Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Empor
    • By Empor 17th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Empor
    Regular or solid state hard drive?
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    Regular or solid state hard drive? 17th Jul 17 at 12:15 PM
    I'm looking for a pc for a small office to do the basics. I've had good experience with Dell's before. They have a Vostro 3268 with a 500GB hard drive, and the same model for £10 more with a 128GB 2.5inch solid state drive (class 20).

Any recommendations as to which would be better? Never had a pc with a SSD before but I've heard they're faster to load up. Most files will be stored on a server so the difference in storage shouldn't be a factor.

Any help much appreciated!
Page 1
    • sk240
    • By sk240 17th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    sk240
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    Hi,

If you are not going to be storing much on the system, then i would go dor the SSD every time, you will be amazed how fast it is if you have not used a system with SSD before :-)
    It looks like is has an SD card slot on the front so you could expand easliy using that, or there is also the option of adding in another SSD or larger (2.5") mechanical drive at a later date.
    Or if your worried get the 256Gb option, but i dont know if its worth the extra £100 to you (although it has a quad core instead of sual, and an extra 4gb of ram too)

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-xrhvk/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell-vostro-3268-core-i5-7400-8gb-256gb-ssd-dvd-rw-windows-10-professional-fghjd/version.asp
    Last edited by sk240; 17-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 17th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,043 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    Agree with SK for speed go SSD if storing go with normal drives.

This is mainly due to SSD wearing out quicker from read writes (althogh if you backup its not a issue)
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    FYI Vostro 3268 £345
    https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/vostro-3268-sff-small-form-factor-intel-core-i3-7100-3m-cache-3.90-ghz-4gb-hpv68/version.asp
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 17th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 13,002 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    SSD every time. Every laptop I've bought I've eventually swapped the HDD for an SSD and it's added many years of new life to the useful life of the machine speeding it up HUGELY. Best single upgrade you can make.

Spend a few quid on an external hard drive if capacity is a worry, but I've never had an issue
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    SSD for speed

HDD for space.

Hybrid for a bit of both.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 17th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 2,088 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    Check Dells Warehouse deals. and I'd go with a SSD if possible but don't sweat it (You can pick up a cheep half decent 60Gb SSD for £30 these days)
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    I hate to be boring and agree with others but this is a no brainer, especially if data is stored on server.

It is not just faster at loading up, it takes the slowest component in the machine and makes it as fast as ram.

It makes your machine fly although you will soon get used to that speed and then it makes going back to other machines with conventional hard disks difficult.

Office apps load in about a second, in fact it is hard to find an app to suitably test it, camtasia used to take forever to load, now it takes 7 seconds.

Windows experience Index is not a good basis for benchmarking but even it increased from 5.9 to 7.8

I did a performance test but Laptop was running a load of stuff already so may be faster, also bear in mind that my aging Laptop does not support 6gbs Sata only 3gbs, still despite that the Passmark benchmark shows it to be 5.3x faster:

The only negative is that if they fail they fail badly so usually no chance of data recovery, but no issue if data is on server or backed up onto external disk regularly..

These drives use an algorithm to write data where there has been least use, this extends the life of the drive, mine has a 10 year warranty, which suggests the thing will outlive me!
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,942Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin