Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clarita_l
    • By clarita_l 16th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    clarita_l
    How to turn off hot water! DIY tap change
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    How to turn off hot water! DIY tap change 16th Jul 17 at 5:25 PM
    Hello,

I live in a block of flats -and can't work out which way to turn of my hot water which I believe to be a tank. I can turn off the cold right by the bath (I'm hoping to fit a mixer tap on my bath so I can take a shower )

I have some photos but can't for the life of me work out which lever/tap is for what!

Any help would be useful.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 16th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    If you have a hot water tank you will need to isolate the cold feed to the tank. Look for a gate valve on the lowest pipe into the tank, usually 22mm.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 16th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    And when you come to fitting the new mixer tap, fit an isolator valve on both hot & cold pipes - If you ever need to repair or replace the tap, you won't need to go hunting for stopcocks again.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 16th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    Having turned off the valve you think, turn on a tap ; if it keeps running for more than a minute, it's the wrong valve. You might find the valves don't fully close off the flow, so you'll have to open other taps to take any leakage.

Plumbers have a small box that fits around the pipe, and uses refrigerant to freeze a plug of water ; probably not something to risk if you aren't confident of fitting the new tap very quickly.
    • Moss5
    • By Moss5 17th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Moss5
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    A shower mixer must have hot and cold supplied at the same pressure.
    Hot from a vented tank and cold at mains pressure will not do.
    Verify acceptable pressures are available before buying a mixer tap.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,229Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin