Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 16th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 1,101Posts
    • 2,714Thanks
    theboylard
    SolarEdge Error 26 - Faulty AC relay
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    SolarEdge Error 26 - Faulty AC relay 16th Jul 17 at 5:19 PM
    End of the World is Nigh...

Noticed just after midday when I went to put the kettle on, that there was no diversion to the immersion (immersion light in kitchen flickers/lights up when diverting).

Went into the garage, all green lights - checked the display and saw output at zero

No errors reported on panel or on monitoring portal.
    I'll do a reboot -Turn off DC switch, turn off AC switch, count to 20, AC back on, inverter boots then red lights and Error Code 26 Faulty AC Relay appears on screen - oh poo

Google appears to indicate this is fatal.

Can't contact support (UK Support Monday-Friday 9-5) have left message on their chat - see if anyone picks it up?

At least the weather is pants at the mo
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
Page 1
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 16th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    SolarEdge customer support
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    If it's anything like the support I got from SolarEdge when I had the faulty optimiser, things should be sorted quite quickly.

All they had to do with the optimiser was to put it in the post to me; I suppose an inverter will be somewhat different.

Good luck

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 16th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    Thanks Dave!

I'll warn postie to watch his back!!

Im going to ask if I can upgrade to an HD-Wave inverter, might as well try and squeeze everything out of the site as they are replacing anyway. Wonder how much extra they'll ask?
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 17th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    Case opened.
    Got to find a local advanced solaredge installer now to do on site tests
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 17th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    That was quick! Google, not Solaredge

Search on "solaredge advanced installer corby" and it's the 4th result! See if we can push it to no.1
    • michaels
    • By michaels 17th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 19,102 Posts
    • 87,617 Thanks
    michaels
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    Makes me wonder how many years warrantee my inverter came with and how much it would cost to extend it.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 18th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    I couldn't extend mine because it was an older one (fnarr, fnarr!), but it came with 12 years warranty so glad it's popped early - but the extension costs are not too bad, especially for the new HD-Wave models
    SolarEdge Warranty Extension

Got an outfit from Dunstabubble looking at it now, guy I've been speaking to seems to know his onions and is on first name terms with the SolarEdge support team - dunno if that's good or bad?!
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 22nd Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 22nd Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 22nd Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    I've had daily contact from my new Solaredge approved advanced installer, and it's been a fun week!

It was hard trying to find someone who responded, let alone want to take on someone else's work.
    Solaredge should introduce a policy of 3 recommended approved installers, that would make it easier.
    I doubt I'll be the only one in this boat.

Luke Richards from Gechnology is the man I've been talking with and he's tried to pull things in for us and we nearly got an HD-Wave inverter, but due to an admin issue, we've missed out - shame!

As it is, we'll have a replacement inverter that is the model below the HD-Wave, but we'll back generating next week all being well.

I've invited Luke to join us here, he's an installer with a conscience and anyone who had work done by Bodgitt & Scarper, aka TP Solar, you'll need support anyway.

I had to send Solaredge a letter requesting they remove TP Solar as my installer and appoint Gechnology so they could move my monitoring to them, which would allow the warranty claim to proceed - it needs the system to be monitored by an active approved installer.

I'll update again when I know more.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 27th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 27th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    Power!

Luke from Gechnology swapped in the new inverter today and we're now up and running.

He did find a some interesting things as when first connected the output was zero - it appears TP Solar had gone inside the inverter and swapped over the polarity, rather that swapping over the polarity on the dc switch?! I'm no sparky, but I'll agree with Luke that it sounds as if TP Solar didn't know what they were doing!

Other untidy items like different length cables, switch mounted upside down, cables not removed from the retrofit move from string inverter to Solaredge - I'm sure there's more!

I'm going to ask Solaredge to update the firmware on the inverter now, apparantly it gives a better resolution of the data.

July is a bust though, was running at a predicted 117% but now at 58% of target.
    Last edited by theboylard; 27-07-2017 at 2:51 PM. Reason: brainfart
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 27th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    July is a bust though, was running at a predicted 117% but now at 58% of target.
    Originally posted by theboylard
    Forecast here is for poor weather till a week Friday.

But I have a new auto-sig with one less PV system, as the two ESE's are now one big SolarEdge one.

System upgraded yesterday, and of course the replacement PO for a dead one on the old system (I spotted recently) arrived this morning, but they said they'd pop back and do that for me when passing.

The new HD Wave inverter is half the size of the old inverters, and weighs in at 9kg v's the 42kg sum of the two old ones.

Plus it tells me import, export and fetches my slippers too (not all of those facts may be true).

Now I just have to wait a week or more for a good day to see how the numbers compare.

Have to say the SolarEdge people are helpful.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 27th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    theboylard
    Were they seperate installs/different FiT's Mart?
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th Jul 17, 7:20 AM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Were they seperate installs/different FiT's Mart?
    Originally posted by theboylard
    Hiya TBL. The two ESE systems were my original install, Aug 2011. They were done as two systems, because at the time they couldn't find an inverter that could handle the difference, as one was a 13 panel system, and the other a 5 panel system on the lower roof, so the voltage difference was too big back then. Though some dual MPPT inverters today could do it, though the 5 panel system would be close to the MPPT minimum voltage.

Despite the technicalities they ran through the same TGM, so for all intents and purposes, it was a single install at the FiT's end.

My WNW is a totally separate system installed with SolarEdge kit 5 years ago today.

I simply can't believe the difference in the inverters, the downstairs toilet wall looks empty now, the SE4000 is so small. I picked up the box when they brought it in and held it up with one hand whilst reading the blurb - but nearly crippled myself yesterday boxing up the two old inverters for their new homes - the 'small' SB1200 weighed in at 26kg, and the SB2500HF was 'only' 17kg! Boy things have moved on fast.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • DREKLY
    • By DREKLY 28th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    DREKLY
    Hiya Mart - all very interesting!
    I too have a Solar Edge 4000, fitted on the kitchen wall (!!)
    I am curious as to what your new, smaller, lightweight one is like,
    any chance of a pic, please and thankyou ?

I am also trying to self-install an Immersun 2 that I "acquired"...

- at the moment I have it paired to the wireless CT sensor, on
    the other side of the kitchen (test bench!), and connected to a
    400W panel heater, just to prove -to myself- it will all work ok,

(but we are in thick fog here all weekend- such is the Wet Country )

- prior to chopping into the immersion wiring to a mechanical
    timer with adjustable pins that was already installed - all a bit
    Heath Robinson Crusoe, I know....

Have you had any experience of them, should I start a new thread
    instead, rather than muddy the waters?
    Last edited by DREKLY; 28-07-2017 at 7:55 PM.
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 29th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hiya Drekly, my mistake it's a SE3500 (better match to my 3.58kWp).

I've got before and after pics, you can use the water pipes as a reference point.

The 'loo' is quite cool but small, so it did use to get warm from the inverters on a very good generation day, but now the losses have been reduced by 5/6ths with efficiency rising from 94% to 99% (Euro ratings) so that's another concern gone.

There are youtube vids explaining the new HD wave inverters from SE, very clever little things.

I'm not up on diverters but I think there's a thread with lots of discussions somewhere?

• DREKLY
    • By DREKLY 29th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    DREKLY
    Interesting, thanks for the pics Marty !
    The four buttons below the display are virtually the same
    as on the Immersun.... how strange is that !
    Yes, I am an "all electric" property, hence my diverter,
    there are quite a few articles already on them, especially now
    that the company, 4ECO folded, and are now taken over by SISEM.
    I wasn't sure if you had one amongst all your kit !!!
    Last edited by DREKLY; 29-07-2017 at 7:08 PM.
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES
    • michaels
    • By michaels 2nd Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 19,102 Posts
    • 87,617 Thanks
    michaels
    Another tp story

We were haing a car charger put in today so had to move some boxes and found in the one balanced on top of the output meter a solar edge wifi module - and to date I have been farting about with a patch cable run from the inverter motherboard socket to an old wireless router ised as a wifi bridge that stops working every winter when it gets cold.

Fitting the module looks very straight forward but if anyone has done it and has some tips....

I may do it at night as the schematic install diagram tp left shows an ac isolator switch on one side of the invertor and a dc switch on the other - no sign of the dc switch - I guess it might be in the loft somewhere even though everything else is in the garage.....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 2nd Aug 17, 4:08 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    Another tp story

We were haing a car charger put in today so had to move some boxes and found in the one balanced on top of the output meter a solar edge wifi module - and to date I have been farting about with a patch cable run from the inverter motherboard socket to an old wireless router ised as a wifi bridge that stops working every winter when it gets cold.

Fitting the module looks very straight forward but if anyone has done it and has some tips....

I may do it at night as the schematic install diagram tp left shows an ac isolator switch on one side of the invertor and a dc switch on the other - no sign of the dc switch - I guess it might be in the loft somewhere even though everything else is in the garage.....
    Originally posted by michaels
    I can't help with the wifi installation question, but the lack of DC isolator is not a problem if you have a SolarEdge system with optimizers. With the inverter turned off, the panel outputs, even in bright sunlight, are limited to 1V per panel. There's a small toggle switch fitted to my SE inverter which turns off the optimizer outputs and the display shows a count-down until the voltage is safe. You can then confidently turn off the inverter AC switch and know all is safe on the DC side.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    • ceivegz
    • By ceivegz 9th Aug 17, 1:39 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ceivegz
    Hi, slightly off-topic here, but I'm thinking of upgrading my inverter to a solaredgeor similar. I have a 3kwh system fitted on a right-angled roof so I get some shading. Any advice offered and idea of costs is very much appreciated!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

7,110Users online

Martin's Twitter