Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 33
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 1st Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Morning all

Yesterday was :

B: trail mix, him bread and jam
    L: 2 Krisprolls with cream cheese a DH half a cup of mushroom cuppasoup - my first one in 20 years and I remember why now lol
    D: cheesy veg bake
    S: I had terrible sugar withdrawal headache so buckled and ate 2 cookies

Good thing is I'm - 1lb!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 1st Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,455 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Hello everyone. KnitWitch I have a loss of 2 lbs to report this week please. I'm happy that's a good start. Weight is 15-9 (this is to help me keep track as if I gain anything in the middle of the challenge I tend to get very lost with what I've lost and give up posting). I'm pleased with that as I'm still doing next to no exercise because of the wound on my leg.

Today's food will be :-

Breakfast - egg toastie (egg done in frylight on small w/meal bread)
    Lunch - not sure yet but no more bread
    Dinner - Roast chicken dinner because it's one of my son's favourite meals and I can have plenty of veg with mine.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 1st Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 3,280 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Morning All
    Well yesterday started very badly as we were all home dh made a full English breakfast, I did keep way from the sausages but still had bacon, mushrooms scrambled eggs and a slice of bread.
    I regrouped at dinner with a veg laden pizza of sorts (base was made with thinly rolled smash) with Morzarella. I would not have the pizza base again I don't think it wasn't horrible just sort of bizzare! I also had one of those round chocolate Lindt balls.
    Today will be
    B 2 slice toast, olive spread marmite
    D fish and chips!

As we are having dinner early if I'm hungry later I'll try to stick to yog or fruit. Oh dd is making fudge for her school friends so may try a tiny piece just as a quality check...........
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/16lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 1st Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 40,075 Thanks
    monnagran
    My WI day is tomorrow but I have no great expectations. In spite of being really good most of the week, Friday saw me spending the whole day in the kitchen baking for a friend's coffee morning yesterday. I was alarmed to notice how often my fingers went to my mouth conveying broken off bits, odd crumbs, licks of this and that..........
    Next time I bake I intend to wear a smog mask, (remember smog?) You know, one of those masks people wear when they are creating dust of some sort.

It might end up a bit messy, but save my calorie consumption.

Today's good intentions.

Br: boiled egg & crispbread.

Lunch: Pork medallion, cabbage, onion, carrots, peas and leeks. SF jelly.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 1st Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,455 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Lunch will be cauliflower soup. Thank you Cappella for the idea and the recipe.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 1st Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I'm just about to go for a run to burn off yesterday's lunch. ..cannot get out of it if I've told you folks!
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,300 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Binsky … 0/14
    Cappella … 0/7
    Carmen … 0/13.2
    CathA … 0/4
    CRANKY40 … 2/7
    Dandy-candy … 1/6
    Dumpling … 0/15
    FurryBeastOz … 0/12
    Gresleyrover … 0/5
    Karcher … 0/6
    Knit Witch … 0.75/10
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    MallyGirl … 0/6
    Monnagran … 0/5
    Sa1sysoo … 0/14
    Short_bird … 0/6
    SIRENS … 2.5/16
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tessie bear … 0/13
    TiredTrophy … 0/10
    Zafiro1984 … 0/14

0 st 6.25 lb
    V3ry - £555.59
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 1st Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    And I did...6.7km. ...somewhat slowly.
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 2nd Oct 17, 8:05 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Good Morning all, reporting in after holiday as promised and I need to! Heaviest I've ever been! I've said I'm going to post my weight and measurements in hopes it'll make me a bit more accountable so here goes! Weight-13st 10lbs!!! Fat percentage (from posh but very old bathroom scales) 43%. Measurements, B. 42.5 W. 38 H. 42.5. There I've fessed up. Today is a fast day and I'll be sticking to about 500-600 calories. I'm intending to post as near daily as possible but I really feel I need a lot of cheerleaders so hoping some of you can do that for me and I'll try to reciprocate. Good Luck everyone, first step onto this long and bumpy journey I've committed to!
    Luv PJ x
    I've just realised I haven't said how much I'm aiming to lose for the challenge, I'm not sure of the end date of the challenge but I'm aiming for 1lb a week if that helps. x
    Last edited by PJ1; 02-10-2017 at 8:12 AM.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 2nd Oct 17, 8:53 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Well good luck PJ1 with your challenge.

B. Coffee with milk, beetroot juice, half an arvo...just very odd.
    L. Eggs and bread in some way. Green salad from the garden
    D. Might be sri lankan curry with another expat family....from there ..usually rather hot. Otherwise salmon.

E. Cycling to town and house cleaning
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 2nd Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 40,075 Thanks
    monnagran
    Weighed this morning and to my relief it is a STS week. I have a feeling that it's better than I deserve but I'll accept it gratefully.

Good luck PJI. My measurements are roughly similar to yours, but I am only 5ft 2ins tall.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 2nd Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    My God YouTube is depressing. I can't do impact exercises so thought I'd find a nice gentle beginners yoga video. Firstly the presenters are all about 18 years old, then the "beginners" video said "Lie on your back with your left knee bent against your chest. Clasp your left ankle then straighten your leg like you are trying to push against the ceiling" Are you #%@!%#@ kidding me??

Yesterday I did what I do everytime I lose some weight - I relaxed my guard and ate bad things. Bad things this time was a dinner DH made with cheese sauce and fried potatoes. Needless to say I felt really sick after, I just can't do greasy food. I'm going to have lots of fruit and nuts today and try sticking to water, I'm a big fan of Ribena but I need to knock that on the head.

B: nuts and fruit
    L: salad, low fat cottage cheese and krisprolls
    D: lentil salad or couscous
    S: I'm going to really try and stick to fruit

I hope everyone has a good day x
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 2nd Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,966 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    It has not been a good weekend for the diet - it never is when DD is away. DH seems to get into this'go out because we can' mentality despite the fact that we get quite a few opportunities to do so these days. So Friday night was out for a curry and several pints of Kingfisher. One of those 'putting the world to rights' evenings.
    Saturday lunch was kippers and nice bread as there was an offer in Waitrose and we hadn't had them for years - I had to talk DH out of a packet each as he thought they didn't look very big.
    I had a riding lesson which was a positive on the exercise front at least.
    Then we went into town to use a movie voucher that was expiring that day. Lovely dinner in Pho - and not too unhealthy.
    I again had to talk DH down from buying a bag of popcorn each in Sainsburys cos they were only a quid and it said 117 calories in big letters on the pack - that was per 25g portion and it was an 80g bag!
    Sunday lunch was more bread and deli stuff and then chicken Massaman for dinner - although I did manage to just use half a can of coconut milk so it could have been worse.
    Oh and friends always do a Macmillan coffee morning and texted me to say they had made a coffee & walnut cake and put my name on it, so I had to buy it. I am not really a cake person - this would be my choice if I had to have cake but generally I wouldn't bother. I think I am going to try freezing half as DH doesn't really like it.
    Luckily WI isn't till tomorrow

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: turkey salad
    D: lightly smoked salmon fillet, new pots, broccoli

50 min dog walk
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 2nd Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,812 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Morning everyone, looks like it could be a fine and bright day today.

First weigh in of this challenge 1.75lb loss.

Good luck PJ1 with your challenge. If you don't mind I'll follow suit and post my weight to help me keep on track as I've a lot happening over the next few months - starting with Cardiac Day Ward this Thursday for more tests.

So here goes, 5'8" tall and 17st 3lb in March 2016, but I'm not absolutely sure of my exact weight at my heaviest as I wouldn't get on the scales. Now 14st five and a half pounds.
    It's been a rocky road some good and some bad weeks, it seems to depend on my stress levels as to how much I eat.

I never mention my weight to anyone, it's a well guarded secret between me and the scales, even my DH doesn't know so this confession is a bit like coming out of the closet after years of hiding.

L: sweated, leeks, mushrooms, tomatoes and peppers added herbs also third of a pack of 5 grains Mr Bens, then several hobnobs the chocolate ones oops
    D: the dog and I enjoyed 2 overcooked pork chops from yesterday, plus I had another serving of my leeks, mushrooms etc as listed above followed by a helping of stewed apples with a bit of ice cream.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 02-10-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: addition
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 2nd Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    My DH has a go out because we can thing too but generally involves a mountain and bikes....then I'm starving!
    He does like to open a bottle of wine or two at the weekend. I find it difficult to resist....

dandycandy...search for curvy yoga!
    Last edited by TiredTrophy; 02-10-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add info
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 2nd Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 26,179 Thanks
    short_bird
    A 0.75 loss for me.
    Have a good week, everyone!
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 2nd Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 40,022 Thanks
    Frith
    Hello again! 13 stones 2 once more so I have returned...

Today:

B - granola and fruit salad from yesterday

L - cheese, HM pickle and spinach sandwiches. A per cent age went to my chickens as I took it with me to eat on the allotment. A banana.

T - will be HM veg chilli plus some bean salad from yesterday. Will finish off the fruit salad.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 3rd Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Morning all, pleased to report a 1lb loss after yesterday's fast, not an official W.I. though.
    So I skipped breakfast and throughout the day I had a litre of sugar free squash with fizzy water, several mugs of tea with skimmed, then I had a ham and egg salad for dinner with fat free dressing, followed by a yogurt, a mandarin and a coffee.
    Feeling please with myself as I often don't manage to sustain a fast so yesterday was good. Allowed to eat today so having salmon fillets tonight, yum yum. Have a good day all,
    Luv PJ x
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    My weight is so stuck.....I lost mid week after a long ride, then it's just back on and fasting gives me migraines...

Had a very small fish curry at friends house and a sliver of birthday cake but had run in the morning and cycled there and back.

Today it's raining. I am working this afternoon so this morning need to clean and tidy and maybe go to the gym and the recycling.

B. Only had coffee so far......
    L. Salmon with broccoli and courgettes, more coffee
    D. Was thinking of a cup of cocoa!
    S. Beetroot juice, banana if I go to the gym
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 3rd Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,966 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

WI today and I am STS which is a minor miracle (I was +4lb yesterday!)

We are off to a gig on Friday night which will involve beer, and then DD has a sleepover on Saturday night so I am going to have to work hard with DH to keep on the straight and narrow

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: HM lentil soup
    D: SC gammon, roasted cauli and bns, something green

50 min dog walk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,080Posts Today

7,925Users online

Martin's Twitter