Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 17th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 229Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Best way to make your house smell nice?
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    Best way to make your house smell nice? 17th Jul 17 at 11:26 AM
    Hello all,

I am hoping I could get some advice. Now that we are in summer I've put aside my lack luster smelly candles till winter and I'm not looking to put them back out to be honest and wondering what would be the best way to make my little place smell nice. Not that it doesn't but we have two messy pups and I worry that I might of gone nose blind as they say.

What does everyone else use? I don't want a plug in (will use electric) and have no idea of something like potpurri will work.

Any ideas would be great and hopefully I've made sense!

Nessy
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,809 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    Fresh air in copious amounts is cheap enough.

But if your home has that doggy smell, I would concentrate on a deep clean rather than a camouflage job. Start with your soft furnishings.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 15,073 Posts
    • 122,205 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    I agree open the windows and if possible clothes straight of the washing line ironed in the sitting room . I don't like the chemical smell of air freshners, I just open the windows back and front and hopefull a through breeze works a treat
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 5,676 Posts
    • 32,729 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    Another vote for fresh air - open doors / windows and get a breeze through.
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 17th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    Hello all, thank you for the reply's!

I already open all the windows for at least an hour even in Winter as I read it in an old Housekeeping book from the 1950's . Rather a slight obsession of mine. I was more wondering about adding a smell to the house if it was possible, naturally.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 9,541 Posts
    • 103,108 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    I wouldn't bother adding a smell, tbh; fresh air on its own (as long as you don't live downwind of a tannery or the sewage plant lol) should be enough. As long as the pups are kept groomed and are healthy, they shouldn't be a problem.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • hanb
    • By hanb 17th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    hanb
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    If you want a smell added, I use Zoflora (lots of different scents you can try) to wipe over the kitchen, bathroom and the floors and it leaves a lovely smell that lasts quite a while. I'll also sometimes just pop some in the sink with boiling water to steam! Bouquet is my favourite scent

Others pop it hoovers and all sorts to keep the smell about.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 35,564 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    Another vote for Zoflora. Twilight Garden is my fav. My tip is to add a dash to any water you use for cleaning.
    My DIL and DS2 left me with a very doggy smelling sofa. Febreeze did a good job initially but the smell came back. I added some Zoflora to a bowl of water and dipped an old towel in it, wrung it out well and rubbed it all over the noisome sofa.
    So far so good.

I have all my windows and patio doors open and a lovely sea breeze wafting through the house. Bliss!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    Fresh air is always best but another vote here for Zoflora for floors, sinks, bath, taps etc. If you make up a dilute solution in a spray bottle you can use it as an air freshener too. Available in most sms but it's cheaper in £ shops. Also make sure your soft furnishings and carpets are cleaned regularly.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Aug GC: £200 - £100.40 = £99.60 NSDs 14/35
    July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 17th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 4,951 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Quite by accident after doing some DIY, I discovered that using the Hoover with its bag full of fresh wood shavings makes a great air freshener.
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 21st Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    DianneB
    Another vote for Zoflora here! They do one especially for pet odours called Mountain Air, got mine from the pet section in Pound Stretcher, I wash floors with it and it smells gorgeous. Pink grapefruit for the bathroom!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 21st Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 12,309 Posts
    • 11,742 Thanks
    Chris25
    yes I use Zoflora too. I like the Spring Bouquet or Hyacinth. I dilute some into a spray bottle and after I've washed my front steps, and they've dried, I give them a spritz so it always smells nice for visitors

Another thing I do if we're going to have visitors is to fill the cloakroom basin with diluted Zoflora and let it out just before they come.

I also use it to rinse and spray the bins and dustbins
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 14,885 Posts
    • 37,166 Thanks
    elsien
    What sort of flooring do you have? Sprinkling bicarb on carpets and leaving for a bit then hoovering (you can also add essential oils) helps for a while.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 21st Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    Callie22
    I'm a big zoflora fan too - I'm very fond of the cinnamon one and I stock up in the winter to see me through the year! I find using it neat to wipe out bins is a great way to keep a room smelling fresh.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 21st Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 50,226 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I have windows open too, including all night (weather permitting.)

But for a quick blast of something scented, I put a splash of fabric conditioner in the kitchen sink - with the plug in place of course - and add a kettle full of boiling water, it wafts very nicely throughout and makes the place smell of clean laundry!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 48.15

• simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 21st Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Thank you everyone, once again almost missed this one as I didn't know I need to subscribe to my own threads! It seems Zoflora is very popular so I will have a look into it!

What sort of flooring do you have? Sprinkling bicarb on carpets and leaving for a bit then hoovering (you can also add essential oils) helps for a while.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Thank you for this @elsien we have hardwood in the kitchen/lounge on the ground floor and carpet on the stairs and the two small bedrooms upstairs so I will be giving this a go!
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 21st Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 3,800 Thanks
    Fen1
    Please be careful about using Zoflora around pets. You MUST follow the safety instructions or you could harm your pets.
    http://www.zoflora.co.uk/pet-hub/pet-safety-faqs

I would suggest thorough deep cleaning, including getting a professional in to do carpets, rugs and furniture. It is also amazing how much dust and dander get trapped in curtains.
    • p00
    • By p00 22nd Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    p00
    My son always freshens his car with fabric softner diluted with water and sprayed on the carpets and back seats. Smells lovely for days

xp00
    • MoaningMyrtle
    • By MoaningMyrtle 23rd Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    MoaningMyrtle
    last week i washed a denim jacket in ariel liquid and left it hanging in the hall to finish drying, it made the whole house smell lovely for a couple of days.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 23rd Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 12,309 Posts
    • 11,742 Thanks
    Chris25
    Please be careful about using Zoflora around pets. You MUST follow the safety instructions or you could harm your pets.
    http://www.zoflora.co.uk/pet-hub/pet-safety-faqs

Originally posted by Fen1
    It's a good point and I should think it would be the same for any disinfectant or chemical based cleaning solution.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,204Posts Today

8,730Users online

Martin's Twitter