Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 34
    • Frith
    • By Frith 3rd Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 40,060 Thanks
    Frith
    B - granola

L - chicken curry

T - braised beef with carrots and celery
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 3rd Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Frith..sounds yummy can i come to your house?
    • dreamyd
    • By dreamyd 3rd Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    dreamyd
    Hi, can I join? My local SW group has changed its meeting time, and I'm looking for an alternative. I could do with losing at least a couple of stone in weight.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 3rd Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 40,325 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hi all and welcome to dreamyd who would like to lose a couple of stones. Oh darling, you've come to just the right place. There is an army here trying to lose a couple of stones, with varying degrees of success. Join us in our struggle, we can always do with reinforcements.

Food today.

Br: boiled egg and crispbread, henceforth to be referred to as b.e. & c.b.

Lunch: Out with friends so... 1 jacket potato with 1 pat of butter (tut tut), cheese and salad.

I was giving a talk to a group of elderly ladies, some of them even older than me, and at half time we were revived with tea and bikkies. No protests were allowed so I managed to choke down a couple of custard creams.

I got home and consumed a manky banana.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Oct 17, 2:28 AM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Still on my Subway diet, was at parents last week and ate leftovers parents had frozen every day (as was looking after the house) did cheat though and buy a large takeaway my first night simply due to the ones in my home town being cheap and high quality but since then only had a small one at weekend with friend and back eating Subway, did have a pack of Haribo though today and 4 rolls (no filling) to fill myself up. apart from that ate nothing else.

Haven't weighed myself in weeks, im too big (more big feet than weight) for normal scales without spending a huge amount on them.

Bought some more frozen chicken today, so have plenty of stuff to make chicken and rice with.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 4th Oct 17, 6:25 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Dekaspace....you can just gauge how you're doing by whether you are having to tighten your belt....
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 4th Oct 17, 6:33 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Yesterday I pigged out on grapes and ate a bar of chocolate before the observer came to assess my 'teaching' of English conversation.....was told there was too much grammar but the group said they wanted more!

Today
    B coffee
    B2....going to market so will get another coffee and something to eat there
    L. Hopefully chicken from the market
    D. Packed tea of bread and cheese
    S. Cocoa late.

E...mostly shopping..Very likely to get the 10,000 steps

Hope the day goes well for you all
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,989 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    DS1 and I started our vegan experiment yesterday, we're going to aim for 2 weeks minimum and take it from there. I bought him a milk made of coconut and rice which was actually nice even drunk alone, so that's a plus.

Yesterday was:

B: fruit
    L: wheatberry salad
    D: stir fry with a fruit platter for pudding
    S: wholemeal bread and jam

It will be interesting to see how the diet affects my weight and also just how I feel in general.

Have a great day all
    Last edited by dandy-candy; 04-10-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 4th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 3,280 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Morning All
    Just popping in quickly before work am reporting a minor miracle of a small loss -1lb
    Today
    B porridge
    L jacket pot 30g cheese
    D probably left over couscous and roasted veg

Yesterday was okay although got home from work to discover Mum had fried chicken for the kids and I succumbed to 3 small pieces (she makes lovely chicken!)

Wishing everyone a lovely day x
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/16lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 4th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: beetroot salad
    D: SC gammon part 2, probably in some sort of pasta bake, something green on the side

45 min dog walk
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 4th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Morning all.
    45 min dog walk
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Dog walk usually takes you 50mins, so was this at a jog or a new route? just kidding
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 4th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 28,846 Thanks
    tessie bear
    plus 1 lb for me please im off to a wonderful start but i will get there....i will xxx
    on the brink...
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 4th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Hello everyone,
    Yesterday was not such a good day for me! Totally pigged out, ate some cheese and garlic jam in the morning, had a ham sandwich for lunch followed by a yogurt, a tsp of peanut butter and a bar of chocolate, then we had mashed potatoes, carrots, cabbage and runner beans with mushrooms in sauce over the top. Unfortunately, DH then remembered there was some ice cream in the freezer and we ended up eating half a tub each!!!! No wonder I don't feel very good today.
    I've done my exercises today but not up to the usual hour long walk with the dogs. Felt so bad this morning I went back to bed and slept for two hours! Blooming fibro is starting to rule my life now!
    Hope everyone else is doing well, will report back tomorrow on today's fast!
    Toodle-Pip. x
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Dekaspace....you can just gauge how you're doing by whether you are having to tighten your belt....
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy

Saying that yesterday when I got off the bus my jeans were so loose, barely kept them up and got to my back door and they slipped off!

I haven't changed the notches (well haven't got any, have to make own ones) but looks like I have to.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 4th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Dog walk usually takes you 50mins, so was this at a jog or a new route? just kidding
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I saw an offlead dog so I took evasive action
    Ours got attacked again at the weekend - this time by 2 little dogs that were just sitting with their owners in their front garden until we walked past, at which point they turned into biting, snarling Exocet missiles The owners were nearly as shocked as I was - I just held on to the wall, with fluffy boy held close and tight, until they had retrieved their dogs. Luckily no one was injured.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 4th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,318 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Will update in a few days - sorry to say got Flu, only out of bed for the bathroom until today when I managed to get up an hour ago
    V3ry - £555.59
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 4th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 3,280 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Will update in a few days - sorry to say got Flu, only out of bed for the bathroom until today when I managed to get up an hour ago
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Oh poor you Knit Witch, keep warm and get lots of rest, hope you feel better soon (((hugs)))
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/16lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Oct 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,989 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Get well soon Knitwitch ((hugs))
    • Frith
    • By Frith 4th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 40,060 Thanks
    Frith
    Get well soon, Knitwitch.

Today

B - granola

L - chicken and spinach leaf sandwich and a banana

T - HM courgette carbonara. First time I had made it and the sauce wasn't quite right. Served with spelt spaghetti. Rice pudding.

Evening snack - 2 slices of toast with marmite.

Some headaches today, tired and funny eyes (like a corduroy pattern going across them!) Hopefully this is the side effect of cutting out sugar, rather than a bug on the way.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 5th Oct 17, 6:26 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    Oh no! Feel better soon Knit Witch!

Weigh in day for me, and for the second week in a row it's a maintain

Ugh. How does everyone else keep going when the scales don't move or they move backwards? Could do with a gee up right now!
    2017 £2 Savers Club #19 - £46/£100 Target Weight Loss: 0/12
    1% Club - 28%/100% Declutter 2017 in 2017 - 1029/2017
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Sainsburys (0%): £4,735.57/£4,681.95
    DH Overdraft: £1,500 Virgin CC (0%):£4,982.71/£3,857.70
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin