Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 17th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 8,840Posts
    • 8,533Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    Upstairs Remodelling
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    Upstairs Remodelling 17th Jul 17 at 11:51 AM
    Thanks for reading, I wanted some thoughts on our remodelling plans if anyone has an opinion.

We live in a 4-bed semi and have spent the last year remodelling downstairs. It is now almost entirely open-plan kitchen/living/dining room and we have just converted 3/4 of a long garage to a family room and have around 60sq mt of space across these two rooms (plus utility room and downstairs shower room).

Upstairs is a different story, we have 1 decent sized double bedroom (master) with en-suite, 2 small doubles (one is a playroom and one my daughters room) and a small single bedroom which we use as our office. Given the size of the bedrooms the house feels quite unbalanced and the playroom under-utilised. It is all quite squeezed up here and have come up with an idea to make the rooms larger and space a bit more efficient (as was originally developed organically as extended twice).

Current and proposed plans on link: https://ibb.co/dEZGfF

- Move from 4 to 3 beds, moving the office into the larger bed 3 (with the 3rd bed being a play/guest/office).
    - Move en-suite next to existing bathroom and give floorspace to daughters room. If we are smart with the plumbing this would also allow us to add a small toilet/sink to her room at a later date.
    - Move hallway to extend bed 3.
    - All walls we plan to move are stud-work so should be relatively straightforward. The solid walls are being left in place.

Whilst this should rebalance the house and roomsizes my concerns are as follows:

- 3 beds, large impact on price/attractiveness even though the bedrooms would be much bigger?
    - Hallway would be very small.

For context: we have one child and cannot have any more and plan to stay in this house for at least ten years if not longer - it is ideally located for school, town and the train station. We would have room in bed 3 and the downstairs family room for guests.

All thoughts/criticisms/advice welcome.

SoCo
    Thinking critically since 1996....
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 24,053 Posts
    • 66,667 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    A small hallway may not such a big deal.

Reducing from 4 to 3 bedrooms is going to make a difference to the acheivable price. Three bedrooms with a large amount of downstairs living space may also feel unbalbaced, simply because fanilies generally expect upstairs to match down in terms of floorspace.

That said, if this is a long term home then you should do what you want to live with and pay less attention to future residents.

Ideal is to find a compromise that doesn't move walls too much and might allow people to move it about themselves too.

The floorplan looks a bit awkward. The purple room is essentially containing a corridor itself to make the main hallway smaller.

Ultimately, your family set up means always having a spare room.

Personally, I would open up bed 4 to be a dressing room, which automatically gives you more space as it empties your bedroom for just a bed and maintains the position of the ensuite, saving a fortune.

Your little one can have two rooms. You don't need to remodel every single room just to accommodate more space within each room.

You could knock a doorway through between her room and the spare and then she can have that - her demands will change over time and ultimately she will love a double bed in her room and a little lounge area and dressing area. My 12 year old would die for that!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ST1991
    • By ST1991 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    ST1991
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    Looks good, but the rooms are a little bit oddly shaped...

If it was me i would block off the main bathroom and bedroom 4 from the hallway. Open these up via the master bedroom, to have a walk-in wardrobe following through to an ensuite.

The current ensuite could then become the family bathroom.

Of course this doesn't solve the size of the other bedrooms...
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 17th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    With the rise of working from home, losing the 'office' completely seems a step backwards.

Agree with the other posters that shrinking the hallway so drastically will feel strange and the odd shaped rooms may not add much usable space anyway.

>If we are smart with the plumbing this would also allow us to add a small toilet/sink to her room at a later date.<

Hmm....

Last edited by I have spoken; 17-07-2017 at 3:54 PM.
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 17th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 8,840 Posts
    • 8,533 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    A small hallway may not such a big deal.

Reducing from 4 to 3 bedrooms is going to make a difference to the acheivable price. Three bedrooms with a large amount of downstairs living space may also feel unbalbaced, simply because fanilies generally expect upstairs to match down in terms of floorspace.

That said, if this is a long term home then you should do what you want to live with and pay less attention to future residents.

Ideal is to find a compromise that doesn't move walls too much and might allow people to move it about themselves too.

The floorplan looks a bit awkward. The purple room is essentially containing a corridor itself to make the main hallway smaller.

Ultimately, your family set up means always having a spare room.

Personally, I would open up bed 4 to be a dressing room, which automatically gives you more space as it empties your bedroom for just a bed and maintains the position of the ensuite, saving a fortune.

Your little one can have two rooms. You don't need to remodel every single room just to accommodate more space within each room.

You could knock a doorway through between her room and the spare and then she can have that - her demands will change over time and ultimately she will love a double bed in her room and a little lounge area and dressing area. My 12 year old would die for that!
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Thank you, yes, you raise some excellent points.
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 8,840 Posts
    • 8,533 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    With the rise of working from home, losing the 'office' completely seems a step backwards.

Agree with the other posters that shrinking the hallway so drastically will feel strange and the odd shaped rooms may not add much usable space anyway.

>If we are smart with the plumbing this would also allow us to add a small toilet/sink to her room at a later date.<

Hmm....

Originally posted by I have spoken
    Thanks, I meant add a toilet/wc room to hers like a little "pod" type bathroom. I have stayed in a hotel where there was an open toilet in the middle of the room - bloody weird!?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,547Users online

Martin's Twitter