Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fitnessguy1
    • By fitnessguy1 16th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 462Posts
    • 356Thanks
    fitnessguy1
    0 WOW
    do you use a foreign sim card when abroad and, if so how?
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    0 WOW
    do you use a foreign sim card when abroad and, if so how? 16th Jul 17 at 3:33 PM
    i am asking this as i am a little unsure how to go about using my smartphone abroad. when you go abroad how do you personally go about using your phone? do you use a local sim card?
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 12,405 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    Not within the EU as there is no point. The rates are the same as the UK.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    I often use a local SIM, I put it in my phone. It depends on the country, my needs and circumstances. What are yours?
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 8,032 Thanks
    photome
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    I have a three pay as you go sim for use in the USA, just add a feel at home package to it
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jul 17, 12:29 AM
    • 12,405 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:29 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:29 AM
    I have a three pay as you go sim for use in the USA, just add a feel at home package to it
    Originally posted by photome
    Whenever I've used my Three PAYG phone abroad, I automatically get feel at home rates if they are available. I've never added a package.
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 7:24 AM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 8,032 Thanks
    photome
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:24 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:24 AM
    Whenever I've used my Three PAYG phone abroad, I automatically get feel at home rates if they are available. I've never added a package.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I only use it in the USA, and each visit I top up with £10 and then convert it to feel at home to get the texts,calls and data
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    Depends where you are going and whether you need data or just calls and texts.

As of June - as stated the law changed and you can use whatever voice calls your deal has when in the EU for no more money.

Outside most contracts offer a variety of add ins.

Take a look at your providers details and check if you will have access to free wifi at your hotel / nearby coffee shops and restaurants before you fork out. If on holiday - do you really need more than a few free data based sessions a day?
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 11,476 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    Yes: my handset is unlocked, so whenever I arrive in a new country I pick up a local PAYG Sim and just slip it in...
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 35,486 Posts
    • 149,693 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    i am asking this as i am a little unsure how to go about using my smartphone abroad. when you go abroad how do you personally go about using your phone? do you use a local sim card?
    Originally posted by fitnessguy1
    Data roaming off and rely on wifi connections.

Often means hovering near Starbucks in America.

In Europe it's not so much of an issue.

Outside Europe I recently used the Three package. Forwarded my calls to the Three number and put the Three SIM in my unlocked phone. I did lose some messages, though in theory that shouldn't have happened.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 17th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Blue264
    Yes: my handset is unlocked, so whenever I arrive in a new country I pick up a local PAYG Sim and just slip it in...
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Same here.
    I have a dual SIM phone, so just ignore my 'home' sim and insert a local PAYG sim. I've got into the habit of changing the second SIM as the plane lands, or at baggage reclaim, if it's one of my regular countries. If it's somewhere new and non-EU, we get PAYG SIMs at the airport and swap numbers immediately in case we get separated.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 12,405 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I only use it in the USA, and each visit I top up with £10 and then convert it to feel at home to get the texts,calls and data

This is what intrigues me. Whenever I visit a feel at home country, I get a text from Three advising of the rates and, apart from local calls (outside the EU), they are exactly the same as I pay in the UK. I don't convert anything.
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 8,032 Thanks
    photome
    This is what intrigues me. Whenever I visit a feel at home country, I get a text from Three advising of the rates and, apart from local calls (outside the EU), they are exactly the same as I pay in the UK. I don't convert anything.
    Guessing it's because you are on three. I have a contract with o2. But switch the sim when going to the USA, normally there is no credit on my three sim
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 8,032 Thanks
    photome
    Same here.
    I have a dual SIM phone, so just ignore my 'home' sim and insert a local PAYG sim. I've got into the habit of changing the second SIM as the plane lands, or at baggage reclaim, if it's one of my regular countries. If it's somewhere new and non-EU, we get PAYG SIMs at the airport and swap numbers immediately in case we get separated.
    Originally posted by Blue264
    Is that cheaper than my £10 method with three
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    • 12,405 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The only advantage of swapping to a local local sim that I can see, and it only applies outside the EU, is that you get local calls at a reasonable rate.

Otherwise, it can be very inconvenient. Maybe the best compromise is to take an old/cheap phone with you and use it in that when you make a local call.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 17th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Blue264
    Is that cheaper than my £10 method with three
    Wouldn't know. My home Sim is Swisscom and the second one in my dual sim phone is 3 for when I'm in the EU, outside of Switzerland. Haven't been to the US in a good while, but buy a local PAYG Sim for outside the EU.

3 have a limited usage policy and have said they're going to cancel my partners sim a few times when he's forgotten to turn it off in Switzerland.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    eDicky
    Comparing costs is not so easy - as well as the particular country or countries being visited there is the kind of usage that's required. The OP has not revealed his own purpose.

For a UK holiday-maker in a Three 'Feel at home' country, or since June 15th using any network within Europe, there's no real need for a local SIM.

If you travel frequently for work and need to make and receive local calls then a local SIM is often necessary. You can't usually expect people who need to contact you by phone to make an international call to your UK number. Modern widespread use of messaging apps can often replace the need for phone calls however, and your inclusive data can now be used in Europe, elsewhere also with Three and some other network plans.

Outside Europe I never answer a call or reply to a text using my EE 'home' number, but simply call back or reply (if necessary) using my local SIM in the same handset. A local SIM is also often useful for data and calls using Viber, WhatsApp etc.

I now have a Three 'Data Reward' SIM, which is for mobile broadband but can also be used for calls and texts. I'm going to try using this also next time I travel.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 12,405 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    3 have a limited usage policy and have said they're going to cancel my partners sim a few times when he's forgotten to turn it off in Switzerland.
    How long does he leave it on for?
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 18th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Blue264
    How long does he leave it on for?
    He got the first 'warning' after having it live in his dual sim phone for 6 weeks, so he took it out. He's had a warning since, whilst in Greece, but they still haven't switched off the roaming.

I totally agree with edicky's post above. Also, even though 3 feel at home covers Switzerland, there was absolutely no signal in our village until about 2mths ago. There's also no signal at my OH's place in Greece because it's in the shadow of a mountain, but we can go for a few miles in any direction to get the signal back.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 18th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    knightstyle
    We have used a Toggle sim for France for many years. Now that roaming charges have stopped we use our Giffgaff sim in our usual phone for all calls to the UK and the Toggle sim in an old phone for all our calls to France. Works out cheapest way to make our calls.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    eDicky
    He got the first 'warning' after having it live in his dual sim phone for 6 weeks, so he took it out.
    A dual SIM phone usually allows either SIM to be simply switched off in the settings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,177Posts Today

4,790Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin