Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DanF91
    • By DanF91 17th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DanF91
    Additional Damage since work carried out, where do I stand?
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    Additional Damage since work carried out, where do I stand? 17th Jul 17 at 10:28 AM
    Hi,

Hopefully someone will be able to advise me on where I stand with the below.

On the 21/06 I put my car in for a service and MOT at a garage I have been using for the last few years. After they have done some testing they called me to say there was an issue with a few of the glow plugs (they asked me if it sometimes struggles to start when it's cold as this is what would cause this, which it did quite regularly)

I agreed to have the four plugs replaced and the car has been starting perfectly since, however this was until I was away camping with friends over the weekend (15-16/07) and after stopping for diesel and going to pull away the car began to misfire.

I have AA relay cover so called them out, when he arrived it was found that one of the glow plugs had been forced out and he was unable to refit it due to the thread in the cylinder head no longer being there, he was however able to do a temporary repair of putting a screw where the glow plug should be.

I reluctantly agreed to the temporary repair as I was assured this would not increase the work to repair the cylinder head so a glow plug could be fitted again, I am now concerned that the garage will attempt to shift the blame onto the AA for addition damage caused by their temporary repair but as this issue has never happened during my three years of owning the car and occurred less than a month after the work was completed I believe the garage should be liable for completing the repair as in my opinion they have caused it and was also "unofficially" told by the AA it has been caused by them.

I've never had an issue with work carried out on my car before so would appreciate guidance on how to proceed with this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    societys child
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    It's not uncommon for the threads to strip. Using the bolt is unlikely to have caused any further damage, and you know the garage better than anyone on here, so should have a better idea of how they might respond.
    I suppose you could remove the temporary bolt and replace the plug before limping back to the garage?

• arcon5
    • By arcon5 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 13,102 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    If the threads damaged to the point a glowplug wont tighten it's more than likely he's forced a larger thread bolt in to the hole to seal it - although either way it'll need repairing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin