogs and the feeling seems to be mutual
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 6th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 9,342 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I won't dwell on it but I spent yesterday in the Coronary Day Ward. The results mean I'm to have open heart surgery for value repair and by-passes. I'm a bit scared to say the least as it's the Royal Brompton in London. I have yet to meet the surgeon.

I was more upset by being told I couldn't ride except on a very quiet horse and once they heard I rode covering stallions they completely banned me just in case I fell off; they said the trauma of a fall plus my condition would be just too much. I also have to lose more weight so it looks I'll be on this thread for the duration. That's if you can put up with me?

I have been told - you don't do a marathon without training - so now I'm in training for my op as I need to be in the best possible shape I can possibly be.

B: I never eat breakfast - I feel sick if I do
    L: 2 poached eggs, third of a pack of Uncle Ben's grains, apple, pear. one square of dark chocolate
    D:- small piece of gammon, vegetables, probably SF jelly and one square of dark chocolate.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 215.14/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 6th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Zafiro that is an excellent hospital so you really are in the safest of hands. I can fully appreciate the upset about horse riding but life unfortunately/fortunately doesn't run a linear path, and I'm sure your families love for you trumps your love for riding - they wouldn't want you putting yourself at risk. Is there some other job you could do at the stables so you are still near them?
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 6th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    [QUOTE=zafiro1984;73225260]I won't dwell on it but I spent yesterday in the Coronary Day Ward. The results mean I'm to have open heart surgery for value repair and by-passes. I'm a bit scared to say the least as it's the Royal Brompton in London. I have yet to meet the surgeon.

I was more upset by being told I couldn't ride except on a very quiet horse and once they heard I rode covering stallions they completely banned me just in case I fell off; they said the trauma of a fall plus my condition would be just too much. I also have to lose more weight so it looks I'll be on this thread for the duration. That's if you can put up with me?

I have been told - you don't do a marathon without training - so now I'm in training for my op as I need to be in the best possible shape I can possibly be.

So sorry to hear this Zafiro, I know how devastating it was for me to be told I couldn't ride or run anymore once my spinal discs started degenerating. It's for the best though and even though I thought my world had imploded (and I'm sure you feel the same) you can get through it and find new interests. I can certainly put up with you and look forward to hearing about your progress. Chin up.
    Luv PJ x
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    That sounds quite scary Zafiro. We'll be here, virtually, to support you on your journey. Sorry about the riding
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Ok so I weighed myself today, first time in 2 months (where I lost about 2 stone)

I can't remember my exact weight before but either I have gained a few pounds or stuck at same weight as my last weigh.

But either doesn't make sense, for one the usual thing where others have noticed I have lost weight without any prompting, also I wore trousers for a interview which I last wore just before I last weighed myself and at that time had to button them up and pull them up and even then they were snug yet now I could button them normally and they weren't snug at all.

All I can think is I haven't lost weight but instead Im not bloated as not eating junk, or I weighed myself just after having my subway, but that shouldn't put on pretty much anything Im guessing.

Any ideas?
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 7th Oct 17, 9:37 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Really weight is just one of a number of ways one can use to work out how healthy we are.
    Being a thinner around one's waist is another.
    If you weight the same but are thinner, you might have gained more muscle, maybe on your shoulders or thighs....are they larger?
    If you had had salty snacks before last the weigh then you might have retained more water inflating your weight.

For me
    Gain 1lb

However, I walked over a mountain yesterday and had a good dinner afterwards. ...I was faster than the others despite the load.

Today, I have a rehearsal with one group and a performance with another, Sis in L is staying and I have my head above the water....even if I am no smaller.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 7th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 28,397 Thanks
    tessie bear
    knit witch and zafiro take care and hope you feel better soon xx

cranky how is the leg ? better i hope xx

i have been on a horse once a friend wanted to go so along i went. for some reason during the lesson we swapped horses and then the one i had been on went mad and was running around the circle with a brick wall round it with her hanging off...safe to say i couldnt get off quick enough and have never got back on

feeling fat at the mo but not sure why...oh the joys xxx
    on the brink...
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 7th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Morning all,
    A very grey day here today weather wise, also got the news that I didn't even make the second interview stage for the job I wanted so much and thought I was perfect for! Can't help feeling just a little that I'm now on the scrap heap!
    Anyway, on a lighter note, Knitwitch, I now weigh 13st 6.5lbs so a loss of 3.5lbs for me please. Yaay!
    Aim for today is ham salad sandwiches and fruit for lunch with chicken kievs, chips and mixed salad for dinner with coffee and yogurt to follow. Have a good day all.
    Luv PJ X
    P.S. Sorry the highlighted text is so big, I'll get it right next time, only just learned how to do that on a forum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin