Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,326Posts
    • 17,748Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 2
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 10,846 Thanks
    karcher
    Bit like the Marie Celeste.....sailing along but no one at the hem and no knowledge of where they've disappeared to.....Oh No.....Maydayyyyyyyyy!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

That made me laugh MrsLW thanks
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 16th Jul 17, 10:56 PM
    • 4,912 Posts
    • 51,535 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Hiya other 'lost' peoples

I thought I had finally lost the plot. Went to post on the thread and I have been looking for it for half an hour. If someone's closed it as least they could have left it up with an explanation.

Does 'Elsiepak' (spelling ?) post on any other threads as she's a chiefy ??

Hope it soon gets sorted
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1984....OCT=238.67/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1486....OCT=131.28/200
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....OCT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 17th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Me too lynn. I posted saturday morning and when I looked later the thread had gone. If anyone listening we miss it and want it back please
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 17th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 4,611 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Hehe, I think it means iv lost all that weight I said I wanted to! It's gone up in smoke with the the thread . No pressure.self imposed I hasten to add.
    Seriously though, it's odd and I'm sorry for all those of you who are heavily invested in it. It's a needless loss in my opinion.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 9,326 Posts
    • 17,748 Thanks
    zippychick
    Right, i'm on the case. I'll report back as I am going to email the team

The dinner thread was auto deleted and the forum team were reporting it to their technical guys.

At a glance it looks like the same thing has happened with this one

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 1:02 PM
    • 9,326 Posts
    • 17,748 Thanks
    zippychick
    Okay,

I've emailed the team to clarify a few points. I have asked if i can retrieve your last "weight loss list post" from the weight loss thread, in order to not "lose" any results

I will respond as soon as I get a response from the team

kind regards
    Zip

• lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 17th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 4,912 Posts
    • 51,535 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Thanks a million for your prompt attention Zippy

Sure we'll all be keeping everything crossed for some success. I do hope we manage to 'save' this one
    Lx
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 9,326 Posts
    • 17,748 Thanks
    zippychick
    Sorry i've not been well the past couple of days!

I just want the teams input to make sure I'm following the right process etc

• gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 17th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Thanks zippy for your help. Hope you're feeling better now
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 28,397 Thanks
    tessie bear
    many thanks zippy
    on the brink...
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 9,326 Posts
    • 17,748 Thanks
    zippychick
    Ill post more in a moment, but here are the last weigh in details from 10/7/17

Is this the most up to date?

Artytarty … 0/14
    Carmen … 3.96/22
    CathA … 0/3
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 1/6
    Doveling … +2/9
    FurryBeastOz … 2.5/13
    GDB2222 … 2.2/28.6
    Gresleyrover … 0/4
    Karcher … 0/7
    Knit Witch … 4.5/10
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    MallyGirl … 2/6
    Monnagran … 1/7
    Pinknsparkly … 0/5
    SezzaF … 1/7
    Short_bird … 4/10
    Tea Lady … 2/14
    Tessie bear … 1/11
    TiredTrophy … 3/13
    Weewdy … 6.5/10
    Zafiro1984 … +4/20

2 st 0.66 lb

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 9,326 Posts
    • 17,748 Thanks
    zippychick
    So this will have to be the new Weightloss thread as explained here

Kind regards

Zip

• short_bird
    • By short_bird 17th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,988 Thanks
    short_bird
    Ill post more in a moment, but here are the last weigh in details from 10/7/17

Is this the most up to date?
    Originally posted by zippychick
    Thanks, Zippy, that looks about right to me for the last weigh in.

Did anyone want to retitle this thread? Sad all that info has been lost though.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 9,326 Posts
    • 17,748 Thanks
    zippychick
    I've merged the "where's the old weightloss thread?" with a brand new shiny one I've pieced together as it's the best I'm able to do. If there's specific data I can retrieve for you then give me a shout. Keywords are good like "Sausage casserole" or whatever it is

Can someone confirms this all now makes sense? It does to me......

Read the first post on this thread.... Ignore the dates on my post lol! It's the data that's important. I've tried to retrieve what I think is most important but do let me know if i've missed something.
    Last edited by zippychick; 17-07-2017 at 4:10 PM.

• lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 17th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,912 Posts
    • 51,535 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Thanks soo v much Zippy

I've pm'd Knitwitch but don't know how to contact the others - hope they find their way back soon
    Lx
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 17th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hello!
    Here I am , currently visiting my Mother in Cornwall, where weightwatching is not possible. ..pasties, cream teas, ice cream, fish and chips...I'm thinking of missing a meal or two to compensate.....! Its so hot and humid that running is unpleasant.
    No scales, so no weigh in.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 28,397 Thanks
    tessie bear
    we back on it...yippee xx
    on the brink...
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 37,671 Thanks
    monnagran
    Zippychick, you are an angel.bout

Well, here goes.

I went out to lunch today and had a delicious sense of freedom in that there was no thread pulling at my conscience and I would not have to confess what I had eaten. Come back home and discovered that my sins were about to find me out.

Br: Allbran and raisins.

L: Scampi, Chips and Peas. It was a 'smaller appetite' one so not too bad.
    Chocolate Brownie and ice cream. Not a smaller appetite one and if I could have found a miniscule print size I would have used it.

So much for healthy eating.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 17th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Found you all again!! I thought I'd managed to do something stupid on my account

I'm (hopefully!) signing up to a four week low carb high fat diet study. I have my pre-study assessment on Thursday and if I pass that then I'll be enrolled. It's not a "true" low carb diet, in the sense that I can still eat veggies, fruits and (within reason) potatoes, just no bread, rice, pasta etc etc. This way of eating is something I've been interested in for quite a while. I struggle with my mental health and have read two books about curing depression naturally by two different doctors who both recommend cutting right down on white carbohydrates. But I've never really known what to do, or how to do it. So being enrolled on a study where they tell me what to do and closely monitor me seemed like the ideal opportunity! It's only four weeks so I figure I can stick it out for that long, and it should be a long enough period of time to see if it works for me, and if I can stick to it long term!

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to feedback how I get along? For now, I'm both enjoying and hating eating what I want for the pre-study week (hating it because I have to record everything I eat, but without letting it influence how I eat which is a LOT harder than it sounds!). I'd happily eat 3000 calories and not feel guilty when I've not recorded it and so only have a vague idea that I've eaten a lot, but seeing it in black and white makes me feel rather guilty..... It's eye opening though, I've only ever recorded my food intake when I've actually been dieting before!
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018
    Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. Currently on 11.9%

• karcher
    • By karcher 17th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 10,846 Thanks
    karcher
    Thanks for your efforts Zippy

It is appreciated and I'm sorry to hear you've not been well.. I hope you are much better now

Please, is there any way this can be prevented from happening again as we've lost two very useful/helpful long running threads in recent times and it would be a shame if it happened again.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin