Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,618Posts
    • 18,042Thanks
    JIL
    A Female Doctor Who.
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    A Female Doctor Who. 14th Jul 17 at 11:31 PM
    According to BBC website the new Dr who will be revealed on Sunday after Wimbledon.

Any guesses as to who this will be?

My money is on Kris Marshall.

Any other thoughts?

I don't even watch Dr Who!
    Last edited by JIL; 17-07-2017 at 8:13 PM. Reason: Added who to title.
Page 3
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 12,525 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The creator of Broadchurch is going to be involved.

Interesting
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 36,845 Thanks
    elsien
    Me too. I can't believe they have done that. My all time favourite show - ruined beyond repair. The PC Brigade have got what they wanted. Gutted.
    I haven't been this p'd off since they announced who was going to be no.7 on John Craven's Newsround all those years ago.
    Originally posted by dontone
    Don't know why you're so traumatised. Missy was brilliant as an incarnation of the Master so this isn't really any different.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 32,239 Thanks
    Gers
    Me too. I can't believe they have done that. My all time favourite show - ruined beyond repair. The PC Brigade have got what they wanted. Gutted.
    I haven't been this p'd off since they announced who was going to be no.7 on John Craven's Newsround all those years ago.
    Originally posted by dontone
    Just a tad OTT perhaps?

I'm female and would love to have been the Dr. It's only fiction. It's only TV. Live with it or move onto something like The Sweeney!

PS, not an actor so not even in the picture for the role. Not young. Not blonde. Am Scottish so thought it would help!

• RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    My only problem is that it doesn't fit with the original canon, but then again they have messed with/changed stuff like the regeneration process etc so this was a logical step for them to take.

As long as the writing and story are good I'll give it a chance.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 16th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 7,856 Posts
    • 26,027 Thanks
    fairy lights
    It is an OUTRAGE.
    Political correctness gone mad!
    Whatever next, a woman Prime Minister?
    I'd rather chop my own penis off than see the doctor played by a woman
    Disgusting.
    Etc.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    The creator of Broadchurch is going to be involved.

Interesting
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    yes Doctor Who's new showrunner is Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall. so her new boss is her old boss

I suppose time will tell if it will work
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    Spidernick
    What in the galaxy is wrong with a female Doctor Who?
    Originally posted by decbel
    Where to start? Richard is on the right track. Anyone who watched Tom Baker knows that we have Time Lords and Time Ladies - namely Romana (for short) in Baker's time. Having the Master as a woman was just silly and this has taken it a step further. There was absolutely no need to do this and I reiterate: it is political correctness gone mad and is indicative of much that is wrong with the world (and yes, I appreciate it's only a TV programme).

I don't want Wonder Woman to be a man and nor do I want The Doctor to be a woman. There was absolutely no need to do this.

Of course I'll give Whittaker a chance, but this could be a low with my on/off relationship with the programme that was my favourite when growing up in the 1970s and for which I have retained a fondness as an adult (other than McCoy's time, which was dire).
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 124,658 Thanks
    zagubov
    I'm up for watching it but I hope they give her good storylines. If she meets Susan again will she be "grandmother"?

I always assumed that he'd had loads of incarnations before, due to watching the Brain of Morbius.

I reckon it's the 14 regenerations tomfoolery that's non-canon nonsense. Where's the flipping "bulk eraser" when you need it?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Li0nhead
    • By Li0nhead 16th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 30,622 Thanks
    Li0nhead
    This is the devils work!

Some mad people are even starting to suggest women vote and drive!
    What madness!

Anyway back to the real world:
    It is fiction. It is up to the writer of the day to decide what happens on the show. The same way there will be a soap story within the next 12 months where a character is either killed or a killer. It is fiction. Get over it.
    The above comment was meant to be friendly and non-judgemental.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 16th Jul 17, 5:43 PM
    • 9,565 Posts
    • 14,112 Thanks
    melbury
    Do hope she doesn't use that dreadful pseudo Dorset accent she put on in Broadchurch, it was awful

We go down there quite often and I have not heard anybody speak like that

Having watched Dr Who as a child from when it first started, have to say I always liked William Hartnell.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 16th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 15,294 Posts
    • 30,674 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Where to start? Richard is on the right track. Anyone who watched Tom Baker knows that we have Time Lords and Time Ladies - namely Romana (for short) in Baker's time. Having the Master as a woman was just silly and this has taken it a step further. There was absolutely no need to do this and I reiterate: it is political correctness gone mad and is indicative of much that is wrong with the world (and yes, I appreciate it's only a TV programme).

I don't want Wonder Woman to be a man and nor do I want The Doctor to be a woman. There was absolutely no need to do this.

Of course I'll give Whittaker a chance, but this could be a low with my on/off relationship with the programme that was my favourite when growing up in the 1970s and for which I have retained a fondness as an adult (other than McCoy's time, which was dire).
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    To follow your logic there should be no more doctors.

There have been some very odd goings on with the time line since Christopher Eccleston, so no reason whatsoever to take things a step further. After all, the one thing changing the doctor does is keep things fresh. After 12 men playing the role, there is very little they can do to refresh the male doctors story lines, as all the basic male character types have been done.
    You do not gain an O when you lose. Loose means baggy.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 16th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    fewgroats
    I don't think the previous Doctors showed a varied personality type. Three of them were Scottish, I recall.
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 244/300 Better
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 16th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 9,538 Thanks
    I have spoken
    A female Dr Who going back to 1973 to help the 'Life on Mars' coppers with Cyberpersons could be amusing
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Would just like to add,

all this about the 13th Doctor is just wrong.

It is the 14 regeneration of the Doctor.

Yes there has been 13 actors to play the role full time, but the War Doctor was a regeneration of the character played by John Hurt fitting in between McGann and Eccleston.

Sorry, I'll take my nerd hat off now.
    • grahawk
    • By grahawk 16th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 5,804 Thanks
    grahawk
    Anyone who watched Tom Baker knows that we have Time Lords and Time Ladies - namely Romana (for short) in Baker's time.
    Now that is political correctness gone mad. I guess it was the 70s though.
    'If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.' Mark Twain
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 16th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 15,294 Posts
    • 30,674 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    I don't think the previous Doctors showed a varied personality type. Three of them were Scottish, I recall.
    Originally posted by fewgroats
    What has an accent got to do with personality/character?
    You do not gain an O when you lose. Loose means baggy.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 16th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 16,856 Posts
    • 25,679 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Originally posted by fewgroats
    Since when was Scottish a personality type.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 16th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    I am disappointed, but Jodie is a good actress and easy on the eye too. Shame Bill didn't stick around, maybe a bit of interracial alien lesbianism - the BBC/Moffat missed a PC brigade winner there.
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 16th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    Mista_C
    I don't have an issue with a female playing the role but after seeing that promo I don't think Jodie has that 'lived in' look of a character that's 2000+ years old.

The only other Doctor announcement I've had trouble taking to like this was McCoy and he never won me over in the years that have passed.

The OH and I were talking about it earlier, and we could think of several '80s & '90s female actors who might have been great in the role, but not so many in the current day.

Still, at least it isn't Sue 'don't stop talking until someone chuckles then milk that comment for all it's worth' Perkins as I'd heard a few predict.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    robin58
    Sorry, but to my mind that's just wrong:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Political correctness gone mad!
    You're just a male chauvinist.

Well I surprised you haven't gone into rant about the bbc wasting your licence fee!. Ohh! They are lefties so you won't do that.

If you don't like it don't watch it. That's what the the channel chargers is for or even better the off button.

Personally I think it gives it a new course to follow. I'll be watching. After the last 3 dark years, anything has got to be better.
    Last edited by robin58; 16-07-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,006Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin