Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martin L82
    • By Martin L82 17th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Martin L82
    Am I going to get a job offer?
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    Am I going to get a job offer? 17th Jul 17 at 2:53 PM
    I had an interview today and I've been looking online at signs my interview went well. A lot of them, if true are a good indication. My interview lasted about 45 minutes and twice during the interview me and the lady interviewing had an off topic conversation which was nothing to do with the job.

She also showed me around and asked me what my uniform size was. After the interview ended she told me if I don't hear back from HR by the end of the week, to call them because they can sometimes be slow. I want to think I am going to get a job offer but not getting it there and then kind of casts doubt in my mind and now I have the pain staking wait of whether or not I did impress during the interview.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,173 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    Yes. No. Maybe?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 17th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    I dont think so....
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 17th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 18,568 Posts
    • 18,831 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    It's quite likely that they are interviewing other candidates, and that the questions are the same for all. Therefore

1. They won't let you know until they have finished the interview round
    2. The questions you were asked have no bearing on the likelihood of you being offered the job.

Having said that, I'm not trying to be negative. It's a good sign that you feel it went well. Good luck but don't panic if you don't hear for a week or so.....
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    You can have the best interview you've ever had, and the interviewer can end it thinking they are definitely going to employ you and deliberately go out of their way to give you that impression.

If the person they interview next is even better, you won't get the job.

It's pointless speculating.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    I've just been through 7 interviews with no job offer! During some I knew I wouldn't have accepted even if they had offered, 3 I thought I did well and 1 I thought I did badly. So to sum up - you can't tell. Its horrid but you have to wait. Good luck though.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 17th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    Signs look good but you can't tell. I always look towards the end of the interview and try to pick up things from the interviewers body language. Particularly When they ask if you have any questions. Are they genuine or Do they just want you out the door as quickly as possible?
    Good luck
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:36 PM

If the person they interview next is even better, you won't get the job.

It's pointless speculating.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Unless multiple positions available? Or you know you price yourself right ! I always remember when I was really young, a much more experienced hotel worker turning up to interview, who, my employer at the time really wanted but can always recall them muttering "they would be to expensive" to even make an offer on their exit.

OP Enjoy the moment and best to sleep on it, anyway, did you find out why the vacancy had come about? As I also believe that is also so important in today's culture and again as to quick decisions.

I'll try not to add to the speculation and old wife's tales, but if they talk about frequency of pay or how the first month arrangements will go without any prompt that can also be a good sign! The uniform sizing sounds good warm to me. Imagine if you end up with 2 offers same day as they are like buses!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 17th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Sanne
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    They are all good signs but in the end you never know until the call comes.

From the other side of the table, we've had a couple of occasions where my interview partner gave clear signs that he wanted to hire the person - neither got the job. One we were both keen on - she didn't get it either as, after her second interview, business decided to pull the role.

I tend to act more obvious if I don't think someone is suited to a job but I have interviewed with people who kept asking very detailed questions and gave very detailed answers to the candidate's questions (even to the point of engaging in deep conversation off the back of those questions) so you really couldn't have told.

Good luck and fingers crossed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,376Posts Today

7,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin