Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ey_up
    • By ey_up 17th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 298Posts
    • 59Thanks
    ey_up
    Laptop and two external screens
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    Laptop and two external screens 17th Jul 17 at 10:28 AM
    Hi all,

Please would someone help me configure my set up. I have a laptop (screen 1) and two additional monitors (Screen 2 and 3).

One of the additional monitors is connected to the laptops VGA port (Screen 2) and the other (screen 3) is on the HDMI port (using converter to VGA but I dont think this effects anything) (I cannot use HDMI as the screen is DisplayPort &VGA only).

At the moment I am in three screen mode with extended desktop and I can only see options to have screen 1 and 2, screen 1 and 3 or all screens but not screens 2 and 3 with laptop lid closed.

I would like be able to close the lid on my laptop and just use the two monitors when I am at my desk. Is this possible? How do I configure this?

I am on Windows 10 using a Del laptop.

Thank you
Page 1
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 17th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 9,600 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    might have to do it every time, but can you set the two externals as 1&3?
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • ey_up
    • By ey_up 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    ey_up
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    Thank you for replying but unfortunately not, this isnt an option under the multiple displays drop down.

I get the options below and none of them do what I would like.

i) duplicate 1 and 2
    ii) duplicate 1 and 3
    iii) extend desktop to this display
    (iv)) turn off this display (for external monitors only)
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,927 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    almillar
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    What is the laptop, and more importantly, graphics on it? You will have more options with the NVidia, AMD or Intel drivers installed, rather than the stock MS ones.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 17th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 9,600 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    Thank you for replying but unfortunately not, this isnt an option under the multiple displays drop down.

I get the options below and none of them do what I would like.

i) duplicate 1 and 2
    ii) duplicate 1 and 3
    iii) extend desktop to this display
    (iv)) turn off this display (for external monitors only)
    Originally posted by ey_up
    yes, but you should (with the correct drivers) be able to assign which screen is 1, 2 and 3, THEN choose 1&3 from the dropdown....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • RobTang
    • By RobTang 17th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    RobTang
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    Not all laptops esp the older ones support more than one additional output even if it has the physical ports for more than one external monitor.

We really need the laptop make + model to give you an answer.
    • ey_up
    • By ey_up 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    ey_up
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    Hi guys. Thank you for the replies. Its a Dell Vostro 15 and device managers says it has a Intel HD Graphics 620 display adapter.
    • ChristianC123
    • By ChristianC123 17th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChristianC123
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    just use a VGA->DVI adapter and a HDMI->DVI adapter for my extra 2 monitors.simple to setup, no extra drivers or configurations to deal with.Or you can use VGA Splitters . With the right drivers installed you can happily drive dual displays, and in the case of a notebook even 3 monitors.

Regards,
    Christian
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 6,927 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    almillar
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    Not all laptops esp the older ones support more than one additional output even if it has the physical ports for more than one external monitor.
    We've already established that OP is outputting to *3* screens. He wants to re-assign them.

OP, install the Intel drivers and see if you get better options for screen assignment within these settings...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-620.html
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 18th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Rather than do it in the Windows software, have you tried switching displays using the keyboard Fn key? On this Dell it's Fn plus F8 although may be different on yours.

John
    • ey_up
    • By ey_up 18th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    ey_up
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I have only just seen the hot keys option so will check this tomorrow but as it turns out the solution was actually quite simple once I spent sometime today playing with the options.

For the benefit of future readers, there is an option in display settings to turnoff the screens individually. This only appears as an option when a screen is not selected as the primary screen therefore I could not see it before. I only noticed it when I was experimenting and set my second screen as the primary which then opened up the option on the laptops screen. Happy days.

Thank you
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Go into display settings and set one of your external displays as the main screen ..
    Then you should be able to disregard the laptop screen and close the lid ..

Edit : I see that's what you did ... wake up Andy !!
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,086Posts Today

7,196Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin