Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    • 2,811Posts
    • 37,898Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 17 July 2017
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17 July 2017 17th Jul 17 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17 July 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Judi - hugs x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Sun shining already warm here, washing ready to go out on the line, will need to water the plants too.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Lunch yesterday was bbq at mum and dads, food was lovely as always. Dinner tonight is fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg - but there's other food left from yesterday in the fridge so that may change, I'll make a decision when I get in from work - may depend how busy we've been and how I feel about cooking! Although I know I'm working a different job this afternoon in an office on my own, so I find that less stressful, but I know a lot of my colleagues don't.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 17-07-2017 at 6:26 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 36,496 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to those in need.
    Flying visit from me as we are on solar power and I cannot charge my laptop and it's almost flat.
    Last week of term and it cannot go fast enough for me.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    karcher
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    Quick post from me too to say thinking of you Judi x

Have a good day all and take care x
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th Jul 17, 6:53 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 17,090 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:53 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:53 AM
    Good morning everyone

Thank you nmlc for starting the thread x
    Hope you get some good news soon Judi, you must be out of your mind with worry xx

It's a bright and sunny morning here. I got up with Steve as I needed a shower and to get dressed as we have the plumber coming to fix the toilet this morning. Lilly was up reading a book when we came downstairs and she said she had been up all night as she couldn't sleep. She has gone back to bed now so I don't expect to see much of her today.

Phoebe and Becky are hopefully going off to school this morning and I have to pop to the post office to charge up my key for the electric. I have also ordered as Asda delivery but that isn't until this evening as it was the cheapest slot.

I will make myself an omelette later for breakfast when my tum wakes up. I'm not sure what to cook for tea though, I will have to go and have a rummage in the freezer and see what I can find. Fingers crossed there will be some sausages in there as I have a hankering for sausage and mash.

Becky's therapist is coming to see her this afternoon so I will have to tidy up a bit and run the hoover round. Still haven't heard about when Phoebe's therapy starts. Hopefully we will get a letter this week. My lovely cmht lady wants me to see my psychiatrist soon as she has some concerns but I am putting it off for as long as possible as we don't get on. I feel mostly ok anyway just tired as I am not sleeping too well.

Becky has just come downstairs looking awful so she won't be going to school again today. I've sent her back to bed and hopefully she will get some sleep. The end of term cannot come quick enough for all of us.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £321.00/£550
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Jul 17, 6:59 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:59 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:59 AM
    Good morning

Thank you for the thread nmlc

Judi hope you have some good news.

Much cooler today, need to get some gardening done. Watched F1 yesterday and had a lazy day.

Nothing exciting happening,

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 17th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 88,753 Thanks
    redruby
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    Morning all

Nice bright day here but looks like its quite windy and there is a chill in the air.

We found a kitchen we love yesterday so we need so get on and make an appointment and have the windows done before we can do the kitchen, I don't want people clambering over the new counters to put new windows in, so will ring a couple of companies today, I need to ring Ikea and make an appointment with a kitchen planner too.

Will go and rummage in the freezer after this, although there is fresh pasta in the fridge so might have that and garlic bread.

Will need to do a wash tonight and have a sweep through.

Judi any news yet ? xx

Have good days all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

Thinking of you Judi.

It’s a nice sunny start to the day here, which hopefully will last. I went out briefly yesterday afternoon for a short walk and the skies decided to open. I did look a sight when I got home

My kettle decided to blow up yesterday evening, I was sure that I had a spare one stashed away but have been unable to find it. The broken one must have been the spare. I seem to go through a lot of kettles which is why I usually keep a spare. I got caught out a few years back on Christmas Eve and had to go to the local Currys as soon as they opened.

My batch cooking plans went out of the window when I discovered that I didn’t have most of the vegetables that I needed so I will get some bits and pieces tomorrow, I won’t have the chance to do it today.

I need to go and find some breakfast and a cup of tea.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 17th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    Morning all, a beautiful sunny morning here..

I'm having some toast and then a quick shower before heading off to work.

Judi, you and Prodigal are in my thoughts, hope that things start to improve although I know how difficult this would be for him.

Hope that everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 20,979 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC for the start. The sun is shining and forecast to shine ALL day! That means I won't get a lot done as I'll be sat outside in the sunshine reading! First though I want to strip our bed and get the bedding washed and hung out.

No progress is being made on Mr TA's ancient clothes so I can see I shall have to tackle them myself! It's starting to really annoy me now!

I have yet to christen today's meals, though I think lunch may well be the quiche, roast ham and salad languishing in the fridge. Will need to do a freezer rummage before I decide on dinner.

JUDI I really hope you have some news today, I can't imagine how you must be feeling and how worried you are.

Have a good day folks if you can and (HUGS) for all the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Especially JUDI and DUMPLING. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 5,765 Posts
    • 33,545 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

There may be some fair weather today, fingers crossed.

Judi - what a worry for you. It's difficult to 'step back' to see a situation from a different perspective. The instinct is to protect still.

My cleaner is coming earlier today, about 11.30am so I'll go out then to college to hand in the work and do some prep for my interview.

Apart from that I have no plans.

Happy Monday to everyone.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Jul 17, 8:42 AM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Judi difficult decision I'm sure but I guess sometimes cruel to be kind is the best option. Thinking about you...its an awful situation you are in

Supposed to be a hot one today so hoping for an hour in the garden with my book later but lots of work to do before that though.

Food wise I will finish the fish pie from yesterday ...by the time i got round to having it yesterday any trace of hunger had gone even though i hadn't eaten all day. My brother phoned just as I was going to settle down with it and was on the phone for over an hour. I wish he would phone mum instead she loves his calls.

Anyway best get on have a lovely day whatever you are doing and special thoughts with Judi
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 17th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    maddiemay
    A quick hello from sunny Shropshire. I have been reading, but not good commenting on this tablet, hopefully switch back later.

Virtual hugs to Karcher, Dumpling and Judi, also to anyone who needs one.

Need to shake some tail feathers and see what is achievable today. Osteoptath later
    • elf06
    • By elf06 17th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,128 Thanks
    elf06
    Morning all.

judi what a horrid situation for you all. I hope he makes an appearance today.

Well I'm still laying in bed which is unheard of at this time but I am so very tired. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me. Anyway I'm about to get up and put wm on and have a quick tidy up and walk the dog before work. It's my full day at work today so DS will be havingdinner at my my mum's. Not yet sure what I'll have but if the ham in the fridge is still edible it will likely be a ham sandwich, crisps and some grit and yog.

Have a good day everyone
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 17th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,852 Posts
    • 18,179 Thanks
    snoozer
    Judi, I hope you have some news soon. Dumpling, can't you get the CAMHS person to contact the psychiatrist and try to get a referral to someone else. surely any psychiatrist worth their salt will understand that not everyone will feel comfortable with them and that it doesn't help your mental state to worry so much about it. Why not write it down if you don't want to talk about it.

Back from a very quiet weekend in Yorkshire, we did a lovely circular walk from Langcliffe taking in Stainforth Force. We had a picnic but went into the cafe at Stainforth and had tea and cake and when we got back to Langcliffe tea was being served in the Institute there but I refused cake.

DS and DW have had their house offer accepted so now they need theirs to sell.

I need to go grocery shopping but will then see how the day unfolds.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 17,964 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dry and bright here, we are set for a warm day.

Didn't sleep so well and big dog has had an upset tummy this morning so only just having a coffee, no breakfast for me!
    The WM is on, will change the bed next and then whizz through the house ahead of hot temps for the next couple of days, will need to get into town for a card as dear friends of ours have just got married on the quiet so would like to send something.
    Judi all your natural instincts must be to protect, hope you hear something soon x

Right, time to get going, have a good day folks x
    • tru
    • By tru 17th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 8,546 Posts
    • 42,688 Thanks
    tru
    Morning

Thinking of you Judi xx

So disappointed with the advice yesterday. Apparantly I should be doing the complete opposite of what the vet, behaviourist, online articles written by dog trainers/behaviourists, friends with dogs and a FB group with over 11,000 members (including trainers) say. Very long story short – I was hoping for Victoria Stilwell and got Cesar Millan. I could give examples but it's very long and I expect you'll be bored/irritated, lol. I suddenly had a VERY painful hip and couldn't possibly walk any further, I'm so sorry but I'll have to cut this short and go back to the car
    Getting back to the car was like going through a moving maze, the cows had moved near the road and we had to pick our way through them to get near the car. There were seven cows surrounding it Mr tru shooed them off gently and I legged it around the other side when one showed an interest in Scampi and they had a short staring contest

I've picked some onions, potatoes and salad leaves, there's plenty more out there so those three things have been knocked off the shopping list for a while. Broad beans are ready too but I don't feel like I've saved money with those (though of course I have) because I've never bought them from a shop

Work this morning, then I'll get some housework done and do an online shop. It's supposed to be hot and muggy later, or not, depending on which forecast I listen too, lol. I'll either be gardening or reading, depending on how hot it is.

Bulletproof
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 15,243 Posts
    • 123,724 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hugs for Judi, karcher and dumpling who are going through a tough time at the moment Hope things improve for you all.
    and Good Morning all, bright and sunny at the moment and the forecast is good. Had a nice day with DD yesterday, she is a good lass and we tided up the plot at the cemetery where DB and DM are buried and laid some nice flowers down . as it a bit of a journey we normally have lunch out on the way back and we went into Cafe Rouge in Blackheath and had a very nice snack of baguettes and coffee, then drove back to her house where we watched the men's finals on TV.really pleased Federer won, although I felt for the other chap as well.

Son-in-law cooked a delicious leg of lamb for dinner last night and I came home with some for tonight's evening meal, plus a pineapple and coconut ice cream sorbet that DD tried and wasn't keen on, so I will try that tonight for pudding

Not much to do today ,and I'll be off round to DDs as DGS Henry is on his own, and he will help me fill up their garden rubbish bin for the bin men tomorrow.
    probably walk her dogs as well later if its not too hot

Hope you all have a great Monday and the sun shines down on you all

Take care

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Happy Monday

Although the forecast was positive, there's nothing but grey skies.

On Saturday I visited my new niece for the first time. What a little bundle of joy, absolutely beautiful. My sister-in-law is South Korean so there's a mix which is just gorgeous. Her mother and father are over for another week, so we're letting them have some time with the little bundle of joy. Our fear is that they'll try and persuade them to move to South Korea at some point in the future. I recon they will.

My gran got results back from a heart echo and in short, it's not good. A blockage of some sort in the main valve. So although she's living life as per normal just now, it was described as a ticking time bomb. At 82, they recon she's too old for surgery. Not such good news

I've been the gym this morning. Managed most of the housework last night so I've not much planned for this evening.

Judi - Just read up there. Hope you hear some good news today.
    Tru - Hope this hip feels better today.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th Jul 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3,472 Posts
    • 39,996 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning all

I hope you have some good news today Judi, what a worry.
    tru - all this advice must be mind boggling, you know Scampi best and you seem to be doing a great job so far.

The sun is shining here, both DS2 and gf are at work, I think I'll have a cycle along to the beach and maybe get some lunch there.

Hope your gran is ok Speky, the baby sounds beautiful.

Have a good day, take care. Xx
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 17th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    I have been reading but not posting but i just wanted to send hugs and gentle thoughts as so many of us seem to have worries and troubles I hope today brings you some peace and time for yourselves to recharge your batteries x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

6,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin