Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alex_163163
    • By alex_163163 17th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 98Thanks
    alex_163163
    Structural building work quote - seem fair?
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    Structural building work quote - seem fair? 17th Jul 17 at 1:55 PM
    Hi all,
    Just hoping for a bit of input into whether this quote seems fair please?
    I've never had any structural work done before so not sure what price to expect! I will be obtaining other quotes but this is the first one I have got. Please let me know if further info is needed to make a judgement!

£2500

This includes:
    a. Erect dust screening to form the worksite and to protect all assets of the property.
    b. Acro prop support to ceiling joists.
    c. Demolish the existing internal structural steel supports between the kitchen and dining room.
    d. Supply 1 no steel beam fitted to the ceiling line together with concrete supporting pad stones! (as to structural engineers specifications)
    e. Make good the abutments ready for plastering and make good affected floor area
    f. Apply fire rated plasterboard cladding to the steel beam ready for the plastering
    !
    g. A Structural Engineers design will be required! (I've already paid for this separately)
    !!!!!!!!!!!
    !
    h. Apply for N.B.C. Building Regulation Notice approval before works commences.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Building Control Fee’s are to be paid by the client)
    Please note;
    1. The following price does not include any plastering (we are getting this done at a slightly later date when we redo the kitchen)
    2. The following price does not include any painting or decorating.
    3. No allowance has been made for replacement for coving or skirting board.
    4. No allowance has been made for replacement for Floor covering
    5. The following price includes all labour, plant and materials in connection with the above works, unless otherwise stated.
    6. All debris in connection with above works is to be removed from site on a daily basis and to be left in a clean work like manner.
Page 1
    • MrBluesky
    • By MrBluesky 17th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    MrBluesky
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    Prices vary a lot on property location,

The length of the beam is not stated,this gives an idea of the amount of work required,

Have you had other quotes ?
    • dharm999
    • By dharm999 17th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    dharm999
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    VAT included or on top?
    • Gottobeabetterway1975
    • By Gottobeabetterway1975 17th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gottobeabetterway1975
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    Agree - this type of work varies hugely depending on where you are. Moved from Home Counties to Devon and our trades are a 3rd less at least. A&B cost the builder virtually nothing, the cost is the amount of steels required and how long to carry out the work. Goes without saying go for 'fixed price' and agree the standard of 'making good' ask builder if he will be sole job till completed - e.g. Not start then delay as 'other job is taking longer, emergencies etc.' On my 4th renovation now and I've had the lot : ) also had great experiences, always squeak to a previous customer. Good luck and enjoy the new kitchen, always worth it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,184Posts Today

6,680Users online

Martin's Twitter