Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • static92
    • By static92 16th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    static92
    opening a new bank account with old bank after old account closed unpaid overdraft
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    opening a new bank account with old bank after old account closed unpaid overdraft 16th Jul 17 at 5:01 PM
    hi i wanted to find out is it possible to open account with the same bank if your account was closed because of over draft not being paid would you able to open a full current account again with the same bank again years later if your credit score has improved
    Last edited by static92; 16-07-2017 at 5:09 PM.
Page 1
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 16th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    Your credit score has got nothing to do with it. It depends upon whether the bank will have you back or not. Did you pay the debt off? How are your credit reports? Which bank and how long ago was it?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 16th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 16,857 Posts
    • 25,682 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    I would think that only the bank concerned can tell you.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 6,591 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    Try a completely different banking group.

Or you might find they reopen your old account and transfer your new balance to your delinquent overdraft.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 23,848 Posts
    • 11,049 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    I don't quite agree with Peaceful here.

If the debt has not been acknowledged or contributed to for at least 6 years it will be statute barred.
    It will depend on what information their internal systems hold about him.

He could apply and see - a straight decline or only offering a basic account would give a fair idea?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 16th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    I do agree with PeacefulWaters :
    If the debt has not been acknowledged or contributed to for at least 6 years it will be statute barred.
    That just means the courts won't enforce it. If the unpaid overdraft was say £100, you might find that when your balance reaches £101 it suddenly drops to £1.

If you are worried, use a different banking group. If you really want an account with them ; borrow the missing amount from somewhere else, then go along with the missing money as a peace offering.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin