Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 17th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,585Posts
    • 1,444Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Neighbours extension, proximity to conservatory
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    Neighbours extension, proximity to conservatory 17th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Our neighbours, who we get on well with, are planning an extension to their property. It will be a ground floor extension extending across the rear of their house with a second floor extension on the side furthest from our boundary.

We had no issues with what they are proposing, they kept us fully informed throughout and have now received planning permission.

I had a feeling that due to the proximity of the extension to our foundations (we are semi-detached) that the party wall act might come into play - I mentioned it to my neighbour and having looked into it himself he agrees and when the time comes (they may not start work until next year) promised that anything that needs sorting will be.

My main concern having given it some thought is the depth of their foundations and the proximity to our conservatory extension which is about 40cm away from the boundary dividing us - their extension will be built right right up to the boundary so only a couple of feet away. He mentioned that the foundations would be quite deep, something like 1.2m. I have no idea what the foundation depth for our conservatory is (it was built by the previous owners) - its a gable style conservatory with a dwarf wall base.

Does their extension pose any significant risk? Is this something a party wall surveyor would look at? Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 17th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    Furts
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    A typical requirement would be your neighbour trench filling their new foundations. This will put the concrete height above a 45 degree line from the base of your conservatory foundation.

You may want to trial hole your conservatory foundation first. Everything would probably be OK provided your gardens are good ground, not made up fill. Also your neighbour must dig and concrete with reasonable speed - do not leave open foundations overnight, or subject to rain. You do not want your conservatory sliding into an open trench!
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 17th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 9,589 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    Tell your neighbour you wish a party wall surveyor to be appointed to represent your interests at their expense.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 17th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    A typical requirement would be your neighbour trench filling their new foundations. This will put the concrete height above a 45 degree line from the base of your conservatory foundation.

You may want to trial hole your conservatory foundation first. Everything would probably be OK provided your gardens are good ground, not made up fill. Also your neighbour must dig and concrete with reasonable speed - do not leave open foundations overnight, or subject to rain. You do not want your conservatory sliding into an open trench!
    Originally posted by Furts
    Thanks. We're having the garden dug up in September anyway so that would be a good time to dig a trial hole and see what's down there.

Sounds like its probably nothing to worry about so long as neighbour's builders do things properly but it does sound like it would be prudent to have a party wall surveyor appointed when the time comes (as per advice above).
    • Furts
    • By Furts 17th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    Furts
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    Your neighbour may have to dig and concrete on a hit and miss basis, or perhaps shore up your foundations with trench sheets. It depends on your conservatory foundations - but either option would make matters complicated. It might even be decided that your conservatory needs underpinning. All items for you to ponder over.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 17th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    Sounds like its probably nothing to worry about so long as neighbour's builders do things properly but it does sound like it would be prudent to have a party wall surveyor appointed when the time comes (as per advice above).
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Getting an independent party wall surveyor in is 100% your right, but be careful who you pick, its a minefield of trouble as once you appoint you cannot change and there are some real cowboys out there.

Also as your neighbor will have to now pay for 2 lots of surveyors, which could be avoided if you agreed to use there surveyor, be prepared to not get along with them anymore.
    • fezster
    • By fezster 17th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    fezster
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    Sounds like you get on with your neighbours well and they want to do the right thing here. So appoint a decent (ideally recommended) party wall surveyor that you both agree to and work with them to come up with a solution which will protect your conservatory.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    Tell your neighbour you wish a party wall surveyor to be appointed to represent your interests at their expense.
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    I'm glad I've not got you living next door.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 17th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    I definitely think trying to mutually agree on a PWS would be the way forward, there's no need to my neighbour to incur the expense of two. Presumably if we jointly instructed one they would act neutrally?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,011Users online

Martin's Twitter