Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,277Posts
    • 17,626Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 3
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 34,644 Thanks
    monnagran
    [B]pinknsparkly,[B], please keep us up to date with your progress. This is something that I am extremely interested in. The only times that I have managed to lose any appreciable amounts of weight it has been with a very restricted carbohydrate diet.
    I hate it.

I have always said that I would eat anything if it was sandwiched in two slices of bread.
    I adore the stuff and have always made my own. DISASTER.

I am living on my own for the first time and trying to do without bread, potatoes etc with varying degrees of success.

Please let us know every detail of your journey. I wish I lived nearer, I would be with you every step of the way.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 17th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 25,389 Thanks
    short_bird
    Evenin' all!

Hope all are well and not too crazy from the heat and/or humidity.

Happy to announce -1lb this week, more by accident than design.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 17th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Very happy to see the thread up and running again. Thanks so much zippy. When the thread disappeared I had just posted a loss of 2.8lbs for last week but I think it got lost so trying again
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 17th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 27,624 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Had very limited internet access for the last week (and will do until next Sunday at this rate!)

Thank you zippychick for getting this up and running for us!

Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 3.96/22
    CathA … 0/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 1/6
    Doveling … +2/9
    FurryBeastOz … 2.5/13
    GDB2222 … 2.2/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 2.8/4
    Karcher … 0/7
    Knit Witch … 4.5/10
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    MallyGirl … 2/6
    Monnagran … 1/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    SezzaF … 1/7
    Short_bird … 5/10
    Tea Lady … 2/14
    Tessie bear … 1/11
    TiredTrophy … 3/13
    Weewdy … 6.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … +4/20

2 st 4.46 lb
    OS Weight Loss 4.5/10
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    The old thread disappeared?

Hope we didn't lose too much information although it appears over half my posts have gone, not that this overly matters.
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 0lb (27th July 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 9,282 Thanks
    karcher
    Good to *see* you Knit Witch

And thanks for continuing to update our NEW thread

I would like to record a 1lb weight loss and a diminished post count please
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 17th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 49,653 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Hiya everyone

Now the dust has settled and we seem to be 'cooking on gas' again -
    I have a -1lb loss to report for last week

Hope you're all enjoying the lovely weather - make the most of it as it's not going to be here for long (what's new)
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1283....JULY=283.05/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1042....JULY=163.86/200
    Bulk buy.......JULY=10.33
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=103....JULY=19/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=414.96
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =666......Savings = £9250
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,072 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    WI for me and it is a STS which I am very pleased with. It was mine and DH's joint 50th birthday party on Saturday - our birthdays were May and June but friends had kids doing GCSEs so we held off till they were all finished and everyone could come from far and wide.
    I suspect my body reached a point where it simply could not absorb any more Prosecco calories!!!

Onward and upwards (well downwards hopefully), although I did just finish off a big bag of sweet chilli crisps that was open and going to go soft. I hate waste

B: FF yogurt, berries, seeds, maple syrup
    L: LO pasta sauce from last night with added aubergine to make it ratatouille
    D: sausages - LO from post-party cooked brekkie, mushrooms, boston beans, rosti (if I can be bothered to make them)

40 min dog walk
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 18th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Carmen
    Hello again!

Thank you Zippychick👏
    Well done on all the loses 👍

I had a good week...except for the two days my craving for carbs(bad) was too strong and ate baguette and pain au chocolate Knowing I would feel sluggish and bloated the next day
    Still managed to some how lose 1kg

Have a good week everyone
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 27,624 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 6.16/22
    CathA … 0/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 1/6
    Doveling … +2/9
    FurryBeastOz … 2.5/13
    GDB2222 … 2.2/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 2.8/4
    Karcher … 1/7
    Knit Witch … 4.5/10
    Lynnejk … 1/8
    MallyGirl … 2/6
    Monnagran … 1/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    SezzaF … 1/7
    Short_bird … 5/10
    Tea Lady … 2/14
    Tessie bear … 1/11
    TiredTrophy … 3/13
    Weewdy … 6.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … +4/20

2 st 8.66 lb
    OS Weight Loss 4.5/10
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 18th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Hello, can I float it seems it's a nice shiny new thread? Need all the inspiration I can get!!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 18th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 9,277 Posts
    • 17,626 Thanks
    zippychick
    The old thread disappeared?

Hope we didn't lose too much information although it appears over half my posts have gone, not that this overly matters.
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Sadly yes. Explained here

Lovely to see the thread plodding along business as usual. It could be a time to update the first two posts and maybe add in more links etc? If anyone wanted to work with me on this (provide the ideas and I get and paste the links in ) just shout

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 18th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 13,848 Posts
    • 74,111 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Phewwww! Found you!

Just to say that my latest weigh in was 85.2 Kgs, which is a drop overall of 2.3 Kgs. Thanks, KW, for all your work. And thanks everyone for your support.

Mind you, my weight is so up and down at the moment, it's hard to say whether the weigh-in is an accurate reflection of what I've really lost! Will know more in a couple of weeks, I guess.
    Last edited by GDB2222; 18-07-2017 at 4:55 PM.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 10,657 Posts
    • 148,294 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks so much ZIPPY, just back from a couple of days with family and VERY pleased to see the new thread running Thanks for your help yet again, is there anything we as posters can actually do on any of the threads we frequent to actually PREVENT this from happening again in the future?
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 18th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 13,848 Posts
    • 74,111 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Thanks so much ZIPPY, just back from a couple of days with family and VERY pleased to see the new thread running Thanks for your help yet again, is there anything we as posters can actually do on any of the threads we frequent to actually PREVENT this from happening again in the future?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    One of the other threads I am on, we limit ourselves to 10k posts, then start a new one.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 18th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 13,817 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Weigh in tomorrow. I'm not hopeful - Upped my calories with not much more exercise.

Exhausted as I haven't slept the past couple of nights. So just indulged in HM Raspberry muffin and custard. AND because my calories were still too low, Banana and Custard. I'm stuffed. Off for a bath and an early night!
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 27,624 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    One of the other threads I am on, we limit ourselves to 10k posts, then start a new one.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    I don't think we were any where near that though
    OS Weight Loss 4.5/10
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 18th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Sadly yes. Explained here

Lovely to see the thread plodding along business as usual. It could be a time to update the first two posts and maybe add in more links etc? If anyone wanted to work with me on this (provide the ideas and I get and paste the links in ) just shout

Zip
    Originally posted by zippychick
    Thanks.

It's a bit worrying that someone could just come along and keep hitting 'spam'to get a thread deleted. I'm not saying this has happened, but now they know it could happen, someone with time on their hands could have fun and games.

I'm sure if anything is missing someone will let you know. Others will have a better idea than me if anything is indeed missing.

Thanks
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 0lb (27th July 2017)

• CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 18th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I can't even remember what I posted on the last thread, so sorry if I am repeating myself but last Wednesday my GP hit me a bombshell, that i'm likely to have M.E./CFS. Possibly Fibromyalgia and i'm being tested for Sleep Apnoea.

She muttered something about anti depressants as small doses help with sleep apparently, but I dismissed it as I know they add weight.

I'm sadly stuck - no matter what I do, I can't get below 11st 1lb. I'm cutting out wheat for a short period to see if that helps.

Breakfast i've started eating Omelette's instead of the evening. It seems to see me through until lunchtime and then I only eat a little lunch. I have to keep trying new things.

Well done to those who are losing, those who keep trying and I hope everyone is as well as can be.

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 19th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 28,189 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hello...on the chart i need to fess up and say i put on 3 lb last week and this week i have lost one so please knitwitch...

plus 2 for me

cba perhaps your body is telling you you are at a good weight and you need to maintain rather than shift anymore ?
    take care tessa
    on the brink...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,956Posts Today

9,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin