Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,325Posts
    • 17,733Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 23
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 7th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Went to the thermal baths with a local friend as she thought it would help my back. It might possibly be feeling better....
    Made some delicious meatballs.

Weighing everything is dull.

No other news
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 36,865 Thanks
    monnagran
    Funny old day today. I was fine until about 5.ppm when I was suddenly ravenous. I was even reduced to hunting through pockets to see if I could find another fluff encrusted wine gum, but no luck.

Food today....

Br: boiled egg and crispbread. I must invent a different breakfast.

Lunch: tuna salad. SF jelly.

Extras...a few prunes and a desperate crispbread and marmite.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,339 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

B: berries, blackcurrant compote, fat free yogurt, maple syrup (blackcurrants are sharp!).
    L: veggie something from the fridge - I rediscovered the spiraliser the other day so it might be courgette/butternut 'noodle' pad Thai.
    D: lots of bits of leftover India takeaways from the freezer. I call it Thali night

40 min dog walk
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 8th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    STS

Bother.

Better luck to everyone else.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 8th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    - 2lbs for me please knitwitch
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 36,865 Thanks
    monnagran
    STS for me as well.
    I blame the fluff.

Br: boiled egg and crispbreads. Quelle Surprise.

Lunch: A sausage, bacon, mushrooms, a tomato or two, baked beans.
    ............. SF jelly

Extras. 1 or 2 prunes and whatever desperation demands.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 28,193 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 16.28/22
    CathA … 0.2/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5.5/6
    Dandy-candy … 2.2/4
    Doveling … +1/9
    Florence J … 3/10
    FurryBeastOz … 0.2/13
    GDB2222 … 7.74/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 5.2/4
    Karcher … +2/7
    Knit Witch … 0/10
    Lynnejk … 3/8
    MallyGirl … +4/6
    Monnagran … 6/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    RicardaRacoon … 2/9
    SezzaF … +2/7
    Short_bird … 4.75/10
    SIRENS … 2/8
    Tea Lady … 4/14
    Tessie bear … +1/11
    TiredTrophy … +1/13
    Weewdy … 16.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … 4.25/14

5 st 1.82 lb
    OS Weight Loss 1/10
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 8th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 25,811 Thanks
    short_bird
    Evenin' all!
    Please note, I am not asking for medical advice here!

I don't know if I mentioned it but I have an underactive thyroid gland which is being treated by daily medication. This year's blood test was followed by a phone call to reduce my medication. I wondered if anyone had personal experience of this reduction?

I have Googled it: a lot of the threads are American in origin and rapidly become discussions about the superiority of desiccated thyroid extract versus the synthetic product.

Cheers!
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 8th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,171 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening folks

Well done to those reporting losses this week

At l-o-n-g last I can report I've managed to lose 1 lb

Now to try to shift some more

Good luck to those yet to WI this week and for everyone for next week
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 8,875 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Still struggling to lose the bit I put on last weekend but it is slowly disappearing. Two days to go to 'weigh-in'. I think (weather permitting) I'll spend most of the weekend on the veg plot. It will take my mind off food and keep my steps up.

L: homemade tomato soup,
    D: 2 sausgaes wrapped in bacon, veg, 1oz cheese and 20g dark chocolate.
    The unplanned bits that I shouldn't have had: 8 rich tea biscuits, 4 water biscuits spread with butter, a whole 400gm tin of baked beans - cold because I couldn't be bothered to heat them. so much for my will power today.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 194.66/300 £108.98 left
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Good morning everyone. It's cold and wet and gloomy here and I have a whole weekend of sitting through rehearsals....trying not to nibble!

B. 1 and half hm saffron buns with butter and coffee
    L.lo meatballs pasta and salad...cold
    D. Packed salad nicoise

All taken from home and weighed otherwise I will gain weight yet again.....and as we go away on Tuesday away from scales I do need to give myself a chance!
    I intend to walk round the block in the breaks.

Probably lots of coffee.

Enjoy the day.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 8,875 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Morning everyone.......up/down up/down up/down that's the pattern of my weight this week, today it's up but I'm not surprised as it was raining yesterday and I spent most of it indoors cooking for the freezer. Hoping for a better day today as the weather looks as if it's cheered up so I'll spend as much of my time as I can outdoors on the veg plot.

L some sort of soup - Made pea and ham soup as I had bits of cooked frozen ham used frozen peas and a small potato and a small onion plus two low salt chicken stock cubes: banana to follow
    D something made with mince - I'm thinking cottage pie with loads of vegetables. I'll cover my bit with swede and carrot mash. DH can have potatoes on his bit
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 09-09-2017 at 5:12 PM. Reason: update
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 194.66/300 £108.98 left
    • JordieLee
    • By JordieLee 9th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    JordieLee
    Hey all. I'm new here.

I need to get back on track with my weight loss. I lost about 4 stone last year, some weeks I was losing 9lbs a week. Then I lost my motivation and have put most of it back on.

I'm trying to get back at it but I'm currently staying at my nans while she's in hospital so I haven't got my scales with me to check how I'm doing and her kitchen is tiny and I'll equipped so I can only make the basics lol plus my partner is fussy and we can't afford to eat separate meals soooooo this is going to be fun
    Debt - £186.72 of £9,422.13

Savings - £176 of £2000
    • CathA
    • By CathA 9th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 4,201 Thanks
    CathA
    Well I'm glad I left my weigh in until today - no idea how but I've lost weight! Not sure how much as some sneaked back on earlier this week, but taking t' other from which I'm now 1.8 lbs away from where I want to be so overall I think that's 1.2 lbs gone ( we'll draw a veil over the bits I gained methinks) We're off on holiday on Monday so not holding out much hope of losing much next week but plenty of walking planned so hopefully that'll counteract all the food! Happy Saturday everyone x x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 36,865 Thanks
    monnagran
    Welcome JordieLee. Losing 9lbs a week? Good heavens, were you severing body parts?
    I had an experience of cooking for two and not always what you would choose to eat when trying to lose weight. In the end I discovered that the only way out was portion control. I gradually reduced the size of my portions and then the size of my plate. It was slow but even 1/2 lb off is better than nothing.
    Today I have eaten exactly the same as I ate yesterday, So far, so boring.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 10th Sep 17, 5:01 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 17,090 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

I had a sausage and chip tea last night from our local chippy as I went into town to watch my grandchildren in the carnival. Afterwards, we had a movie night so that involved a small bar of chocolate . Must Do Better!

So, today is going to be planned out. My meals look like this:

b - porridge and a banana
    l - roast chicken, broccoli, green beans and carrots. Maybe a bit of stuffing too but no potatoes.
    d - Here is where I struggle. It's too easy to make a sandwich but I need to stay off the bread. I will make myself an omelette I think.

I did manage to lose 3lb this week so I would like to lose another 2lb next week to take me down into the next stone bracket.

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices. Take care xx
    September GC - £321.00/£550
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 10th Sep 17, 7:45 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Morning. Thank you all for your congrats, mum and little one doing well. Dumpling thats a great loss this week.
    Surprisingly, considering what a chaotic week I've had, I've managed to lose 0.4lb. Not a huge loss but its down.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 36,865 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh Dear! Oh Dear! Oh dear!
    I go out to lunch with friends and completely lose my head and all my self control..Are you ready for this?

Br: The usual.

Lunch: (takes deep brearh) Turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, new potatoes, broccoli, carrots, mashed swede, gravy and cranberry sauce.
    And if that's not bad enough, I could have skipped pudding but I didn't.

Strawberry pavlova

A few drinks and a guilty conscience.

In my defence I did ask for a small lunch but it wasn't THAT small. The pudding made no pretence of being small, it was huge.

Am now at home sipping a black coffee and about to iron the hair shirt that I will be wearing for the rest of this week.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 14,283 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Don't worry monna I may be joining you. Off out for an anniversary dinner. I'm planning on being good, but its Italian. And the food just seems to jump onto my plate. I must remind myself that DH is making tiramisu for us with steak tomorrow night. I DO NOT need it 2 nights in a row.

I DON'T

I REALLY DON'T
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 10th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Have a nigroni to begin and you wont notice.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

404Posts Today

3,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin