Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Rosie
    • By MSE Rosie 17th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Rosie
    MSE News: Tesco Bank to close almost 90,000 Clubcard Plus savings accounts
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    MSE News: Tesco Bank to close almost 90,000 Clubcard Plus savings accounts 17th Jul 17 at 3:49 PM
    Almost 90,000 customers with legacy Clubcard Plus savings accounts with Tesco Bank will have their accounts shut in October...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco Bank to close almost 90,000 Clubcard Plus savings accounts'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    How decent of them to use MSE to let me know. I may have to try to upgrade my bank account, but it isn't what I particularly *want* to do.

Every little helps, eh?
    • Fella
    • By Fella 18th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 8,858 Thanks
    Fella
    • 18th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    Must admit we use Tescos out of convenience/laziness as I know the same stuff would be cheaper if we used Sainsburys / Asda & both are nearly as convenient.

Maybe that'll change now.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 19,284 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    Must admit we use Tescos out of convenience/laziness as I know the same stuff would be cheaper if we used Sainsburys / Asda & both are nearly as convenient.

Maybe that'll change now.
    Originally posted by Fella
    You'd save considerably more by switching to Aldi or Lidl! And you'd also find that the quality is either the same or better.

All the old-style supermarkets rely on fear and inertia.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 18th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    All the old-style supermarkets rely on fear and inertia.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Or possibly that they have so many outlets that you are closer to them than to an Aldi or Lidl?
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 42,635 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 20th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    Just bumping this thread as the account closure date nears and there may be some who still haven't heard about this.

Our letter from Tesco confirming the closure arrived over a month after MSE broke the news...I was less than impressed.

Has anyone had their new ClubCard through yet?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Malchester
    • By Malchester 20th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Malchester
    • 20th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    Sainsburys are much more expensive than Tesco, as is our local ASDA. As for saying that Aldi sell quality fresh produce - hhhmmm - in our local ALDI you have to search through packs of fruit and veg that have at least one rotten piece in them.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 20th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 20th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    Sainsburys are much more expensive than Tesco, as is our local ASDA. As for saying that Aldi sell quality fresh produce - hhhmmm - in our local ALDI you have to search through packs of fruit and veg that have at least one rotten piece in them.
    Originally posted by Malchester
    Which branch is that?
    Same at Winsford, Cheshire branch when I go there.
    Is it rife? Or certain managers practice, boosting their bonus?
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • Scad
    • By Scad 22nd Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Scad
    • 22nd Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 22nd Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    We're now off topic but I agree, sometimes the fruit at Aldi is rotten. Never understood how they can get away with not printing best before dates on their packed fruits?!?

As for Clubcard plus ... meh. The best thing about it was the double Clubcard points but you get that with their current account now.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 22nd Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Kim_13
    We're now off topic but I agree, sometimes the fruit at Aldi is rotten. Never understood how they can get away with not printing best before dates on their packed fruits?!?

As for Clubcard plus ... meh. The best thing about it was the double Clubcard points but you get that with their current account now.
    Originally posted by Scad
    Only until April 2019, as I understand it. After that it's only 1 extra point for every £4 spent.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 23rd Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 19,284 Thanks
    Doc N

Originally posted by Scad
    Must be some time since you went to Aldi - they've been putting BB dates on their fruit and veg for a very long time now! And I've found no more rotten fruit there than in Waitrose.
    • vikkiew
    • By vikkiew 24th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    vikkiew
    I figured this was for inactive accounts following years of click bait experience
    • Freeheeler
    • By Freeheeler 20th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Freeheeler
    anyone had a cheque for their Clubcard Plus balance?
    I got the closing statement for my Clubcard Plus account on 19th Oct but no cheque yet. So I rang Tesco Bank today and got a recorded message saying it could take up to 10 working days.
    It's not clear if that is from today, in which case that would be 15 working days in total.
    I am annoyed because I would have taken the money out in cash if I had known it was going to take so long.
    Very unimpressed. And not the way to attract new customers to Tesco Bank.
    • Malchester
    • By Malchester 20th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Malchester
    It is Llandudno where this happens
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 21st Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    Deadline passed no cheque from Tesco
    Deadline passed and no cheque from Tesco however they did send me replacement clubcard feeling very vulnerable.
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 21st Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Their profits no care for the customer.
    I refused to take out my clubcard in protest as it is also a data gathering mechanism.
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 21st Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Must be some time since you went to Aldi - they've been putting BB dates on their fruit and veg for a very long time now! And I've found no more rotten fruit there than in Waitrose.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I have but no cheque no Tesco fruit and vegetables rot as soon as you get home.
    I now use local farms,organic, instead of supermarkets.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter