Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ridpath
    • By ridpath 16th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ridpath
    Stamp duty rebate on second property (main residence)
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    Stamp duty rebate on second property (main residence) 16th Jul 17 at 8:31 PM
    Hello,

I am planning on selling my main residence and moving into a rental property, buying a replacement residential property in the future (perhaps 6 to 12 months from now).

I also own another property, which I let out. Is there a finite period I am given relief from the additional SDLT for the second property as when I do buy, it will become my primary residence, and therefore be exempt from the higher rate?

Thank you.
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 17th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 9,744 Posts
    • 3,761 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    This is an interesting question.

Details of some scenarios are covered in the HMRC guidance, but I have yet to see one for a sale of main residence some months before new purchase.

The main rules say:

You won’t have to pay the higher rates if you sell your main home on the same day you buy your new home.

If you sell your main home after you purchase your new home you’ll need to pay the higher rate. You can claim a refund of the higher rates if your old home is sold within 3 years of buying your new home.

Which does not cover your position.

I would not be surprised if your solicitor is unsure. It would be their role to clarify this.

I would be interested to see an HMRC response on this one. I suspect it is an angle that was not considered initially (as I recall even the sale of home exception came in subsequent to the initial proposal)
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,942Posts Today

8,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin