Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,610Posts
    • 17,997Thanks
    JIL
    A Female Doctor Who.
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    A Female Doctor Who. 14th Jul 17 at 11:31 PM
    According to BBC website the new Dr who will be revealed on Sunday after Wimbledon.

Any guesses as to who this will be?

My money is on Kris Marshall.

Any other thoughts?

I don't even watch Dr Who!
    Last edited by JIL; 17-07-2017 at 8:13 PM. Reason: Added who to title.
Page 7
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 17th Jul 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    There have been plenty of black companions and a number of gay/bi characters. It really isn't much of a leap to have a female doctor. They've been foreshadowing it for years - I'm more stunned that *anybody* is surprised at all.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Indeed. It was a surpise to many that Matt Smith was replaced by a man.

For me it was far more important that rather than jumping on the bandwagon of "the next one must be a woman" (a mentality that has definitely existed in the last few cycles, and which firmly crosses the line from feminism into PC gone mad) that they took a reasonable length of time and chose the right woman, putting her in at the right time.

The problem you had up until now was that David Tennant and Matt Smith set a really high bar and that if a woman were selected to replace either of them she'd need to be seen as an improvement upon them otherwise there's a very high chance of the general mood being "never again". The departure of Peter Capaldi does not in my opinion present that same problem.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 17th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 15,274 Posts
    • 30,584 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Why is it all the lefties on here hate the thought of it being a woman on here.

I thought all the Labour supporters would be happy that women are being given a chance in a leading front role..

Strange thing is most of the socal media is in two camps, men hate it, women loving it.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Seemed to me to be from all sides, more so the right if anything. So I am confused as to where you are getting this from.
    You do not gain an O when you lose. Loose means baggy.
    • grahawk
    • By grahawk 17th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    grahawk
    If a female Dr Who fits into the storyline/history/scenario. then fine, but not if it has been done SOLELY for reasons of political correctness.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    The use of the term political correctness concerning this is a case of the use of the term political correctness gone mad.
    'If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.' Mark Twain
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 17th Jul 17, 7:48 AM
    • 3,827 Posts
    • 3,701 Thanks
    sillygoose
    I do think the nature of the character has got lost under the noise of agendas.

David Tennant's success was portraying the blend of 'humanity' of his own insecurity and emotional needs with a hint of a darker more unhinged side, after all the Doctor destroyed worlds and genocide of species, he was a damaged soul.

Matt Smith played it too lightweight, never carrying the menace of the most dangerous man in the universe in all time.

Capaldi only seemed to come out of the dementia daze of his regeneration to stumble about filling in the liberal checklists.

Perhaps after David it was simply 'done' Take a few years rest.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 17th Jul 17, 8:11 AM
    • 14,421 Posts
    • 34,040 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    yes Doctor Who's new showrunner is Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall. so her new boss is her old boss

I suppose time will tell if it will work
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    A new boss is needed, the storylines under Moffatt have been convoluted and right up their own, smug bottom, with complex storylines trying to be smart but end up being dumb.

The whole Clara thing, erughh. Jenna Coleman must know someone high up at the BBC to have got the gig, terrible actress, terrible storylines, terrible everything.

As for the new Dr, sounds great and look forward to giving it a go, but they've got to get the story and script right, else Jodie will go the same way as Capaldi.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 17th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Forget all this nonsense about political correctness. Surely the real issue is whether the show should be called Doctor Whom...
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 17th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    onlyroz
    A new boss is needed, the storylines under Moffatt have been convoluted and right up their own, smug bottom, with complex storylines trying to be smart but end up being dumb.

The whole Clara thing, erughh. Jenna Coleman must know someone high up at the BBC to have got the gig, terrible actress, terrible storylines, terrible everything.

As for the new Dr, sounds great and look forward to giving it a go, but they've got to get the story and script right, else Jodie will go the same way as Capaldi.
    Originally posted by JasonLVC
    This latest series was great. The one before it not so much (and I never warmed to Clara). As for convoluted stories - I thought the whole River Song storyline was brilliant.
    • tho
    • By tho 17th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    tho
    Really don't get the complaints. No one seemed bothered when Moffat randomly gave Matt Smiths Doctor another shed load of regenerations to get around that inconvenient plot point.

I mean its a show about a twin hearted person who travels through time in a police phone box fighting baddies, and whenever they die they get another crack at it. And the fact its a woman makes it unrealistic?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    • 27,263 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pyxis
    This latest series was great. The one before it not so much (and I never warmed to Clara). As for convoluted stories - I thought the whole River Song storyline was brilliant.
    Yes, I liked the River Song stories very much. I hope they do more.
    It's still unresolved imo.

A shame in a way, though, because I always thought that Alex Kingston would have made a stonking Dr. Who, but of course she can't be!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    dontone
    Only trouble most of the "Children" you quote have grown up with it.

As for your question what children now think of it, would you be upset if they all shouted 'hell yeah! at the thought of a female character in a hit Tv show.

Must have been fun watching tv with you when you were a kid. But then again with that many chips on your shoulder they didn't have to go to the chippe.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Absolutely true. I was four when I became a fan. I remember the 4th to 5th regeneration scene and it's stuck with me ever since.
    37 years, and 'cos I posted that fact that on FB that I wasn't happy with the announcement, I've been called 'fake', insane' and something that rhymes with 'upfront'
    I've never known a set of 'fans' to be so nasty. (Just wanted to get that off my chest)
    And regards to toys/comics that I saw earlier - some of us up grown ups collect them. We never had much in the way of Who stuff like that when we were kids.
    The Doctor regenerates - we grown ups who grew up with it - suffer a somewhat regression to our kid state
    I still think the whole woman thing is wrong. And I am slightly older than 30ish.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    dontone
    Really don't get the complaints. No one seemed bothered when Moffat randomly gave Matt Smiths Doctor another shed load of regenerations to get around that inconvenient plot point.

I mean its a show about a twin hearted person who travels through time in a police phone box fighting baddies, and whenever they die they get another crack at it. And the fact its a woman makes it unrealistic?
    Originally posted by tho

The Master was given a whole load of regenerations in the Five Doctors. That was done on Gallifrey.
    We know that happens so that bit was a bit 'meh!'
    The Doctor has had strong female characters alongside him & fighting him throughout the tenure. Having a woman in the role has just upset the whole thing. I still say that the PC agenda has had a lot to do with it.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• quidsinquentin
    • By quidsinquentin 17th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 39,243 Posts
    • 78,926 Thanks
    quidsinquentin
    These all seems to be the same arguments as "James Bond must be Scottish/dark haired/white" - it's a character in a story and can be adapted as necessary to move with the times. I think the new woman should be given a chance and I think she'll be great.
    Ah, right.

So we could have a disabled James Bond then? A black female lesbian Jamie Bond?

A wheelchair-bound or a James Bond with cerebral palsy? That should make the chase sequences interesting.

Come to think of it, why not a Mr Marple for some of Agatha's stories? Or a... etc.
    Last edited by quidsinquentin; 17-07-2017 at 8:50 AM.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    dontone
    Ah, right.

A wheelchair-bound or a James Bond with cerebral palsy? That should make the chase sequences interesting.

Come to think of it, why not a Mr Marple for some of Agatha's stories? Or a... etc.
    Originally posted by quidsinquentin
    Or a 'Hortense' Poirot, come to think of it.

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 17th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 39,701 Posts
    • 79,454 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Would just like to add,

all this about the 13th Doctor is just wrong.

It is the 14 regeneration of the Doctor.

Yes there has been 13 actors to play the role full time, but the War Doctor was a regeneration of the character played by John Hurt fitting in between McGann and Eccleston.

Sorry, I'll take my nerd hat off now.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Does Richard Hurndle's incarnation of the Doctor not count then, or is that too nerdy?

I watched the first ever episode when it was broadcast on the 30th of November 1963, and have been a fan ever since. I shall give the new actor and stories a chance, even though a female Doctor Foreman doesn't sit well in my childhood mind.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Newman2
    • By Newman2 17th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Newman2
    Does Richard Hurndle's incarnation of the Doctor not count then, or is that too nerdy?

I watched the first ever episode when it was broadcast on the 30th of November 1963, and have been a fan ever since. I shall give the new actor and stories a chance, even though a female Doctor Foreman doesn't sit well in my childhood mind.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Richard hurndall was portraying the First Doctor.
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 17th Jul 17, 9:22 AM
    • 29,017 Posts
    • 80,646 Thanks
    Marisco

Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Same here, and have watched it ever since (apart from the McCoy ones) My favourite was Tom Baker....until David Tennant. He was brilliant
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 17th Jul 17, 9:25 AM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 124,658 Thanks
    zagubov
    Quote from Jojo the Tightfisted: Amazing how the lead character in a children's television show arouse so much angst in presumably fully grown adults.

They are aware that, as they aren't nine years old anymore, it's not meant to represent their views of how the world should be?

Wonder Woman = Thor/Superman/Batman/Spiderman/Wolverine/Captain America/Ironman/The Flash/Green Arrow/Green Lantern/The Hulk........
    Miss Marple = Poirot/Sherlock Holmes...
    Jane Tennison = Maigret/Rebus/Taggart/Wallander/Van der Valk...
    Lara Croft = Indiana Jones/Alain Quartermain....
    Modesty Blaise = James Bond, Jason Bourne, Austin Powers
    will that do for now ?
    Originally posted by Dippypud
    And will this do as well?
    I vaguely remember a bit of cloning/DNA theft going on with The Doctor's Daughter. So technically, wouldn't that make it possible?
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    That's interesting. This should have been the first hint we could get a female doctor. In humans you could clone a female from a male parent by rearranging the genes (which I presume is meant to happen in Time Lords) so if they were meant to be that similar to us, male Time Lords should be able to regenerate as females by suppressing a few genes.

Don't think it would work the other way round though, so Susan couldn't regenerate as a man (unless she was born one.

I see it would be easy to bring Susan back as they could use any actress they wanted, what with regeneration being such a major thing.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 17th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Ah, right.

Originally posted by quidsinquentin
    I said adapted, not totally changed. The ethnicity of Bond is irrelevant, and it has already been hinted that he is bisexual. But it would be a stretch for him to morph into a woman or have a major physical disability.

As for Doctor Who, it is established that he can regenerate into anyone and so it is totally in-keeping that he can become a she. They've been foreshadowing it for years.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 17th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 39,701 Posts
    • 79,454 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Same here, and have watched it ever since (apart from the McCoy ones) My favourite was Tom Baker....until David Tennant. He was brilliant
    Originally posted by Marisco
    Did you, or did you watch it when it was first broadcast on the 23rd? So many people missed it the first time round, my family included, that it was repeated the following week when it was immediately followed by episode 2. That's when I first saw it.

I was brought up with a crotchety old man who was quite ruthless and without empathy, who travelled the unknown universes and time with his granddaughter.

This is the bit I can't get my head around. I shall watch and no doubt enjoy the new series with the new actor, but my childhood self will always say, but The Doctor is a man, who has a granddaughter.

Also in my nerdy Whovian head, for me, there has only ever been one Doctor who has had many re-incarnations, not a first, or fifth, or fourteenth Doctor.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 17-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • grahawk
    • By grahawk 17th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    grahawk
    Anyone could play Bond as well because the character transcends time rather than being set in a specific continuous time period. In the same way when they rebooted Sherlock Holmes into the 21st century he could have been anyone including a she. Unsurprisingly, like Doctor Who, the stories were ridiculous.
    'If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.' Mark Twain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin