Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greyandyoung
    • By greyandyoung 16th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    greyandyoung
    Evicting Family from your property
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    Evicting Family from your property 16th Jul 17 at 7:13 PM
    Hello,

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

We own a property that we have family living in. As it is family they don't have a tenancy agreement, not do they pay rent; only the utility bills etc.

We now have to sell the property and will need to evict then. What would be the correct way to go about this? They have told me I will need to give them an eviction notice but I am not sure which one to use or how to go about it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 17th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 2,701 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Many thanks to you all for taking the time to answer my question, as mentiond it is council driven to enable them to get social housing, and I am bery grateful for the advice.
    Originally posted by greyandyoung

But they have a house - why do you think they're entitled to another one ?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 17th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 8,781 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Why would someone buy, even at a very low price, if they were unable to use the premises or extract any rent ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    They wouldn't (IMHO): But, in the circumstances described, a purchaser could evict occupants (procedure is not too difficult) then re-let for market rent or occupy themselves or sell...
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 17th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    saajan_12
    They wouldn't (IMHO): But, in the circumstances described, a purchaser could evict occupants (procedure is not too difficult) then re-let for market rent or occupy themselves or sell...
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Only a mortgage free buyer would be able to buy with a non paying tenant, and any buyer would be that much more sceptical of the time/cost of evicting as they would have to dig into the agreement between the current LL and occupants. Rather than so severely restrict the market, OP could follow the same procedure and evict.

If you're worried about souring relations, then evicting or selling to a buyer who you expect will evict straight away is pretty much the same as the OP evicting.
    Last edited by saajan_12; 17-07-2017 at 4:45 PM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 17th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    seashore22
    I'm not seeing any souring of relations.

The op has more or less said that it's a contrived eviction to get a council house.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm not seeing any souring of relations.

The op has more or less said that it's a contrived eviction to get a council house.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Not quite, they said they have to sell the house, so the family members need to leave anyway. They are just trying to work the situation to get them the best chance if a council house.

That may be reasonable, if they haven't been paying rent maybe it's because they're in financial dire straits and are lucky to have a kind relative?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

938Posts Today

7,062Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin