Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicdigby
    • By nicdigby 17th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    nicdigby
    Do I need an aerial and a booster? Or something else?
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    Do I need an aerial and a booster? Or something else? 17th Jul 17 at 12:24 AM
    Hi there, I hope you can help me out.
    I am moving to a newly refurbished house. There is currently no aerial at all but the builder showed me a wire in the loft and said that I needed a loft in my aerial to attach to the wire, and a booster. He has had a quote from an aerial company and it is £300 for the aerial; "an eight way system with booster."

I'm afraid to confess I have no idea if this is what I actually need! Is it, or do I need something simpler/cheaper?

The house has five tv aerial points in the kitchen, lounge and three bedrooms and I would like to be able to have TV in all of those.

I have had to sign up for BT Vision + broadband and phone as there are limited options in the area I am moving to.

Please can you tell me whether the aerial, an eight way system with booster is actually what I need?

Many thanks everyone!
Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    First thing to ask are you in a town or rural. Are you near the local transmitter?

Reason I ask it will depend if can put an aerial in the loft or you will have to put it outside.

You say you have 5 sockets. Is there any wiring to them or they are just blank plates,.unscrew the plate and look.

Don't take the builder's word on the choice of installer. It could be one of his mates. As always get aleast 3 qoutes from other companies before you commit. Take the opportunity to ask these companies to find out what you've got. Is there wiring to all 5 points.How will the wiring be done to get them fitted, will wire be ftted along the internal wall undr the carpet or down outside wall. Will an aerial fit in the loft. You must be able to point it towards the transmitter. Further away from transmitter needs a bigger aerial. No point if there is the gables of other house blue cheese ng the signal in the way.

Personally I think £300 is a bit high of a price.
    Last edited by robin58; 17-07-2017 at 1:18 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 17th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    I would say you need at least a "a 5 way system with booster." (as you say you have 5 rooms with sockets and want a TV in each)

They may not come in 5, may have to get a 6 or 8 !

If you only have 1 TV, you might of gotten away without a booster
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 932 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    You say it's 'refurbished'? Does that mean that it's listed by any chance? Can you put an aerial on the roof (best place for reception)?
    • nicdigby
    • By nicdigby 17th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nicdigby
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    You say it's 'refurbished'? Does that mean that it's listed by any chance? Can you put an aerial on the roof (best place for reception)?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    No, it's definitely not listed. Is it better to put an aerial on the roof in general? (Better reception??)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    No, it's definitely not listed. Is it better to put an aerial on the roof in general? (Better reception??)
    Originally posted by nicdigby
    Of course, there's no tiles/joists/roof felt ect in the way and best of all it's higher.

Downside is that it's infinitely harder to access and there's a longer run of cable.
    • nicdigby
    • By nicdigby 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nicdigby
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    Thanks for your help on this one, much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter