Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colette32
    • By colette32 17th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 109Thanks
    colette32
    0 WOW
    Holiday travel insurance nightmare!
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    0 WOW
    Holiday travel insurance nightmare! 17th Jul 17 at 10:27 AM
    I booked a holiday of a lifetime for myself and my husband to Australia and then a cruise around New Zealand in March 2016 for October 2017. A family member became ill in October 2016 spending 4 months in hospital. I had 12 months insurance up until March 2017. I renewed the insurance as a single trip in March for the holiday with a different insurance company. I have paid £2500 off the holiday. This family member is ill again and has come to stay with us which means it is unlikely we will be able to now take the holiday. Will I be able to get any money back on the insurance bearing in mind the family member did not have this condition when we booked. If so which insurance company would I make the claim off? Also as they were not travelling with us will we be able to make a claim.
    Alternatively if we cancel and are unable to make a claim on the insurance can we ask the travel company to sell our flight? Can we ask Royal Carribbean to postpone our cruise or put the money for the cruise in an account for us for us to use on another cruise At a later date? I know other cruise lines have done this for friends I have spoken to. But going through a cruise company would this be possible. I am now due to pay the balance of the holiday and don't know what to do I am desperate for advice.
Page 1
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 17th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    can you post this on the relevant thread this thread is for flight delay compensation
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 17th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 10,848 Posts
    • 7,076 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    this is the flight delay board, You would be better posting on the insurance board
    you would need to check your policy to confirm whether cancellation for someone not travelling would be covered and whether that would have required declaring their hospital stay was required when you took the policy
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 17th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 18,721 Posts
    • 43,033 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    Did you inform the insurer of the pre-existing condition when you took out the new single-trip policy?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 8,842 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    You'll probably discover a fairly clear pre-existing condition problem when you claim.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 17th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    Is the current illness in any way connected to the previous illness? If so, it is unlikely you will be covered unless you declared it when you took the policy out and it was agreed to cover it.

Even if it isn't connected it will depend on whether the relative was considered 'healthy' when you took out the insurance.

The original policy will not cover anything after it ran out.

What do the terms and conditions on your booking say about cancellation?

You can always ask about deferral but whether they agree will be up to them.
    • leespot
    • By leespot 17th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    leespot
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    This claim isn't for one of the travellers is it? It's for a family member who needs looking after, meaning that the people travelling can no longer go?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 18,721 Posts
    • 43,033 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    This claim isn't for one of the travellers is it? It's for a family member who needs looking after, meaning that the people travelling can no longer go?
    Originally posted by leespot
    Yes, but you still have to declare pre-existing medical conditions of family members who, if their health deteriorates, would prevent you from travelling.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 12,780 Posts
    • 8,254 Thanks
    photome
    Op you need to ask all those questions to your insurers, TA, Cruise company etc etc.

The big question though is did you mention your family member to your insurer and declare exisiting conditions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin