Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 17th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,080Posts
    • 1,149Thanks
    Beenie
    Optical technician?
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    Optical technician? 17th Jul 17 at 3:34 PM
    On another board, a poster has said that they take their prescription and frames to an optical technician. This is instead of using the High St companies like Vision Express etc.

The savings are good according to her, but I have never heard of this service, and I googled 'optical technician' for my area (Essex) and couldn't find any.

The original poster in based in Wales, so nowhere near me, and I wouldn't be able to use the technician that she has used with success.

Has anyone here heard of these specs providers, and if so, do they go under any other job title?
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 20th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 20th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    Optical technicians are the people who physically make the lenses and generally work within and are employed by the optician. Have you searched for "independent" optical technicians in your area, or they might be described as dispensing opticians. There's a company near me called Speccy4eyes or something like that, they are not opticians but make up glasses according to your prescription.

There are also online companies like Glasses Direct or something similar. Do careful research before using these companies though, especialy if your prescription is complicated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

7,009Users online

Martin's Twitter