Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,369Posts
    • 34,152Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th July 2017
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th July 2017 16th Jul 17 at 7:29 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have something Flylady-related!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

IF ANYONE WANTS ANYTHING ADDED TO THE LISTS, WHEN EACH DAY IS DUE TO BE ADDED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

Right here goes:

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be a hot one today.
    Clean the sink, drainer and taps
    Wipe the work surface you can see
    Level Two
    Hoover and mop the floor
    Sort out and wipe out the fridge
    Level Three
    Clean the WM filters and drawer
    Wash the window
    Wipe over the hob and oven door
    Extras
    • Clean some shoes
    • HHI
    • Deal with a hotspot

Tuesday - Living room, Hall and downstairs Loo
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be a hot one today.
    Hoover/wipe the sofas
    S&S the sink and toilet
    Level Two
    Dust the electricals, front, back, sides and underneath
    Hoover the floor
    Wipe the windowledge
    Level Three
    HH tidying, decluttering, sorting
    Wipe some paintwork, skirting boards, behind the toilet/sink
    Extras
    • Order pet supplies or make vet appointments
    • Clean out pets/pet bedding
    • Check you know when sports day/end of term is
    • No pets or kids?read a book or do some craft

Wednesday - Master Bedroom and Landing
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
    Change the bed, hoover the matress, turn it if you can
    Level Two
    Hoover the stairs, landing and bedroom
    Wipe the window ledges
    Level Three
    Dust any dusty bits
    Deal with hotspots/floorobes
    Wipe the bedstead
    Extras
    • Arrange for boiler service or chimney sweep
    • Recycle any paper/magazines lying around
    • Do something you want to do rather than feel you should!

Thursday - Bathrooms
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
    Clean toilets and sinks
    Level Two
    Change the towels
    Hoover and wipe the floor
    Wipe the splashbacks
    Level Three
    Clean out the plug holes
    Shine the mirrors
    Clean the bath and shower
    Extras
    • HHPaperwork
    • Declultter a drawer
    • Me Me Me time

Friday - Children's Bedrooms or spare rooms/rooms of Doom
    Level One

Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two
    Hoover floor
    HH tidying or decluttering
    Level Three
    Wipe the skirting boards
    Wash an item of soft furnishings
    Clear then dust a flat surface (or 2)
    Extras
    • Find a new recipe to use
    • Sort out your receipts/purse
    • Check dates on passports/MoTs/insurance etc
    Last edited by Natty68; 20-07-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Struggling financially
Page 2
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 17th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,026 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning,

Awaiting carpet fitter. I shall be cross if he doesn't come /call. Missing DD sports day for it. She said she was ok about it, but went in with a little sad face of course that may be something else entirely, or a guilt trip lol.

Rest of underlay up and floor boards vacced and all down the stairway. Made a good start on kitchen and brewed some coffee for iced drinks later

I'm now contemplating my next move... Maybe plot my next grocery delivery while I have a cuppa...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 17th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 36,016 Posts
    • 464,164 Thanks
    pigpen
    first 2 loads hung to dry, second 2 in to wash..

I need to ring orthopaedics re fracture clinic. and get £23.10 for uniform..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 17th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 14,988 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Work done, stressy phone call dealt with, shower had, now on load 3 of 4 in the WM. Scoffing lunch then will do some pottering and the online money shuffle.

Oh Bossy I do hope he turns up xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 17th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 36,016 Posts
    • 464,164 Thanks
    pigpen
    WM 5 and 6 underway.. 4 loads hung to dry.. first lot from this morning is dry but still on the line.. I'll deal with that shortly.

GUTTED I have another walk to to school to collect Pixies uniform for September, it is lost property day too so I need to rifle through that for 2 pe shirts, 5 cardigans and whatever else has gone walkabout!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 9,783 Posts
    • 105,322 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of following the lists this week; it's started out manic and looks like staying that way.

However.... today, operating on less than three and a half hours' sleep, I have
    • Let Sasha out for early morning wee and given her brekkie
    • Tidied and D£ttoxed the kitchen surfaces (how come they always look a mess when Mr LW has been in there??)
    • Applied lemon juice to a blackcurrant stain on Mr LW's jeans (success - the stain is gone, hurrah)
    • Done a WM load of Mr LW's clothes
    • Hand-washed a red skirt and a green top, both of which run better than Usain Bolt
    • Hung all the above washing out on the whirligig
    • Informed Mr LW that if he puts the above skirt or top anywhere near any other washing, he'd better run faster than Usain Bolt
    • Made a pizza for tonight's dins (from scratch, including the base)
    • Made a loaf in the BM
    • Done a tonne of WUDUPA
    • Taken Sasha for a l-o-n-g walkies
    • Sorted the recycling and packed in neatly in the pink bag ready for the bin men tomorrow
    • Prepped a melon for use and left it in a tub in the fridge (to go on our bran flakes for brekkie as a change from bananas)
    • Refilled the bird feeders
    • Called a prospective new customer to set up a meet'n'greet visit with them and their Staffie
    • Ploughed my way through a gazillion online surveys *kerching*
    The above is not all in strict order, and there may be other little bits I've forgotten/done on autopilot.

I am cream crackered - I don't know how those of you with large families cope at all, I truly don't; I take my hat off to you *doffs sunhat*
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • katiecat
    • By katiecat 17th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    katiecat
    Hello
    Have just quickly read thread but retained nothing- sorry.

Started early today with dog walk then went swimming and finally some flying.
    Kitchen nice and clean again Have wiped worktops several times today as fly keeps coming in and I can't stand them or the noise they make.
    Have also enjoyed time in garden
    Hope all are well
    katiecat
    • boddy
    • By boddy 17th Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 68,537 Thanks
    boddy
    Red hot here today so decided to have a trip to the seaside. It's only a couple of miles away. Wanted to go early before it got too busy. Called at DDs on the way back. Pleased she is recovering from her tonsillitis.

Got back home and tackled the kitchen so a bit of the list done.
    Bathroom S&Sed.
    Dailies done.

Now sitting in the Sun with a cuppa.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 9,306 Posts
    • 118,061 Thanks
    kazwookie
    WM x 3 done on line, and now in folded and away
    Shopping done
    Whole house hoovered and dusted
    Bins out
    dinner done
    Exsil visited
    Sun, Sea
    • embb
    • By embb 17th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 62,683 Thanks
    embb
    Hi guys

bossy hope the carpet fitter turned up and poor dd, hope she enjoyed her sports day x

Wow its a hot one today, i swear i melted somewhere in my customers house lol roll on winter, there, i said it!

K, doing kitchen listy now but not the floors, they will all get done on the same day, probs friday morning this week. As much as i try i cant ever quite get a proper routine going cos life and laziness gets in the way haha. Dailies done and aldi food shop done though.

Laters xx
    • Tardis4
    • By Tardis4 17th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Tardis4
    Hi all (: New username after forgetting to log in for a few years lol, look forward to joining you all again.

Kitchen done, no dining room YAY, onwards and upwards (:
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 17th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,026 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Welcome tardis

Carpet is in place, looks very nice. DD sports day, she was fine without me and won three races, lol. DS not quite as successful but enjoyed it nonetheless.

I've vacced the stairs 3 times haha, the hall is done except for one door / threshold trim. Happy with the results.

Kitchen sorted after dinner, kids bathed, read with and popped into bed.

I feel a bit headachey after all that...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • MinnieMousesMummy
    • By MinnieMousesMummy 17th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 13,123 Thanks
    MinnieMousesMummy
    I'm finally sitting down with a cup of tea so thought I would catch up with the thread and update my list.

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Sort out and wipe out the fridge - Full at the moment so will do this later in the week before next food shopping.
    Wipe over the hob and oven door
    HHI
    Deal with a hotspot
    Check prices for car insurance
    £10 challenge 2017: Jan £387.76, Feb £82.21, March £254.10, April£0, May £674.30
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 17th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,416 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

Paid stuff done, it was really overcast this morning but brightened up in the afternoon making it horrible to work in, it's meant to be warmer here tomorrow so goodness knows how I'll cope!

Everyone else in the house were away to the seaside today while I was stuck in work and they had an India buffet on the way home so I had to do dinner for myself.
    I've S/S the LR and scullery, stuck a load of washing in and dried it.
    Nipped over for a sunbed as it's only ever sunny when I'm working.
    Just going to sort my stuff out for tomorrow
    Night all x
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 17th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Evening all. Not sure where today went, apart from it being a looonnngg day at work.

Before setting off this morning, I managed to do HHI and to S&S the downstairs loo and the bathroom ( actually STILL the ensuite, as the bathroom has been m.i.a since last September.....maybe I might just have mentioned that once or twice in the last 9 months ...). After work, I diverted into town to run a couple of errands. Parking was horrendous on the street so resorted to parking and paying at Mr W, running the errands and being out again in 10 minutes flat. Minimum parking, 1 hour .

I managed a quick trip to the lottie, so there are now 6 more courgettes and another pile of spinach in the fridge. Guess what we had for dinner?? Kitchen surfaces and hob now wiped, floor swept and I am finally sat down with a cuppa. Tomorrow is another day.

PS...LW, I was exhausted just reading how much you had done today. X
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 17th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 33,151 Thanks
    ionafan
    Rosie has come to live with us. She is settling in really well.

I have tried to put up some photos but - sorry = my brain isn't working right now (I'm another one who had less than 4 hours' sleep last night) so I'll try again in the morning.
    Last edited by ionafan; 17-07-2017 at 9:58 PM.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 20,087 Posts
    • 228,200 Thanks
    Valli
    Welcome back Tardis - who were you before?

House a midden; absolute pit no word of a lie. It can wait.
    Bossy - a shame you missed DDs sports day but kudos to her for doing well anyway - sometimes life gets in the way and these things can't be helped. Useful life lesson for her, there - resilience and so forth. I am still perturbed from learning that a child at my school once told a teacher that 'no-one in our family dies' - that was how parents had handled an awkward question - at least you know your little one can knuckle down to it even if you're not there.

Anyhoo - I have washed up.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 17th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 46,030 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Congratulations on FlyDog Rosie's arrival, Ionafan!

I've folded and put away all the bedding that's been hanging around for days, scrubbed the paths in the communal garden because of seagull pooh and seen two of the babies flying! Yay! I've done other stuff too, but forgotten what.
    Keeping it AF
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 17th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 4,929 Posts
    • 51,586 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all and a warm welcome to Tardis and Rosie mutt

Pleased your carpet man turned up okay Bossy
    Wow LW - that's some list ! Sounds like you're picking up some doggie bookings now - great news

Dailies done
    Dusted all through top to bottom
    Checked bank accounts and did the 'money dance'
    Booked dentist appointment for next Wednesday
    Arranged bank appointment for an hour later same day (quite close to each other)
    Watered all the plants on the balcony
    I 'totalled' the fridge on Saturday - before weekend shopping - so all clean and up-to-date
    Spanish lesson done
    Kitchen all WUDUPA and bunkers all cleaned

MAD x 2 today - defrosted the small chest freezer, checked and repacked

Hugs, sticks and spoons if you need some
    Hope you all have a super Tuesday
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1984....OCT=238.67/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1486....OCT=151.55/200
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....OCT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 18th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 18,515 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Good morning ladies - welcome to Tardis and RosieDog.

Fairly OK day yesterday, which was nice. Paint arrived but one tin had been crushed en-route, so I had a sticky mess to deal with and a replacement to organise.

Tiny had his sports day. He was delighted with a third place in the beanbag race and tried his best in all the others. Bless him, his little legs don't move him along as fast as his willowy friends.

Got to go to the brick yard today to choose what we are having on our flood wall. Been emailing their chappie in the office to prime him for my royal visit

Right, off to breakfast club with Small.
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 18th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 29,770 Thanks
    dancemum
    Clothes drawer sorting then off to fly at Parents' home.

Bathroom S&s
    1x wm done
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin