Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • miss_goodbottom
    • By miss_goodbottom 17th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    miss_goodbottom
    In Debt Crisis or Not In Debt Crisis; That is the Question...need another way out!
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    In Debt Crisis or Not In Debt Crisis; That is the Question...need another way out! 17th Jul 17 at 11:11 AM
    New to this Forum as looking for alternative solution to my ongoing debt issue. The facts are 1) Credit Card debts currently totalling around £10K - 2 cards, one for purchases maxed out and the other used for 0% Balance Transfers but also now at its limit so no further transfers possible. 2) I am a homeowner with a Partner who pays the Mortgage. 3) I am currently unemployed and have been for over 2 years following redundancy from reasonably well paid public sector job in NHS. 4) My Partner has been shouldering all the financial responsibilities since this happened including all utility bills, food, car running costs etc and whilst we are keeping the roof over our head and wolves from the door, his finances are cut to the bone. 5) My Parents have been helping me with funding to pay the debts but the situation is getting untenable, embarrassing, impossible leading to friction and arguments. Want to really stop relying on them altogether, it's not right in my eyes. 6) Because of unemployment cannot go down any re-financing route, eg remortgaging or new loans/credit. 7) Currently the monthly payments are a) about £200 to Barclaycard and b) £30 minimum payment to Tesco. I also pay monthly mobile contract of £21 out of funding assistance from my parents. Will be happy to receive any advice or views, good or bad!

Also to add, my partner is full time working with earnings around £23,000 and I am not in receipt of any welfare benefits at all. I did receive JSA for 6 months (contribution based) back in 2015 but that was all.
    Last edited by miss_goodbottom; 17-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    Hi,

Are you named on the mortgage, or is it just your partner ?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    Why are you not in receipt of JSA?

Why are you still out of work after 2 years? I don't know where you're located and what you did in the NHS, but are there really no jobs you can do? If you're looking for another 'reasonably well-paid public sector job', you might have to adjust your expectations somewhat - you can't really afford to be unemployed any longer!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 9,187 Posts
    • 116,853 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    Agency work ?
    Sun, Sea
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 17th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    Why are you not in receipt of JSA?

Why are you still out of work after 2 years? I don't know where you're located and what you did in the NHS, but are there really no jobs you can do? If you're looking for another 'reasonably well-paid public sector job', you might have to adjust your expectations somewhat - you can't really afford to be unemployed any longer!
    Originally posted by ReadingTim

It's means tested so total household income will be above the threshold. However the OP needs to make sure they're still claiming NI credit otherwise their state pension will be missing years of contributions.

To the OP: You need to be finding some source of income. If the jobs market is not favourable and you're just unable to find permanent work, have you signed to the local agencies for temp work?

Take a look at the Boost Your Income boards here for other ideas including inventive ways to get a few extra £ in your skyrocket.

Outside of that? For now, talk to a debt charity as you look like a perfect candidate for a DRO.
    • miss_goodbottom
    • By miss_goodbottom 17th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    miss_goodbottom
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    Hi,

Are you named on the mortgage, or is it just your partner ?
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Both my partner and myself are named on the Mortgage.
    • miss_goodbottom
    • By miss_goodbottom 17th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    miss_goodbottom
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    It's means tested so total household income will be above the threshold. However the OP needs to make sure they're still claiming NI credit otherwise their state pension will be missing years of contributions.

To the OP: You need to be finding some source of income. If the jobs market is not favourable and you're just unable to find permanent work, have you signed to the local agencies for temp work?

Take a look at the Boost Your Income boards here for other ideas including inventive ways to get a few extra £ in your skyrocket.

Outside of that? For now, talk to a debt charity as you look like a perfect candidate for a DRO.
    Originally posted by StopIt
    Thank you both...yes you are correct re means testing - I was only given 6 months of JSA then was put on National Insurance contribution "stamp" only. I stopped that after a few months as it was exasperating wasting time and fuel all the way to the Job Centre for nothing. I was notified I had just over 28 years of work contribution for State Pension and the qualifying period is 30. I am 46 years old and despite this "low period" I fully intend to work another 2 years or more before age 67, so I am not phased by not going to the Job Centre to continue this. My partner earns too much for me to qualify for any other benefits, tax credits, council tax reduction etc etc.

You are of course, all right, the unemployment is an issue and must be resolved.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:15 PM

Originally posted by StopIt
    Both my partner and myself are named on the Mortgage.
    Originally posted by miss_goodbottom
    Cant do a debt relief order if your a homeowner sadly.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 17th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    Thank you both...yes you are correct re means testing - I was only given 6 months of JSA then was put on National Insurance contribution "stamp" only. I stopped that after a few months as it was exasperating wasting time and fuel all the way to the Job Centre for nothing. I was notified I had just over 28 years of work contribution for State Pension and the qualifying period is 30. I am 46 years old and despite this "low period" I fully intend to work another 2 years or more before age 67, so I am not phased by not going to the Job Centre to continue this. My partner earns too much for me to qualify for any other benefits, tax credits, council tax reduction etc etc.

You are of course, all right, the unemployment is an issue and must be resolved.
    Originally posted by miss_goodbottom

Ignore my previous addendum about a DRO then. If you're named on the Mortgage you are not eligible for that, sorry.

I'm afraid the only solution is to earn the money to pay the debt off, one way or the other. As long as you're fit and able, you should be able to find employment of some sort, but I certainly understand that it's easier said than done.

It's not something that really needs the job centre though, employment agencies would be a better bet if you're willing to walk in and say "Get me doing something".

Edit: Cross-Post with Sourcrates and yes, I made a wrong assumption because the OP stated their partner was paying the mortgage.
    • Neo187
    • By Neo187 17th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    Neo187
    One thing i might add is that 2 years unemployed is quite some time. I was also made redundant 2 years ago, and it took me almost 1.5 years to get another job. However, I was be far too lazy, and relying on my payout to keep us going. I quite rather enjoyed the time with the family! However, it got to a point where I needed to pull my finger out and get a job I wanted. You really have to put the effort into finding one. The Job centre was useless and a waste of time. But you have to open your options to other sectors etc. I was only aiming for one specific job role, which is why I got nowhere. Now, Im in a role that I enjoy even more than my last, and earning more money. I didnt even think I would get an interview for it, but sometimes they can see specific transferable skills and experience to offer them. Good luck!
    Started comping: September 2013
    Wins so far: Cunard QM2 Cruise, X Factor final tickets, £1,000 Team build day, Dinner at the Ritz with Rolls Royce limo

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,050 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    It's actually a good thing that you're not in a position to go down the "refinancing" route as it sounds like you've previously shifted debt to 0% to try to deal with it?

First up as others have said - get an income. It doesn't need to be massive, or high powered, it simply needs to pay the bills. Your self-respect will thank you for it. If you can think of a few local firms you might enjoy working for then contact them directly with a short CV and an enthusiastic introductory letter - you never know your luck. Failing that, local rag, agencies, online job sites etc.

Sort out the NI thing - you've paid in all these years, there's no point in leaving yourself with a hole in the middle of your contributions. There are different levels of "qualification" for state pension I believe plus we never know what might happen in the future - personally I wouldn't be leaving myself in that position.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin