Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,348Posts
    • 17,791Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 22
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 4th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Yay. -4.8lb
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 4th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 29,174 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 16.28/22
    CathA … 0.2/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5.5/6
    Dandy-candy … 0.2/4
    Doveling … +1/9
    Florence J … 3/10
    FurryBeastOz … 0.2/13
    GDB2222 … 7.74/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 4.4/4
    Karcher … +2/7
    Knit Witch … 0/10
    Lynnejk … 3/8
    MallyGirl … +6/6
    Monnagran … 6/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    RicardaRacoon … 2/9
    SezzaF … +2/7
    Short_bird … 4.75/10
    SIRENS … 2/8
    Tea Lady … 4/14
    Tessie bear … 0/11
    TiredTrophy … +1/13
    Weewdy … 16.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … 4.25/14

4 st 12.02 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £607.34
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 8,908 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Well I've had a bad gut today, and as it's DS1 birthday it means I've missed out on pizza, cake, chips and ice cream. Probably a good thing, although I'd rather not have to deal with the cramps

Furry that's a great loss, well done
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 5th Sep 17, 7:28 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Morning all. I'm late weighing in this week as we've been anxiously waiting for the birth of grandchild number four. Thankfully she arrived yesterday evening and she and her mum are both doing well.
    Anyway somehow I've managed to lose 0.8lbs.
    Hope eveyone's having a good week
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 5th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 17,553 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

First of all, congratulations to gresleyrover on the safe arrival of your grand daughter xx

I am having a very busy day so I will start by planning my meals for today.

b - boiled eggs and tea
    l - might take my daughter to 'spoons to talk about how her first morning back went
    d - chicken breast coated with cheesey breadcrumbs, beans and salad. I will do a few chips for the family and try to stop some of them jumping into my mouth...the chips, not the family .

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 6,847 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all.

WI today and I can report a loss of 2 lbs. I am still pretty purple on the chart but when I look back at my records I have gained each summer.
    I started in April '15 at 13st 4 and today I am 11st 6 so I am still doing well.

B: apple compote, blackcurrant compote, fat free yogurt.
    L: I need salad stuff so it depends what the supermarket has on offer
    D: sausage, mash (mine will be carrot & swede), ratatouille

40 min dog walk

DD went back to school today so I have control over my lunches back. I am happy to have odd things for lunch - very light options to compensate for a dinner that won't be light - but I don't tend to do that in front of her. I am very conscious of all the body image issues young girls can face (she is 15) so I try to show her good, healthy eating choices and not mention dieting.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 39,058 Thanks
    monnagran
    Another little grandchild. Another little treasure in the world. Congratulations gresleyrover.

MY food for today..........

Br: scrambled egg on toast.

L: chicken, ham, salad
    sf jelly

Extras. An Apple.
    3or 4 'ready to eat' prunes, very necessary. You will all be too young to remember the Radio Doctor, he broadcast hints on keeping healthy during the war. He used to call prunes, "black-coated missionaries," and he was spot on.

And on that pretty and very personal note I will wish you all another self controlled day. Well, on the eating front anyway.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 28,577 Thanks
    tessie bear
    congrats gresley lovely news

i will never look at a prune in the same way again...i like eating them though

its raining here a very uninspiring day but will do my best xx
    on the brink...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 6,540 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Fresh figs are helpful in that respect and make a delicious light lunch with a blob of goats cheese and wrapped in parma ham on a terrace with a glass of something yummy...fizzy water anyone?.....

However, today's lunch is grated carrot and beetroot with a can of sardines on top and a cup of coffee.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 5th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 29,174 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Congratulations to you and your family on the new arrival Gresley
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £607.34
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 5th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 29,174 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 16.28/22
    CathA … 0.2/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5.5/6
    Dandy-candy … 0.2/4
    Doveling … +1/9
    Florence J … 3/10
    FurryBeastOz … 0.2/13
    GDB2222 … 7.74/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 5.2/4
    Karcher … +2/7
    Knit Witch … 0/10
    Lynnejk … 3/8
    MallyGirl … +4/6
    Monnagran … 6/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    RicardaRacoon … 2/9
    SezzaF … +2/7
    Short_bird … 4.75/10
    SIRENS … 2/8
    Tea Lady … 4/14
    Tessie bear … 0/11
    TiredTrophy … +1/13
    Weewdy … 16.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … 4.25/14

5 st 0.82 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £607.34
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 5th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,740 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Congrats Gresley to you and your daughter.

Also congratulations to Mallygirl - a great loss

L: A friend came so I did fresh pea and mint soup, rolls and coffee
    D:-remainder of the soup plus an omelette with loads of veg.

The weather is awful here so I've been indoors and had coffee on the go all day. I feel a little awash.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 5th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 2,916 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I thought I would post again, my diet is greatly changed and whilst I eat a subway 2-4 times a week its a chicken salad on flatbread and I don't really eat anything else all day.

But decided thats a simple dish I like a lot, so was thinking of basically my entire diet being chicken wraps with salad,

I have lost 1-3 stone in past few months (never take regular readings but def 1 stone lighter than a whole ago and sure I was 2 stone heavier at one point at least)

So yeah on the chicken salad wraps, I was thinking just getting that cheap chicken slices from somewhere like Farmfoods which are 3 for £5 and do 2 or 3 wraps a bag so can live off those, I always say I am not fussy but that isn't strictly true, I eat just about anything but few things appetise me except chicken salads as meat is a pain to get right, and packet foods are often too salty and packed with calories.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 6,540 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    From the point of view of a mum, it looks a bit low on protein, calcium and fibre.I hope you maybe have a glass of milk with that? And lots of salad? Buy a bag of economy mixed salad, plenty of chicken and wholemeal wraps. I know you are not confident with cooking so go for it. Maybe in the winter you could have a cup of soup with it?

But well done on your weight loss so far.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 5th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 8,908 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Won't you get sick of them eventually, day after day deka?
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 5,014 Posts
    • 52,213 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Morning all. I'm late weighing in this week as we've been anxiously waiting for the birth of grandchild number four. Thankfully she arrived yesterday evening and she and her mum are both doing well.
    Originally posted by gresleyrover
    Many congrats and pleased to read both doing well

Extras. An Apple.
    3or 4 'ready to eat' prunes, very necessary. You will all be too young to remember the Radio Doctor, he broadcast hints on keeping healthy during the war. He used to call prunes, "black-coated missionaries," and he was spot on.

And on that pretty and very personal note I will wish you all another self controlled day. Well, on the eating front anyway.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I do like prunes - but unfortunately only smothered in custard. It's a good thing I don't need to eat them
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=2243....NOV=82.23/300
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1680....NOV=119.65/200
    Bulk buy.......NOV=21.09
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=191....NOV=10/15
    SPC130x60...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843.51
    OS WL= -4/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 6th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 28,577 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi plus 1 lb for me this week....odd as i felt quite slim when i stood on the scales

many thanks
    on the brink...
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 2,916 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Well chicken is one of the few things I don't get sick of, with me its more a mix of cooking skills and judgemental over own cooking that makes me fussy, i wouldn't mind spag bol but its a pain to get just right as I have said in past its the way the meat always tastes like its just been soaked in sauce rather than flavour soaked into the meat.

I will admit it wont be 100% of my diet but my plan was to eat that rather than snacking later in day hence 2 wraps a day as right now I tend to eat the Subway, then not that hungry in evening so eat some biscuits or now and again a small amount of sweets.

I do love noodles but I tend to notice wraps/bread with meat fills me up the most and gives me less energy crashes.

Now im at college I fouind cheap training cafe on site where I got a quiche for 75p, enough for 2 portions so was thinking of half that and a scone for lunch and the chicken wrap for dinner, won't get much hungry after that.

I still plan to have a weekly take out too with friends but even that I have cut back, used to get a large chicken kebab now I share a pizza and chips, not healthy but its half a small pizza and a small portion of chips than big portions and even then fed up with it, that was why I turned to Subway in first place as got the sub, drink and crisps to fill me up without making me feel dizzy/bloated hours later.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 39,058 Thanks
    monnagran
    dekaspace, well done on finding what works for you. We all have such different ways of eating that one diet is never going to suit everyone. I'm sure some people will be tutting at you having crisps and chips but a little of your favourite food is never going to ruin your diet in the long term. Subway is actually very healthy, lots of salad stuff and chicken is very good. Keep it up.

My food today....

Br: boiled egg and crispbread.

Lunch: ham and cheese salad.
    SF jelly.

Extras. a few prunes. A mug of Options. One wine gum found in a pocket. I don't know the calorific value of the wine gum, nor the fluff that adhered to it.
    If I gain weight this week I'll blame the fluff.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,740 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Back to the grind, today started off busy but this afternoon I've just done paperwork so the step counter has had a rest.

L fruit plus one chocolate biscuit
    D roasted vegetables followed by a little cheese and a few nuts. I need to move the couple of pounds I put on last weekend before it sets like concrete
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,086Posts Today

8,379Users online

Martin's Twitter