Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,325Posts
    • 17,733Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 25
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Sep 17, 12:03 AM
    • 3,297 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Lots of carbs which some find fattening
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Carbs with me seem to give me the most energy with the lesser come down later, especially potatoes.

Todays intake by the way was lunch of a single butchers beef olive. small amount of potatos and some peas,

Dinner was a singles butchers burger in a roll with some onions

Supper was a small packet of crisps, and a bowl of cereal.

Just bought a electric spiralizer today so hoping that motivates me to have more stuff.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 13th Sep 17, 7:28 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Congrats gresleyrover on the new edition

Well first week on my gp'd refered slimming world and am chuffed with a -7.

Am not too keen on the whole group thing and also they seem to recite everyone's name and say if they're lost or gained which seems a little demoralising to me if you've had a bad week? Last night I just weighed and left.
    Any how I will stick with it for the next few weeks as more than anything I think it's made me aware of how much bread I normally eat and all the 'invisible' snacking I use to do.
    Weight Loss Challenge 9/8lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

WI today and I can report a loss of 2 lbs. I am still purple on the chart but nearly back to the starting point

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: something veggietastic
    D: crispy duck and pancakes - I will need to pad this out with something healthy too. My only defense is that it was on offer!

45 min dog walk
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Am not too keen on the whole group thing and also they seem to recite everyone's name and say if they're lost or gained which seems a little demoralising to me if you've had a bad week? Last night I just weighed and left.
    Originally posted by SIRENS
    I have never done SW but with WW it seemed to vary by leader. The ones I tried would just ask if anyone had a loss that they wanted to celebrate - with the option to say why they thought it had gone well that week. I never went to one that made every result public - I would not have liked that - but I did hear about them.
    Once I got the hang of it I was a 'weigh and go' type - I had monthly membership mainly for the online tools and forum. The demos were always awful
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 36,839 Thanks
    monnagran
    Reminiscence alert.

I first joined WW in the 1960s when the diet was strict and draconian. There were several quite bizarre rules, one of which was the ban on cheese after lunch and the ban on tomatoes until the evening. I never discovered the rationale for never eating cheese and tomatoes together. I stuck to this diet religiously for weeks to no avail, I still put on weight.
    The only thing I regret is the recipe they gave us for making allowable ice cream. I remember that it used dried milk but beyond that the mind is a blank. Pity, I thought it was delicious but in spite of much searching have never found it again.

Never mind, I bet you were not allowed to eat it with tomatoes.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 13th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 28,294 Thanks
    tessie bear
    minus 1 lb for me please knit witch ta xx

interesting to read about the groups i looked in to sw but have never been to a group the diet seems quite sensible but i do think they dont concern themselves with salt proberly as it has no calories....i mean no offence to anyone and am a great believer in doing what is right for yourself but i have to say i find the stickers and the certificates very silly always reminds me of trying to stop ds wetting the bed but like i say if it inspires some thats great xx
    on the brink...
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 13th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I have never done SW but with WW it seemed to vary by leader. The ones I tried would just ask if anyone had a loss that they wanted to celebrate - with the option to say why they thought it had gone well that week. I never went to one that made every result public - I would not have liked that - but I did hear about them.
    Once I got the hang of it I was a 'weigh and go' type - I had monthly membership mainly for the online tools and forum. The demos were always awful
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I tried ww before and found their meetings much nicer, not so much like being at school and banished to the. naughty step if you've been a little wayward!
    I just hope I can stick to it solo.

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 13th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Reminiscence alert.

I first joined WW in the 1960s when the diet was strict and draconian. There were several quite bizarre rules, one of which was the ban on cheese after lunch and the ban on tomatoes until the evening. I never discovered the rationale for never eating cheese and tomatoes together. I stuck to this diet religiously for weeks to no avail, I still put on weight.
    The only thing I regret is the recipe they gave us for making allowable ice cream. I remember that it used dried milk but beyond that the mind is a blank. Pity, I thought it was delicious but in spite of much searching have never found it again.

Never mind, I bet you were not allowed to eat it with tomatoes.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    We do some crazy things in the pursuit of weight loss 😂

• dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    My husband and I went to a SW near us and gave up after 3 visits. It was run by 2 of the fattest women we've ever seen. My DH was 23 stone at the time and they made him look average which he said was hardly inspiring! I threw in the towel when they told us we could drink as much diet soda as we wanted a day, literally gallons if we liked. So much for getting healthy??
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 8,867 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    My DH thinks clubs are a waste of money and can't understand why just cutting down or missing meals won't work. I get really annoyed at him sometimes - he just doesn't understand but then he's never had a weight problem and has tremendous will power. Sometimes I wish some of it would rub off on me.

This time it's been no clubs but I've joined a calorie 'club' online so I can track what I eat and record, and also this thread. I'm keeping quiet about this as I don't want a 'told you so' attitude. So far, so good - 3lb short of 3 stone. I also don't tell him when I've lost anything as it's 'Tell me when you are down to your proper weight' so I don't really get any support either.

What keeps me going are friends who are starting to notice and this thread where I can read about everyone else's trials and tribulations and realise it's an up and down sort of weight loss. Also I can post daily and have a jolly good moan at times.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 194.66/300 £108.98 left
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 14th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I find the act of writing down what I eat is what keeps me on track more than anything, also not omitting of kidding myself that every thing I pop in my mouth doesn't add up. I went to Ww for a few years but it became more of a social meet up then sticking to the diet as I was friendly with a few people and we'd have a chat. This time I can't see that happening the sw meeting was so loud and chaotic, I mainly went just to get all the books and see how it works, I think you have to just fit the good points in with common sense. My dh also rolled his eyes as he has been down this road with me before. I have virtually no will power but the act of writing it down in a book helps a lot for me and having guide lines on treats I can eat helps. I will probably carry on with sw plan but start weighing myself at boots next door to work once my free trial finishes.

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I tried ww before and found their meetings much nicer, not so much like being at school and banished to the. naughty step if you've been a little wayward!
    I just hope I can stick to it solo.
    Originally posted by SIRENS
    You aren't solo - we are all here
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 14th Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    SIRENS
    You aren't solo - we are all here
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    That's so very true, thank you

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: lo carb granola, berries, skim
    L: 2nd half of Morrisons salad bar
    D: SC chilli pork belly with lots of roasted veg

50 min dog walk

Having half a salad bar left from yesterday is a first for me. The spicy chicken pasta salad is my guilty pleasure. I shouldn't like it as I am not much on pasta or mayo - but I do. I had to buy milk/berries so I treated myself to the meal deal, knowing that DD would have the olives (snack) and Innocent smoothie (drink) that you get for the extra 50p. I have never not finished the whole thing in one go. Maybe I am developing a bit of will power, and shrinking my stomach a bit as I was full so it was easy to put the rest back in the fridge.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 14th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    he's never had a weight problem and has tremendous will power. Sometimes I wish some of it would rub off on me.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Will power is my absolute stumbling block too. When I was in my teens and 20s I could eat what I liked and didn't put on weight, but that has all changed. Unfortunately because back then I never had to watch what I ate, I have no discipline now when it comes to eating

A couple of days ago I found a Ripple in the cupboard and began eating it without thinking. 2 bites in I decided I wasn't actually enjoying it, so what did I do? I FINISHED EATING IT!!
    Having been brought up to clean my plate I couldn't bring myself to chuck it in the bin half eaten - I'm such an idiot at times and certainly my own worst enemy when it comes to dieting
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 36,839 Thanks
    monnagran
    We've all been there dandy-candy. I've often told the story of when my youngest gave me his packet of Milky Ways to mind, to stop his brother getting at them.
    It was a packet of 5 and he had eaten 2 of them.
    Yes, I ate the remaining 3 and had to buy another pack before he got back from school.
    Then, of course, I had to eat 2 out of the new packet to make it look the same.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Will power is my absolute stumbling block too. When I was in my teens and 20s I could eat what I liked and didn't put on weight, but that has all changed. Unfortunately because back then I never had to watch what I ate, I have no discipline now when it comes to eating

A couple of days ago I found a Ripple in the cupboard and began eating it without thinking. 2 bites in I decided I wasn't actually enjoying it, so what did I do? I FINISHED EATING IT!!
    Having been brought up to clean my plate I couldn't bring myself to chuck it in the bin half eaten - I'm such an idiot at times and certainly my own worst enemy when it comes to dieting
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    I'm another one guilty of this. I picked up a pack of sweet potato crisps in Mr T the other day - and I opted for these above the beetroot ones due to the high naturally occurring sugar in the beetroot. They really weren't very nice but I still finished the packet
    • JordieLee
    • By JordieLee 15th Sep 17, 1:40 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    JordieLee
    Monnagran it won't let me quote you lol

I had just split from my ex and was hardly eating lol that's how I lost so much not a great way lol
    Debt - £186.72 of £9,422.13

Savings - £176 of £2000
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 36,839 Thanks
    monnagran
    Get you Jordie. It was a relationship break up that removed 2 stones very speedily from my ample frame. I liked the way it made me look, so in the two years since I've been trying to either maintain the loss or, hopefully lose a bit more. It took me 21 months to lose another half a stone and since the beginning of this challenge to lose another, AND I'VE DONE IT.

The good news, 1lb loss this week!!!!!!!!

Bring on the next challenge.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 8,867 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    since the beginning of this challenge to lose another, AND I'VE DONE IT.
    Bring on the next challenge.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Monnagran

Morning all,

I'm feeling upbeat today. The sun is shining and it's not raining but best of all my turkeys are arriving at lunchtime, their house is ready, I just need to strim a pathway through the grass to make life easier to get to them.

I've just spent a happy half hour trying on clothes that were once too small, or tight and moving the odd one onto the rails in the wardrobe. If I lost another half stone I think several more would find their way onto the rails and hopefully a few already occupying space on the rails would find their way into the bin. It's more satisfying than buying new and certainly cheaper. OK, it's taken me many years to begin this journey so it's the retro/vintage look, but my daughter informed me I'd be 'bang on trend'
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 15-09-2017 at 1:54 PM. Reason: typo
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 194.66/300 £108.98 left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,893Posts Today

6,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin