Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lagiffgaff
    • By lagiffgaff 16th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lagiffgaff
    Bonus sacrifice
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    Bonus sacrifice 16th Jul 17 at 6:48 PM
    Hi,

I am 30 years old and just got my first bonus after starting to work two years ago. Shall I sacrifice it towards my pension (Aviva) and save close to £500 in tax or cash it in? I should also mention I am not british, meaning I will eventually go back to Europe in a couple of years. I would appreciate some pointers please.

Thank you!

Lucie
Page 1
    • atush
    • By atush 16th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 16,385 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    atush
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    Well first off- is it a sacrifice (ie salary sacrifice)?

What rate of tax do you pay?

Do you have other savings which means you dont need this pension until age 55 or later?

If you have enough savings, that you can set up your new life back in europe (home country or not) then put it in the pension.

If you feel you might need this money sooner in your new/old life back where you came from, then take the money and save it in a non pension wrapper/
    Last edited by atush; 16-07-2017 at 9:42 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin