Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,574Posts
    • 6,882Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Hedgehogs
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    Hedgehogs 16th Jul 17 at 8:37 PM
    I can't even remember the last time I saw a live hedgehog but out on my last walk of the day with my dog I just saw 3 dead ones on 3 different roads
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    I met one on a narrow Highland Road, late last night. I stopped and waited for it to cross and get into the verge.

The night before, I saw the large female hog that lives under my holly tree sniffing her way round the garden.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 16th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 26,979 Posts
    • 78,759 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    We had a couple in our garden a couple of years ago. They were under a bush at the front. I wondered what the noise was. I was scared lol they are very noisy! Then we saw them round the back a few times after that.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 16th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 7,878 Posts
    • 11,833 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    I used to have hedgehogs living under my shed. They woke me up one night as they were snuffling around loudly on my patio and knocking over pots. I thought someone was trying to break in to the house! Not seen them for a couple of years now.

My mum had some in her garden last year. They evicted the tortoise from his outside sleeping place; took over, had babies and then all disappeared a week later.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 16th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 31,382 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    The best hedgehog memory I have, is when I was returning froma night out. I lived with my parents at the time and as I drove down our street home, my parent car was parked in the middle of the road in front of me. I got out to see what the problem was and my Dad told me an adult hedgeholg and a baby were crossing in front of him. He moved them on to the pavement and there he found another baby hedgehog waiting for them. I like to think Mum having crossed one baby to safety, had gone back for the other.

When we moved to our current house 16 years ago, we used to regularly see them in our garden, but not so many in recent years, maybe only 2 or 3 in the last few years. Are their numbers decling?
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 16th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    I think one of the reasons we may not see as many Hedgehogs in our gardens is, we all have big fences now. Years ago it was always a privet hedge, or wooden slats. But the concrete and solid wooden panels we now have, make it harder for wildlife to go garden to garden.
    • gentlepurr
    • By gentlepurr 16th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 4,991 Thanks
    gentlepurr
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    Ive still had the pleasure of a hedgehog in my garden, went to close the curtains the other night, i could see the cats sat outside, and then i saw something else moving, which was a hedgehog, trundling across the lawn and into the rockery where she lived.......i feel so lucky xxxx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 17th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 7,173 Posts
    • 15,448 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    My mum has hedgehogs in her back garden and no one is allowed to use that corner in any way, in case we disturb them. The gardener isn't allowed to tidy it up either.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 12,097 Posts
    • 11,499 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    that's v sad - numbers have declined dramatically in recent years.

I haven't seen a hedgehog in the garden for a couple of years now but I know they're about because I find their poo on the lawn.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Jul 17, 8:26 AM
    • 12,097 Posts
    • 11,499 Thanks
    Chris25
    I think one of the reasons we may not see as many Hedgehogs in our gardens is, we all have big fences now. Years ago it was always a privet hedge, or wooden slats. But the concrete and solid wooden panels we now have, make it harder for wildlife to go garden to garden.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I think it was last year that there was a campaign asking people to pledge to leave a gap in their hedge, lift a fence panel slightly, or cut a small hole in the fence to enable hogs to roam through to several gardens.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    • 27,389 Posts
    • 99,561 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I have never seen a live one in the wild in England, only dead ones.

I saw my first ever live one this year in Croatia, in a very small town park. It sat there while a number of us walked past. I thought there must be something wrong with it, but eventually it disappeared.

Despite having woodpiles and all sorts in my garden, I've never had one in the garden, that I've been aware of.
    I'd love to see some in the garden.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 17th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I used to have hedgehogs living under my shed. They woke me up one night as they were snuffling around loudly on my patio and knocking over pots. I thought someone was trying to break in to the house! Not seen them for a couple of years now.

My mum had some in her garden last year. They evicted the tortoise from his outside sleeping place; took over, had babies and then all disappeared a week later.
    Originally posted by Deep In Debt
    Many years ago in a house share, I was awoken by my housemate who was convinced someone was trying to break in. There was a lot of banging and crashing and the garden security light went on. The noise stopped once the light went on, but movement could be heard once the light went off again. My foolish housemate burst into the garden armed with a broom and set the lights off again, quite startling a family of bangers who were shuffling about on the lawn. They had forced their way through the wooden fence and became regular visitors.

Last year I did have a headghog who used to visit my garde but a few weeks later he got hit by a car on the road a few doors down.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Both my neighbour and myself have spaces for the hogs to get through but very few of the other gardens have done the same

My mum has hedgehogs in her back garden and no one is allowed to use that corner in any way, in case we disturb them. The gardener isn't allowed to tidy it up either.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    My garden is full to overflowing and would normally be a hogs dream home but they just don't come around anymore, I even built a 'winter shelter' a few years ago and although it was used the first year, there has been no sign of their return

This week 69.6
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 7,878 Posts
    • 11,833 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I've got spaces in my fence for them to come through. I also have a "wild" bit at the end of my garden to encourage hedgehogs and other wildlife. Unfortunately, not been visited by any prickly creatures for a couple of years now.

Mum hasn't had any prickly visitors since last year either but the tortoise is pleased as he can go in his cave.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 18th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    pogofish
    I thought the same as I'd not seen any for a few years since the people on each side of me ripped up the hedges and built a wall/fence - before that I had lots of hogs living in/passing through my garden.

so I piled up old timber against the wall and let the holly grow to make a bit of habitat and last year, three were back.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 19th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 13,039 Posts
    • 228,704 Thanks
    mattytun
    I get hedgehogs in my garden because I've got fields at the edge of my garden they come in a lot lovely to see.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • colinw
    • By colinw 19th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 49,432 Posts
    • 135,165 Thanks
    colinw
    I did see one a few Months ago and someone moved it off the road onto some nearby grass, sadly yesterday I passed a squashed one
    It's like kangaroos in Australia I used to see far more dead ones than live ones
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    As a side story, I saw my first ever badger today and sadly it too was dead at the side of the road

This week 69.6
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 19th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    The Last Username
    There used to be gazillions here on the Lincs coast but nowadays you rarely see one.
    A large part of the reason why it seems is the increase in fox numbers - we see loads here and they're not frightened either.
    So here at least it looks like foxes ate all the hedgehogs.

https://thehedgehog.co.uk/how-to-help-hedgehogs/dangers/urban-foxes/

ETA we see loads of badgers here too, both dead and (if you're lucky) alive.
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I wasn't even sure that badgers lived this far north (Fife)

This week 69.6
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,030Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin