Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,688Posts
    • 18,362Thanks
    JIL
    A Female Doctor Who.
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    A Female Doctor Who. 14th Jul 17 at 11:31 PM
    According to BBC website the new Dr who will be revealed on Sunday after Wimbledon.

Any guesses as to who this will be?

My money is on Kris Marshall.

Any other thoughts?

I don't even watch Dr Who!
    Last edited by JIL; 17-07-2017 at 8:13 PM. Reason: Added who to title.
Page 4
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 5,694 Posts
    • 32,865 Thanks
    Gers
    It is an OUTRAGE.
    Political correctness gone mad!
    Whatever next, a woman Prime Minister?
    I'd rather chop my own penis off than see the doctor played by a woman
    Disgusting.
    Etc.
    Originally posted by fairy lights

Imagine - a Queen as head of state. AND a female head of government. We are bound to hell in a cartwheel, or whatever the phrase is.

Andy Murray for PM!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 5,694 Posts
    • 32,865 Thanks
    Gers
    I'll point on this thread too that Doctor Who is both an alien and a fictional character. Which means that anything is possible. Unless you're an expert in the little known biology of Gallifreyans.
    Originally posted by grahawk
    Wasn't there a Time Lord who the Dr forced into a regeneration when he was on Gallifrey and attempting to 'save' the awful Clara - he regenerated into a woman? Sign of the times.
    • iltisman
    • By iltisman 16th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    iltisman
    Its about time someone like Jason Statham played the Dr . A bit more bring it on effin Cybermen then shoot them to bits.
    It's only my cheerfulness that keeps me going
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 6,534 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I'm up for watching it but I hope they give her good storylines.

[B][/B] If she meets Susan again will she be "grandmother"?

I always assumed that he'd had loads of incarnations before, due to watching the Brain of Morbius.

I reckon it's the 14 regenerations tomfoolery that's non-canon nonsense. Where's the flipping "bulk eraser" when you need it?
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Interesting point. The actress who played her, Carole Ann Ford, is still around. She played the original Drs granddaughter, but there have never been any signs of a wife or son/daughter. This raises some interesting possibilities
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 16th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    avogadro
    I'd quite like to know what the target audience for Dr Who thinks of the new reincarnation.

Ie. children.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 16th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3,700 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    dontone
    Don't know why you're so traumatised. Missy was brilliant as an incarnation of the Master so this isn't really any different.
    Originally posted by elsien
    In a way it is. Missy, while a big part of the story line, is still a character that turns up now and again. Now, I'll admit that I think that Missy, and the lady who portrayed her, was a breath of fresh air, after the Simm debacle. It did work, because women can be extremely b*tching and she had some great chemistry with Clara & Bill.
    BUT, I will always want the Doctor to be a bloke. I really don't think that this new direction will work tbh. I think that this has been one big PC exercise and I reckon that it will backfire in the long run.
    There have been a few nasty comments on the FB page with people saying that people opposed to the change are sexist & misogynistic, and what have you, some pretty nasty stuff that is uncalled for. But it really isn't the case.
    As a woman, I am all for equality in certain aspects of life, I have been in situations, mainly work wise, where I have had to accept the fact that there are certain things that men are better at than women (and vice versa).
    Doing this to Doctor Who is unnecessary. To me, it just reeks of a publicity stunt.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 16th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 13,428 Posts
    • 52,751 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    As a Dr Who fan from the first episode I think Peter Capaldi was the worst ever.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I've liked Peter Capaldi in the roll it was good to get back to the original idea of the Doctor being an older man with that aged character showing on his face. I'm aged back to the original series too. I think it worked much better than going for ever younger actors.

Sadly for Capaldi his term as the Doctor coincide with Steven Moffat being in charge of the scripts and Capaldi was let down badly. Moffat had occasional flashes of brilliant scripts such as the Weeping Angels story line but he was mostly terrible, going in for long winded and highly convoluted stories, his leaving the show has been long overdue.

As for the doctor being a women next time, I'm not enamoured of the idea. Some characters are just too ingrained and fit the storyline as one gender and as a woman I can't say I personally feel offended that the Doctor is always a man. Missy I thought was excellent as a new incarnation of the Master but she was not normally seen as a full time main character, until this latest series the Master/Missy use to only show up a couple of times in a series at most. With the companions they seem to have covered every type of person and relationship like Capt. Jack who was flexible and every other category covered from friendship, married, love interest, LGBT and the weird ones that seem to be some sort of supernatural entity in their own right such as Clara. It seems like they've ticked every box, sometimes it worked brilliantly, sometimes like with Clara, not so good but they were never the main character of the show.

Jodie Whittaker is a good actor and I'm sure she'll do the best she can with the role and just like for Capaldi much will depend on the writing but I reckon changing the main character in such a fundamental way is very dicey. I'll be watching with interest, it will either be a success or I've got a sad feeling that it could be the final nail in the coffin of this new generation series that Moffat started to build in his tenure of being in charge of the show and storylines.

Since the new generation series of Doctor Who started some people have been clamouring for a women in the role, well seems like they've got what they wanted and another box has been ticked for the BBC and the PC brigade. Far from this being a win for feminism I just find it very patronizing.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • dontone
    • By dontone 16th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3,700 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    dontone
    I've liked Peter Capaldi in the roll it was good to get back to the original idea of the Doctor being an older man with that aged character showing on his face. I'm aged back to the original series too. I think it worked much better than going for ever younger actors.

Sadly for Capaldi his term as the Doctor coincide with Steven Moffat being in charge of the scripts and Capaldi was let down badly. Moffat had occasional flashes of brilliant scripts such as the Weeping Angels story line but he was mostly terrible, going in for long winded and highly convoluted stories, his leaving the show has been long overdue.

As for the doctor being a women next time, I'm not enamoured of the idea. Some characters are just too ingrained and fit the storyline as one gender and as a woman I can't say I personally feel offended that the Doctor is always a man. Missy I thought was excellent as a new incarnation of the Master but she was not normally seen as a full time main character, until this latest series the Master/Missy use to only show up a couple of times in a series at most. With the companions they seem to have covered every type of person and relationship like Capt. Jack who was flexible and every other category covered from friendship, married, love interest, LGBT and the weird ones that seem to be some sort of supernatural entity in their own right such as Clara. It seems like they've ticked every box, sometimes it worked brilliantly, sometimes like with Clara, not so good but they were never the main character of the show.

Jodie Whittaker is a good actor and I'm sure she'll do the best she can with the role and just like for Capaldi much will depend on the writing but I reckon changing the main character in such a fundamental way is very dicey. I'll be watching with interest, it will either be a success or I've got a sad feeling that it could be the final nail in the coffin of this new generation series that Moffat started to build in his tenure of being in charge of the show and storylines.

Since the new generation series of Doctor Who started some people have been clamouring for a women in the role, well seems like they've got what they wanted and another box has been ticked for the BBC and the PC brigade. Far from this being a win for feminism I just find it very patronizing.
    Originally posted by Mrs Bones

This ^^^ what I've highlighted is exactly what I was trying to say. Sums it up perfectly. Ta, Mrs Bones

p.s Nowt wrong with Peter Capaldi's Doctor. I wanted him to stay
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 14,653 Posts
    • 125,451 Thanks
    zagubov
    Interesting point. The actress who played her, Carole Ann Ford, is still around. She played the original Drs granddaughter, but there have never been any signs of a wife or son/daughter. This raises some interesting possibilities

I suspect they're wary of bringing this up again as it would involve revisiting his family and immediate descendants. I'm a bit worried she may fall foul of "Chris Cunningham Syndrome" as all Happy Days fabs will be familiar.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Hissing_sid
    • By Hissing_sid 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Hissing_sid
    The only crime here is that they continue to waste their time with this dross while Blakes 7 continues to sit in the vault.

So honestly, who cares?

Dr Meh.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Amazing how the lead character in a children's television show arouse so much angst in presumably fully grown adults.

They are aware that, as they aren't nine years old anymore, it's not meant to represent their views of how the world should be?

Wonder Woman = Thor/Superman/Batman/Spiderman/Wolverine/Captain America/Ironman/The Flash/Green Arrow/Green Lantern/The Hulk........
    Miss Marple = Poirot/Sherlock Holmes...
    [insert world famous female detective/police officer here when one turns up] = Maigret/Rebus/Taggart/Wallander/Van der Valk...
    Lara Croft = Indiana Jones/Alain Quartermain....
    [Insert international female spy character - other than the p0rnographic films/books made about Mata Hari] = James Bond, Jason Bourne, Austin Powers

Even if we look at famous baddies, how many of them are female? These overemotional twits might have lost Moriarty, but they still have Scar, Blofeld, Scaramanga, The Penguin, The Joker, Doc Octopus, The Sandman, The Lizard, Colonel Zod, Lex Luthor....if they manage to ignore the change in ethnicity, they still have Electro as well. Plus the stupid one dimensional female characterisations based upon exaggerated physical features and created at the time these people were actually relevant to the cartoon/movie/TV producers.

I'm sure that they will cope with one fewer character to pretend they are when having some alone time in their baths.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I vaguely remember a bit of cloning/DNA theft going on with The Doctor's Daughter. So technically, wouldn't that make it possible?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 16th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    avogadro
    Amazing how the lead character in a children's television show arouse so much angst in presumably fully grown adults.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that! I find it absurd that a childrens tv programme can make headline news simply by having a change of actor in the lead title. I'd actually be more interested to know what the children think of the new doctor, as opposed to what their parents think of her.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 4,922 Thanks
    Spidernick
    You're just a make (sic) chauvinist.

Well I surprised you haven't gone into rant about the bbc wasting your licence fee!. Ohh! They are lefties so you won't do that.

If you don't like it don't watch it. That's what the the channel chargers is for or even better the off button.

Personally I think it gives it a new course to follow. I'll be watching. After the last 3 dark years, anything has got to be better.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Well done for totally missing the point (and at least my 'rant' managed to hit all the correct keys!).

This is another extension of 'positive discrimination', which is just plain wrong. I am not a chauvinist at all, I just think this sends out the wrong message.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 7,375 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    They set up the Doctor being female back when Tennant was in, his clone was female.
    When Capaldi went back to Galifray it was said that Time Lords were predomenantly female and Capaldi has said a few times that he was female when he was younger.

I have no problem what sex the Doctor is as long as the scripts are good.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 2027.6
    This week 70.3
    • chris_m
    • By chris_m 16th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 5,313 Posts
    • 16,946 Thanks
    chris_m
    I vaguely remember a bit of cloning/DNA theft going on with The Doctor's Daughter. So technically, wouldn't that make it possible?
    And a bit of incest later on - since Georgia Moffett is a real Doctor's daughter as well as a fictional one, and later became the Doctor's wife

That apart, I am surprised that they haven't brought that character back since she wasn't killed off so must be floating around somewhere in space-time.
    Last edited by chris_m; 16-07-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 16th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 29,227 Posts
    • 81,428 Thanks
    Marisco
    You're just a make chauvinist.

Well I surprised you haven't gone into rant about the bbc wasting your licence fee!. Ohh! They are lefties so you won't do that.

If you don't like it don't watch it. That's what the the channel chargers is for or even better the off button.

Personally I think it gives it a new course to follow. I'll be watching. After the last 3 dark years, anything has got to be better.
    Originally posted by robin58
    So what does that make me, as I totally agree with him. I was afraid they'd cast a woman, and they did.
    • Dippypud
    • By Dippypud 16th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 16,682 Thanks
    Dippypud
    Where to start? Richard is on the right track. Anyone who watched Tom Baker knows that we have Time Lords and Time Ladies - namely Romana (for short) in Baker's time. Having the Master as a woman was just silly and this has taken it a step further. There was absolutely no need to do this and I reiterate: it is political correctness gone mad and is indicative of much that is wrong with the world (and yes, I appreciate it's only a TV programme).

I don't want Wonder Woman to be a man and nor do I want The Doctor to be a woman. There was absolutely no need to do this.

Of course I'll give Whittaker a chance, but this could be a low with my on/off relationship with the programme that was my favourite when growing up in the 1970s and for which I have retained a fondness as an adult (other than McCoy's time, which was dire).
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    'Broflakes' ...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
    • Dippypud
    • By Dippypud 16th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 16,682 Thanks
    Dippypud

They are aware that, as they aren't nine years old anymore, it's not meant to represent their views of how the world should be?

Wonder Woman = Thor/Superman/Batman/Spiderman/Wolverine/Captain America/Ironman/The Flash/Green Arrow/Green Lantern/The Hulk........
    Miss Marple = Poirot/Sherlock Holmes...
    Jane Tennison = Maigret/Rebus/Taggart/Wallander/Van der Valk...
    Lara Croft = Indiana Jones/Alain Quartermain....
    [Insert international female spy character - other than the p0rnographic films/books made about Mata Hari] = James Bond, Jason Bourne, Austin Powers

Even if we look at famous baddies, how many of them are female? These overemotional twits might have lost Moriarty, but they still have Scar, Blofeld, Scaramanga, The Penguin, The Joker, Doc Octopus, The Sandman, The Lizard, Colonel Zod, Lex Luthor....if they manage to ignore the change in ethnicity, they still have Electro as well. Plus the stupid one dimensional female characterisations based upon exaggerated physical features and created at the time these people were actually relevant to the cartoon/movie/TV producers.

I'm sure that they will cope with one fewer character to pretend they are when having some alone time in their baths.
    will that do for now ?
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 16th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I was watching the Chancellor, Phillip Hammond on Tv this morning and ........... there are even women train drivers now. So if a woman can work a train, i'm sure she learn the controls of a phone box.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,652Posts Today

8,627Users online

Martin's Twitter