Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PrincessProcrastinator
    • By PrincessProcrastinator 17th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 5Thanks
    PrincessProcrastinator
    Step one of becoming UNprocrastinated
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    Step one of becoming UNprocrastinated 17th Jul 17 at 8:47 AM
    Good Morning all

I'll start by saying that I'm not in loads of debt, but I can feel myself heading that way. I am 25 years old, myself and my boyfriend have just recently got a mortgage together, and we are now renting that house out and living with my parents until the end of next year to save for another deposit for another house.

I completely understand that I am in a bloody fortunate position! I have my own house, and will soon have two! However, we recently had to install new windows and doors throughout the whole house, my car broke down just last week and is currently sitting in the garage and we are going on holiday at the end of August. It all seems so daunting at the moment that I'm finding I cannot sleep.

Something which doesn't help me at all, is the fact that I am the worlds best procrastinator. I have huge plans to save money, make money, lose weight, enhance my career, start an MSE blog.. but I just never get around to doing it. It makes my life extremely difficult, I am always telling myself off!

So, after a huge discussion with my boyfriend, I have taken the reins, and started here. I figured (hoped) that everything else might fall into place with the help of you lovely lot.

Facts:
    - Windows: £4300 0% interest
    - Credit Card: £1127 0% interest
    - Overdraft: £409.54.. soon be a lot more as fixing my car will be paid on to this.

Since last September, I have paid off over £4000.00 in debt, and I want to carry on and not let things slide. The car has really P***** me off, but its my own fault for not having an emergency fund. I need to stop spending so much on food everyday, stop thinking I'm a millionaire after a few gins and buying the whole pub a drink, and start budgeting properly!

I will post a 'sort of'' SOA below, but as I have now moved back in with my parents, we have hardly any bills coming out. This will be more of a spending/saving/motivational diary for myself, and I hope some of you will help me along the way.

Thanks if you've read this far, and I apologise for the word vomit above!

PP.
Page 1
    • PrincessProcrastinator
    • By PrincessProcrastinator 17th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PrincessProcrastinator
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    SOAish
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    I have an average paid job, I come out with £1425 after tax.
    As I am living with my parents, the only bills I pay are below as my boyfriend pays for everything house related:

- Car Finance: £132.90
    - Car Insurance: £27.84
    - Phone: £55.02
    - Cineworld: £17.40
    - Gym: £20
    Total: £253.16

I also budget £80 for petrol per month and £100 for food per month. This should leave me with approximately £991.84 for the rest of the month. I know that seems like a lot of money, but as we are saving for a new deposit for a house which we intend to buy by the end of next year, AND we are going on holiday in August and next May 2018, I need to be saving pretty much all of the remaining money to meet our deadlines. To be honest, my boyfriend works his socks off doing overtime so that we can go on holidays, all his overtime money pays for them, and our wages pay for bills/savings.

I think I just need to knuckle down on keeping a spending diary, and learn to actually stick to my plans. Prime example was last night "I will make my lunch for tomorrow in a couple of hours.. which lead to in the morning.. which leads to not making it at all, which cost me around £7.00 this morning." I'm an optimistic procrastinator, which is such a bad combo!

Any extra tips to make extra income OR to keep motivated/stop being lazy is very welcome! Also, as I am new to this renting business, does anyone have some advice that I should follow? Is there anything I should watch out for? How much should I have saved in expenses in case the house becomes vacant?

Thanks for reading again.

PP.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 17th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 15,282 Posts
    • 38,362 Thanks
    elsien
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    See post number 5 on here. It contains links to everything you need to know with regards to renting.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677806&highlight=ast+landlord

It is also often recommended to join a landlord's association as well. However it has happened you are now running a business and it can be expensive if you get it wrong, don't carry out the correct checks such as Gas certificates etc.

And as the world's second best procrastinator, good luck.
    Last edited by elsien; 17-07-2017 at 9:25 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • PrincessProcrastinator
    • By PrincessProcrastinator 17th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PrincessProcrastinator
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    Lover of Lists
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    Now I've started posting.. I cannot stop!

I absolutely LOVE lists. Its probably because I never actually finish them, so crossing one thing off is an amazing achievement for me.

So I thought I would start with today:
    - Start MSE diary
    - Keep on top of everything at work
    - Exercise this evening
    - Make lunch for tomorrow
    - Tidy bedroom (extremely messy as two people practically live out of it right now)
    - Put a load of washing one
    - Read 3 chapters of books and write up notes

I have ticked one thing off already this morning - yay! Let's see what this list looks like this evening haha.

Thanks!

PP.
    Last edited by PrincessProcrastinator; 18-07-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    • PrincessProcrastinator
    • By PrincessProcrastinator 18th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PrincessProcrastinator
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    Take A Deep Breath
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    Morning Everyone,

So annoyed at myself already and its only day two. I only completed half of my to do list yesterday, its just not good enough to be honest. I need someone to seriously kick me up the ***! Didn't make lunch last night or this morning, so ended up buying lunch again today. My excuse was that I exercised and then sat down to watch GoT (yay) and Love Island but that's £4.00 now gone due to a lack of organisation. I must do better.

Todays to do list:
    - Keep on top of everything at work.
    - Start a spending diary.
    - Read more of a book and write up notes.
    - MAKE LUNCH FOR TOMORROW.
    - Tidy Bedroom.
    - Put another load of washing on.
    - Work out realistic budget for next month, as I get paid on Monday.
    - Sort through things to do a car boot sale.

I really must try hard the next couple of weeks. Me and my boyfriend are going to Croatia for two weeks at the end of August, and I need to save the spending money for that. I also just had to pay £680 to fix my car this morning, the clutch and gear stick both needed replacing, so I'm technically £680 behind. I need to find a way to make that up, whether its E**y, car booting, or surveys.

Wish me luck!

PP.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 18th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 18th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    Hi PP - just stopping by to offer support as another fellow procrastinator.

Question - do you think your goals are achievable in the time you have available? I've learnt in the last year or so (particularly with having two little boys to organise as well as myself) that putting things off just means they don't get done. It's fair enough if I can't do that particular task at that moment (ie. i can't clean the bathroom while the kids are around) but if I'm capable of doing it there and then but choose to do it later, it rarely gets done.

To combat this I force myself to do things - so when hoovering up the mess at the backdoor after the kids have been playing comes into my mind, i just do it straight away. It takes about 3 minutes to get the hoover out, plug it in, hoover up the mess then put the hoover away. It won't kill me to delay what I was doing by 3 minutes, but it will drive me nuts and demotivate me if I don't do it and it gets forgotten.

I also find that setting realistic time goals helps to slot these things in. For example, making lunches for the next day. Instead of that just being on a list of things to do, i'll say that i'll make lunches while the kettle is boiling for a coffee when I get home at 5pm. Or i'll do it while the dinner is cooking. Or i'll decide that when the kids are in the shower, i'll get my husband to deal with them and I'll use that 15 minutes to clean the downstairs loo and put the paperwork away etc.

It's a bit of a ramble, but hopefully my points can offer a fresh perspective on not only setting realistic goals but actually achieving them when procrastination is your middle name like mine!

Good luck!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • PrincessProcrastinator
    • By PrincessProcrastinator 18th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PrincessProcrastinator
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    Thanks JoJoC!

I really appreciate it. I read your message whilst at work, and I don't know what came over me, but I've been running around like a demon all day and only just sat down! Sometimes, I think it takes someone that you don't know to tell you how it really is. I normally ALWAYS tell myself I'm going to do it later, and in fact, never do. But today, I've told myself that I can only sit down and relax once I've completed a majority of my to do list! Anddddd I made my lunch!

Thanks! Lets hope this optimism carries on tomorrow.

PP
    Last edited by PrincessProcrastinator; 24-07-2017 at 2:28 PM.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 18th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 17,225 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    Do you have a microwave at work? I take soup every day, so there is no prep, just grab a can, a couple of bits of fruit & out the door.

I've got one of these too.. link .. so it's easy to heat & eat
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov NSD's - /25 / Lose weight 29.0 lbs / 30lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    Glad my message helped - sometimes it's not until someone points these things out that you realise you're doing them! I know that's how it worked for me and I do still have my lazy times (like last night) where I just need to get the kids to bed and collapse in a heap, but most of the time it works.

And it makes a massive difference when I just spend half an hour getting a few things done and scored off the list. I'm still terrible at overcommitting myself of not being realistic with the time that I have but no one's perfect
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Also, well done on making the lunch!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin