Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thebullsback
    • By thebullsback 16th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 348Posts
    • 31Thanks
    thebullsback
    Specsavers
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    Specsavers 16th Jul 17 at 5:04 PM
    I called in to my local Specsavers three weeks ago and was persuaded by them to try varifocal lenses and told at the time if there was a problem I could exchange them for "Normal " glasses.
    Well I could not get used to Varifocal so I was given a pair of "Normal" lenses in Frame I had chosen for my Varifocials.
    I mentioned at the time of the exchange if I was a refund as I had paid £330 for Varifocails £125 for frame and extra money for ultra thin lenses and also extra for top of range varifocal lenses.
    I received £155 refund and left the shop.
    On looking at a brochure for specsavers I have at home I notice they are giving a 2 for 1 offer on the frames I have chosen.
    Do I qualify for a extra pair of glasses in spite of having a refund bearing in mind I have paid £175 for the one pair I now have??
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 16th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    I would say so, yes. Why don't you go in and ask?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 10,514 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    Is the "2 for 1" promotion running all the time or is it something that has recently started?

If it was going 3 weeks ago when you first made your purchase then yes, I don't see why you shouldn't be entitled to the 2nd pair but if the offer started after you paid your money then I doubt if you qualify.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    Do Specsavers ever NOT have a 2-for-1 offer?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • elsien
    • By elsien 17th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 14,911 Posts
    • 37,244 Thanks
    elsien
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    2 for one won't cover the thinner lenses or any other extras you might have added on, you'd still be charged the extra for that on both pairs.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 5,892 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    2 for 1 is a bit of a con, you only get a pair of their cheapest glasses, not expensive variofocals.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 17th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    2 for 1 is a bit of a con, you only get a pair of their cheapest glasses, not expensive variofocals.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Not true, I recently had a new pair of varifocals; for my second pair chose sunglasses frames which they put varifocals in to and tinted the lenses for free. I think the offer is that you pay for the more expensive of the frames, but you get identical lenses in both.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 17th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 4,613 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    I called in to my local Specsavers three weeks ago and was persuaded by them to try varifocal lenses and told at the time if there was a problem I could exchange them for "Normal " glasses.
    Do I qualify for a extra pair of glasses in spite of having a refund bearing in mind I have paid £175 for the one pair I now have??
    Originally posted by thebullsback
    In legal terms, it depends what you agreed to when you paid the initial £330.

Was it agreed that you would be able to swap the varifocal glasses for two pairs of normal glasses, and get the refund? Or did you see a leaflet (or something) that made you think you could do that swap, before you paid the £330?

From your post, it sounds like the idea of being due two pairs of glasses came to you a long time after paying the £330 - so it was not agreed when you made the contract.

But you can always ask - they may give you a second pair as a 'goodwill gesture'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter