Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uncommonadvice
    • By uncommonadvice 17th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 145Posts
    • 89Thanks
    uncommonadvice
    Debtor traced, pre-action sent, what next?
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    Debtor traced, pre-action sent, what next? 17th Jul 17 at 9:15 AM
    I received a judgement for £8000+ back in November 2016. This is regarding a former tenant. My solicitors traced him and sent a "pre-action" letter with no response. I would now like to take this further but my relationship with the solicitor has broken down. What should be my next step?

The solicitor has never provided me with a copy of the judgement and they didn't reveal the address of the ex-tenant.

When I asked the solicitor what to do next they basically said "nothing until you pay us £XXX", and trust me that £XXX was a large amount of money and had never been mentioned until that point (I had paid requests from them up to that point).

This is a well known local firm of Solicitors with a long history.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.
Page 2
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 17th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Drip drip drip. It's like pulling teeth with some posters.

Surely when they said you owe them money, you asked them what for?

Care to share the outcome of that conversation?
    Originally posted by mrginge

I suggested on another board that this site should advertise a full time vacancy for a dentist to scan new posts in a sort of triage process before new posts are allowed.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 17th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 5,661 Posts
    • 7,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    They are saying I owe them money, and that they won't carry on until I pay up.
    Originally posted by uncommonadvice
    perfectly standard. Ask them for an invoice, and then pay it.

if you believe that amount they are asking for is wrong, then make a formal complaint.

Their complaints procedure would normally be provided in your client care letter sent when the file was opened. If it wasn't, then ask them for it.

Solicitors have a 'lien' over a file allowing them to keep it until they are paid any bill which is due.

If you don't understand how the bill has been worked out ask for a break down.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 40,192 Posts
    • 45,932 Thanks
    G_M
    I received a judgement for £8000+ back in November 2016.

The solicitor has never provided me with a copy of the judgement
    Originally posted by uncommonadvice
    How can you possiby have gone 8 months witthout demanding this?

Have you contacted the court officials and asked for a copy of the judgement?

Have you any idea how the solicitor traced the defendant? A private investigator, for example, might explain the unexpected high bill....

But if the solicitor can trace them, then surely you can too.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th Jul 17, 2:13 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    aneary
    How can you possiby have gone 8 months witthout demanding this?

Have you contacted the court officials and asked for a copy of the judgement?

Have you any idea how the solicitor traced the defendant? A private investigator, for example, might explain the unexpected high bill....

But if the solicitor can trace them, then surely you can too.
    Originally posted by G_M
    The solicitor has the details the OP just needs to pay his bill then he can have the file, what ever he does he will still have to pay the bill or face a judgement against himself. So he might as well pay the bill get all the information and then decide what to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,998Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin