Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,348Posts
    • 17,786Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 24
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    L leftover tomato soup from Friday about 15 pistachios and one biscuit
    middle of the afternoon;- left over pea and ham soup from yesterday, my excuse is that there was not enough to make it worthwhile freezing
    D roast vegetables with herbs, sweet potatoes, carrot, onions, swede, squash and beetroot. maybe a small piece of cheese afterwards and 20g dark chocolate.
    weigh-in day tomorrow
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    FBO: Ah, Italian. Absolutely delicious. Absolutely fatal. No other nationality can cram so many calories into such a mouthwatering forkful.

Want a go with my hair shirt?
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 10th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 6,509 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Which is what I have done today sort of...a drink on an empty stomach leadong to an icecream after dinner...
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Smug smile

No starter. Fish protein fest main (half in doggy bag for lunch tomorrow), No dessert.

It's a real pity you don't get extra weight loss for sacrifices like that I still think I'll have put on weight this week.

Weigh in tomorrow.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Sep 17, 6:38 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 11,553 Thanks
    karcher
    I've sort of given up for now....

I'll start/try again when the next 'challenge' begins.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 11th Sep 17, 7:00 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 6,509 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Kracher...could you..concentrate on maintain and healthy habits such as salad before dinner and a walk after lunch as examples to prepare yourself for the next round?

You are having a tough time...stressfree steps to better physical and mental strength are needed...not figures on the scale!

As for me, well I do have a headache this morning....silly woman...but must clean the house, launder and pack ...house must be immaculate as the landlord is coming with the window people from the airport..measuring for.new soundproof windows it appears, and a maintence check on sanitary fixures etc!

See you all in two weeks
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Weigh-in day today 2.75 loss which means I have lost what I gained from last weekend plus a tiny bit more.

Fortunately, I don't feel hungry at all. I think one of my biggest problems is 'social eating' DH and I are very busy during the day and don't really see each other much even though we both work at home so the evening meal tends to be 'chatting time' and can easily last a couple of hours plus, that's where it's so easy to have just a bit more, be it wine or food. I need to work out some strategies to try and combat this - any ideas?
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 11th Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 26,159 Thanks
    short_bird
    -0.5 thanks.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 11th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Carmen
    Good afternoon all
    Well done on the weight loses and chin up to those still trying.
    I made some banana and walnut bread in the week, but DH seems to think the walnuts are causing pain in his toes so guess who had to eat the bread ��
    Weight loss could have been worse, only[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] .4kgs[/COLOR] lost.

Have a good week
    Last edited by Carmen; 11-09-2017 at 2:33 PM. Reason: Error
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 11th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Carmen
    I give up on trying to hightlight my loss😡😡

.4kgs for me knitwitch
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Afternoon all.

B: berries, lo carb granola, skim
    L: veggie 'noodle' pad Thai.
    D: HM lasagne (high veg, lean meat, little cheese) and side salad

40 min dog walk

I have had savoury cravings all day - I often struggle on a Monday as I am more relaxed over the weekend. This morning I resorted to a ryvita with bovril and this afternoon I hit the pickled onions. I will not cave and have crisps!!
    I have to travel all the way to head office by train tomorrow for a face to face mid year review - 3 hours each way - but at least WI will be first thing. We are having a team lunch in the canteen because I am up there so who knows what that will end up being.
    Dinner will be the second half of the lasagne so at least I know that will be healthy.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    This is sack cloth and ashes week so it was a shame that it was chilly, dark and wet this morning and I felt like comforting and cheering food.

Br: boiled egg and C rispbreads.

Lunch: HM stilton and broccoli soup and a slice of toast, ham, watercress and a tomato.

Extras: SF jelly.

Some great losses today. Congratulations, especially zafiro and Carmen. I'm trying not to be too envious, it's not an attractive quality.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 11th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    -1.6lb
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 11th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 29,124 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 17.16/22
    CathA … 1.4/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5.5/6
    Dandy-candy … 2.2/4
    Doveling … +1/9
    Florence J … 3/10
    FurryBeastOz … 1.8/13
    GDB2222 … 7.74/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 5.6/4
    Karcher … +2/7
    Knit Witch … 0/10
    Lynnejk … 1/8
    MallyGirl … +4/6
    Monnagran … 6/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    RicardaRacoon … 2/9
    SezzaF … +2/7
    Short_bird … 5.25/10
    SIRENS … 2/8
    Tea Lady … 4/14
    Tessie bear … +1/11
    TiredTrophy … +1/13
    Weewdy … 16.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … 7/14

5 st 10.15 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £667.34
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 11th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    How many weeks left in this challenge knitwitch?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Sep 17, 12:39 AM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Wanted opinion on todays intake, had a brunch of like half a mug of veg soup with a potato scone, then for lunch had a chicken sub with a pepsi max and packet of crisps, dinner was small gammon steak with potatoes and peas and supper was half a small bar of chocolate

Yes I know the chocolate and crisps were bad but in terms of overall diet and calories.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 29,124 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    How many weeks left in this challenge knitwitch?
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Two weeks - the next one starts the weekend of 23rd/24th/25th
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £667.34
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 38,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    dekaspace. you are doing just fine. Little tweaks might be to switch to diet coke and to get some fruit in there somewhere, but it is more important that you find something that you enjoy and can stick with. As long as you are losing weight, however slowly, and are enjoying what you are eating +making sure you get a variety of fruit and vegetables every day you won't go far wrong.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Wanted opinion on todays intake, had a brunch of like half a mug of veg soup with a potato scone,then for lunch had a chicken sub with a pepsi max and packet of crisps, dinner was small gammon steak with potatoes and peas and supper was half a small bar of chocolate

Yes I know the chocolate and crisps were bad but in terms of overall diet and calories.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Lots of carbs which some find fattening
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 12th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Just done a round trip of driving nearly 400 miles today so lunch was on the go.
    2 bananas and a M&S chicken fillet the packet said 240gm but the dog had all the skin and a couple of ozs so I'm going to call it 200gm. I put the food in the boot of the car so I couldn't eat anything until I stopped.
    Dinner will be just roast vegs and a pear for dessert.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 12-09-2017 at 7:39 PM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin