Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,348Posts
    • 17,786Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 26
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    Zafiro, it makes it all worth while doesn't it? I spent so many years avoiding full length mirrors like the plague that it was difficult to stop actively looking for them to surprise myself. Balm for the ego.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 29,123 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 17.16/22
    CathA … 1.4/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5.5/6
    Dandy-candy … 2.2/4
    Doveling … +1/9
    Florence J … 3/10
    FurryBeastOz … 1.8/13
    GDB2222 … 7.74/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 5.6/4
    Karcher … +2/7
    Knit Witch … 1/10
    Lynnejk … 1/8
    MallyGirl … +2/6
    Monnagran … 7/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    RicardaRacoon … 2/9
    SezzaF … +2/7
    Short_bird … 5.25/10
    SIRENS … 9/8
    Tea Lady … 4/14
    Tessie bear … 0/11
    TiredTrophy … +1/13
    Weewdy … 16.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … 7/14

6 st 8.15 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £667.34
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 29,123 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Four people have now hit their target for this challenge (yay them!) and I have started losing again
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £667.34
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    Good for you Knit Witch, and thank you for all you do running this thread. Coming on here and admitting to what I am eating has made losing weight possible in a way nothing else has and I am so grateful.
    Hearing about other people's struggles makes me feel less alone.

Now to keep it up!
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 16th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 6,509 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    We are on holiday in Croatia. There has been serious flooding events, and constant thunderstorms. We are by bicycle....well should be but I have had a nasty virus, confined to an appartment so DH was catering.....stodge.
    Now he has it, so I must look after him but am not yet better.
    So today we had squid. Delicious , low calorie, never done it before, bought from local fisherman who showed me how to clean it , and how to cook it , despite having no shared language. It appears to be very good for one and delicious.
    I so far expect to have put on weight. ..but with no scales, who knows?
    Today
    B. Yog, nectarine, coffee
    L. Sweet cheese pastry
    D. Squid with parsley and dark bread, white wine
    S. Aperol spritz
    I did manage a walk between claps of thunder and drenching rain....we found the vessel we travelled on in 1984..it was rebuilt in 2005 but has the same owner...great to show him our photos of him as a young man!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 16th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I admit I had a bad day on Thursday, at Freshers was given vouchers for free food, I had my chicken sub home made before I left, and got a 6 inch freebie plain pizza at freshers, which I kept for later and went to a place in town that had a free wrap so got chicken wrap there with tiny portion of wedges and diet drink, kept the wrap for supper and the pizza for tea

Yesterday my guts hated me.

Yesterday had a chicken sub for dinner and chicken with potatos and some left over sauce from last weeks take out, today had chicken sub, bowl of cerreal and 2 rice cakes all day.
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 17th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Morning everyone. I'm posting a loss of 0.8lbs this week. Still going slowly but in the right direction. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    dekaspace: be very careful with chicken, it should always be thoroughly chilled or piping hot. Anything in between those two temperatures is dangerous and should be in that state for as short a time as possible.
    Also be very careful where you buy chicken, if they have not stored it as carefully as they should, it could be dodgy for your stomach.
    Keeping the chicken wrap for later would have been fine if it was kept in a fridge, but if you carried it about with you for a few hours it had time to grow all sorts of nasty bugs.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 17th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Sorry you have been ill on your hols Tired Trophy and that the weather has been against you (((hugs)))

I am confessing ahead of time for today as I think it will be a calorific day

B scrambled eggs (dh cooked so when he says he only put a small slice of butter in....) 2 slices of toast (nice thick bloomer)
    D I am cooking chicken korma it is hairy dieters receipe but will be adding small tin of coconut milk and making pilau rice (some butter) have also got Poppadams and am making some naan bread.
    Also just took a a lemon drizzle cake out the oven for pud.

On the plus side I a making chicken miso soup with wlm noodles for lunch tomorrow so should be back on track.... Oh also I made a coconut and lemon polenta cake for Mum as it is her birthday today and she is partial to polenta cake will try and send that home with her tomorrow bar a small slice just so I can tell how it turned out (trying a new receipe)
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/16lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    Food today:

Br: scrambled egg on toast.

Lunch: Chicken breast wrapped in bacon, 2 small potatoes, cabbage, leeks, carrots, peas.
    poached pears with a splash of evaporated milk.

Extras, 3 or 4 prunes and maybe a couple of Crispbreads with peanut butter later.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Am I right that the challenge ends this Friday, the new one begins at the weekend of the 23/24th and goes to Christmas?

So I've brought my weigh-in forward by a day so I can have another weigh-in next Friday morning.

2.5lb loss and hopefully another lb by next FRiday but I'll only know that when Friday arrives.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 17th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 6,509 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hi folks....ho ho so another major storm last night with biblical rain and several sunken boats in the harbour....DH slept through the lot....sheet lightning and all....feeling better today. No scales here and no internet for a few days to come.
    B. Yog, banana, nectarine
    B part two on a short ride that became taking the bike for a climb pushing up a mountain!. ..nut paste pastry
    L spinach burek
    10km walk round the point trying to find somewhere to swim but too windy and wavy.
    D. Vegetable and squid stew, lots of it , two chocolate bananas and a small glass of white wine.

We have to carry provisions for the next three days as there will be no shops....heaven knows how dull bread and warm cheese could get!

Good luck with weigh in s and I totally agree with being careful with the chicken....
    • CathA
    • By CathA 18th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    CathA
    We're off on holiday on Monday so not holding out much hope of losing much next week but plenty of walking planned so hopefully that'll counteract all the food! Happy Saturday everyone x x
    Originally posted by CathA
    And we're back from the land of the haggis! Drove miles last week, taking our friends to interesting parts of bonnie Scotland. Back to reality now.
    Considering what I've eaten last week (Premier inn all you can eat breakfasts, the food of the gods!) I'm quite pleased that I'm now 2.8 lb away from my target. Technically I've gained about a pound but, but, but....... it could have been so much worse!
    Happy Monday everyone x
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    dekaspace
    dekaspace: be very careful with chicken, it should always be thoroughly chilled or piping hot. Anything in between those two temperatures is dangerous and should be in that state for as short a time as possible.
    Also be very careful where you buy chicken, if they have not stored it as carefully as they should, it could be dodgy for your stomach.
    Keeping the chicken wrap for later would have been fine if it was kept in a fridge, but if you carried it about with you for a few hours it had time to grow all sorts of nasty bugs.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I buy frozen chicken slices that I defrost in microwave and leave for 30-60 minutes on plate in fridge after then 4 minutes in microwave more.

I do leave the chicken in microwave for a few minutes after defrosting so its at room temp before putting in fridge just in case too.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 18th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Well after joining the local PAYG gym in May, I've finally got around to booking my induction lesson for tonight. Nervous doesn't begin to cover it. I've got to tell them I need a routine that won't strain my pelvic floor muscles and I need to improve my cardio.

My heart and blood pressure are fine at the doctors, but it's a flat walk all the way - I'm knackered after climbing the stairs but the Dr doesn't see that!

I hope the gym isn't full of 20-something's in Lycra, as I'll be in a lovely outfit of baggy old tracksuit bottoms, an oversized t-shirt and a too tight sports bra. I don't know what to do about taking a water bottle either. I know I'll be thirsty and need one, but I also know if I drink loads I'll never make it through the hour session without a wee break
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 29,123 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Am I right that the challenge ends this Friday, the new one begins at the weekend of the 23/24th and goes to Christmas?

So I've brought my weigh-in forward by a day so I can have another weigh-in next Friday morning.

2.5lb loss and hopefully another lb by next FRiday but I'll only know that when Friday arrives.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    There is sort of a bit of a cross over - but yes the new one officially starts the weekend of the 23rd until just before Christmas

Time to start planning and letting me know if you want to be in the challenge folks!
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £667.34
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 29,123 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 17.16/22
    CathA … 0.4/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5.5/6
    Dandy-candy … 2.2/4
    Doveling … +1/9
    Florence J … 3/10
    FurryBeastOz … 1.8/13
    GDB2222 … 7.74/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 6.4/4
    Karcher … +2/7
    Knit Witch … 1/10
    Lynnejk … 1/8
    MallyGirl … +2/6
    Monnagran … 7/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    RicardaRacoon … 2/9
    SezzaF … +2/7
    Short_bird … 5.25/10
    SIRENS … 9/8
    Tea Lady … 4/14
    Tessie bear … 0/11
    TiredTrophy … +1/13
    Weewdy … 16.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … 9.5/14

6 st 10.45 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £667.34
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    Please put me down for 5lbs in the next challenge Knit Witch. A modest amount but I'm now tackling fat that has been with me for 30 years.
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 18th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Carmen
    Hello all,
    Well done on all the weight losses and the challenge targets reached
    I have fallen near the last hurdle with a +.4kgs gain.

I have not walked as much/far because it has poured almost constantly for six days and comfort eating carp! No defense

I would like to join the next challenge Knit and thank you for making this possible for us

I will give my target some thought and maybe not be too ambitious this time.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 18th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I'm going to go for 6lbs in the next challenge please knitwitch. Might be a bit ambitious, but it would be a nice Christmas gift to myself if I can do it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin