Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    • 2,812Posts
    • 37,912Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 17 July 2017
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17 July 2017 17th Jul 17 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17 July 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Judi - hugs x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Sun shining already warm here, washing ready to go out on the line, will need to water the plants too.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Lunch yesterday was bbq at mum and dads, food was lovely as always. Dinner tonight is fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg - but there's other food left from yesterday in the fridge so that may change, I'll make a decision when I get in from work - may depend how busy we've been and how I feel about cooking! Although I know I'm working a different job this afternoon in an office on my own, so I find that less stressful, but I know a lot of my colleagues don't.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 17-07-2017 at 6:26 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 17th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 15,210 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one. Judi I hope your son turns up soon.

Well its a bright morning, we have had cereal, I will do bacon sandwiches around 11am, we need to be away from here before the hearse arrives, it will block the cul de sac. Don't really want to move the car onto the road. It is going to be a difficult day.

I did manage to watch the men's final yesterday, I thought Federer would win, it would have been nice for his opponent to have done a bit better. It was a bit of a walkover.
    Last edited by csarina2; 17-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 17th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 19,715 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning everyone,

Nice blue skies here but a bit of a breeze.Sending everyone who has troubles a virtual hug
    I feel tired today,I woke early,coughing though it seems to be slowly getting better.DS2s birthday today and he isnt working.We got him some exterior paint for the house he's doing up and some aftershave .Both DGC will be here later,he's doing the pick up from school and nursery.DGS will want the bunting up for his Daddy's birthday tea,DGD will want cake and candles so I shall oblige.Seems like the wedding both DSons went to further North was a brilliant occasion and enjoyed by all their friends.
    Tru- that sounds like a nightmare walk ,other dogs are bad enough,but cows! Ly1a has just barked(not something she does much at all when out) at a gardener wearing a hat & holding a leaf blower who had the temerity to say 'good morning'to me.On Saturday a jogger wearing a high vis vest (another fear trigger) appeared from nowhere behind us and she jumped a mile .I thought she'd settle down a bit once our road repairs had finished and all the workmen gone but it seems not

I might go to town on the bus in a bit,I have 2 carrier bags full of books I want to drop off at the hospice shop,I can use my trolley.I'm a bit stir crazy after the lurgy and not going out.
    Judi hope you hear something soon x
    Speky the baby sound delightful
    Have the best day you can x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 17th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 15,069 Posts
    • 61,287 Thanks
    Judi
    Speky so sorry to hear of the results of your Grans echo. Ticking timebomb maybe but i hope you get more time with her. They say as a nation we are all living longer but i tend to think if the body doesnt give out the brain does.... seems so sad to think the longer we are living the quality of life doesnt increase...

I am getting through the hours just thinking my Prodigal has gone 'underground' like he usually does when he doesnt need me. I dont see him for months on end and then i see him almost daily for a feed.

Ive decided, no more food, no more sympathy... those of you who are Mothers will know how hard this will be for me. My Prodigal is an expert at 'playing' me. The love will never stop but the playing me stops right now as ive seen the opportunities he is giving up to sort his life out.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 11,145 Posts
    • 58,807 Thanks
    elona
    Judi

I am so sorry for the situation your son has put himself into without realising that he is not only hurting you but also damaging his own life chances and choices. I hope you hear something soon.

Just about to hang out the duvet before getting changed, having lunch and setting off to Leeds for an x ray on my knee.

I found out that Millets are having a sale and ordered four tee shirts at £4 each rather than £15 each which will be great for the hot weather and easy to wash and wear.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 9,684 Posts
    • 104,498 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Yet again I seem to have "lost" a couple of days! I don't know why, but lately I seem to constantly be trying to do 6 tasks at once, and having no "down" time whatsoever.

I've skim-read the thread, but very little has stuck, other than the doggie stuff - Tru, you know Scampi best, and you've had considerable success one way and another, so just keep doing what you're doing. He's never going to be a model of canine decorum, but he's getting as good a life as he could wish for with you.
    Sasha sends a friendly paw-wave, and would he like to share a gravy-bone or two with her?

Lainey I hope the canine tum is settled now.

Gotta dash - time for Sasha's walkies.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to those going through difficult times.

Another beautiful sunny day here so hopefully a bit more gardening done later on, apart from that I've no plans but just want to enjoy the good weather.
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 15,249 Posts
    • 123,940 Thanks
    JackieO
    Judi you know your son the best and tough love maybe the answer,hope things pick up a bit for you all.

Speky sorry to hear your news about your Granny, my late husband was told the same and we were lucky enough to have a further five years together. We decided to make the most of every day we had, and did some brilliant things together that we had been putting off for ages.

Your little niece sounds lovely, and I bet your Gran is chuffed to bits to be a Gt Granny.
    I live in hopes of being one before I shuffle off although at the moment there seems to be little sign of the patter of tiny feet even though two of my grandchildren are married, and another two are in relationships. Still it will happen eventually I suppose.

Very warm and humid at the moment and DGS Henry bless him has been toiling in the garden breaking up an old ivy covered fence, and cutting his Mum's grass. His two brothers breakup from school on Wednesday,He is on study leave as he has finished his GCSE's and awaiting his results next month He had a week's induction to 6th form last week which he enjoyed.

DGS Ben is due to return from his trip to Canada on Thursday and I will pick him up from Stanstead. I spoke to him on Facetime on Saturday night, and he says he loves Canada, and was excited to be in New York.He and his g/f went on the overnight bus to NYC from Montreal where they are stayingon Friday night I am so pleased the boys managed to meet up as they are quite good pals. I think Danny took them on a whirlwind tour of the city

I am looking forward to seeing him when he gets back and hearing all about his travels So many opportunities for youngsters to travel today and the world is definitely shrinking .

Right time to get a cuppa to cool down a bit

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 33,566 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening!

It's been a lovely warm but still very windy day here. Wish I'd had some washing to get out. The forecast is for sunshine again tomorrow so I think I'll wash a couple of the living room rugs.

I handed in the second marked material today and had a long chat with a couple of colleagues too. Whilst I was there I printed off some stuff to help prep for Wednesday, not that I think it'll work. I just need to study the job description a bit more, especially the stuff I don't really like doing - staff appraisals, team meetings, marketing and promoting and so on. It's only for an additional four hours a week so I should be grateful of the chance.

Apart from work stuff my trip into town was a waste of time, seems that we adhere to the Glasgow Fair Monday public holiday, no post office, no delivery office and most shops closed too. Not sure I've noticed this before. Now I'll have to go back in tomorrow to post my parcel etc.

My contribution to MSE today has been to eat up the last of the chocolate cake, soft strawberries and almost-gone-off-but-not-quite double cream.

I wish you all a great evening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin