Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Iamfineyesterday
    • By Iamfineyesterday 16th Jul 17, 2:48 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Iamfineyesterday
    Who responsiable for the graffti on my wall. Council owned alleyway.
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:48 PM
    Who responsiable for the graffti on my wall. Council owned alleyway. 16th Jul 17 at 2:48 PM
    I live next to a alleyway which is owned by the council. It a public alleyway between our houses. My house is number 10 the alleyway and then number 12. People can walk through the alleyway to get to the other side. Recently I had a lot of people knocking on my door at night time and then running off. I have installed cctv cameras now. There also loads of people hanging around in the alleyway and recently there has been graffti on my wall.

The people who have access to the alleyway are the public will I have to pay for the graffti to be removed or is it council responsiabitly. My house is very big and my garden is around 150ft including my house around 220ft. So to clean up the graffti each time is very expensive. I don't like calling the council for this as once its gets cleaned up they will do it again.
Page 2
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I had a fence with barbed wire. It' did'nt look very nice and my garden is really big so would have been an eyesore . I decided to make a big long wall. The people on the road and I did report it to the police but as it was happening regularly gave up. If we want to sell the house a wall would look much better which I now think does.
    Originally posted by Iamfineyesterday
    So they no longer think it's a problem.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,550 Thanks
    wealdroam
    It's like saying If my neighbour chucked rubbish into my garden would I need to clean it?.
    It's not like that at all.

In that situation, you know who chucked the rubbish into your garden, so you could force him, one way or another, to clear it up.

Unfortunately if you do not know who put the graffiti on your wall, you will have to stand the cost of putting things right.

If i chucked rubbish in the alley would the coucil clean it?.
    Most probably, unless they could determine that it was you who put the rubbish there.

If they could identify you as the guilty party, then I would expect the council to prosecute you for either littering or fly-tipping.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 8,717 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Yes and a thorny one at that.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Public footpath and bridleway running along the side of my house. 15 foot high hawthorn hedge. Zero graffiti and zero intruders in 13 years.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 8,717 Thanks
    LilElvis
    I have adt and a cctv system. I pay £39 for adt a month. They charged me £45 to changed the batteries. They have loads of hidden charges. Charges for fobs for examples.
    In 13 years I've had to pay twice to have the back up battery replaced. That's it. Twice yearly system tests are free, as are replacements for faulty equipment. I've never come across any hidden charges, apart from when they inadvertently changed the monitoring phone line from a free phone to a chargeable number and they changed it back and refunded the 2 months worth of twice daily call charges when I complained.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 9,502 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Have you considered painting the wall with something such as this:
    http://www.antigraffitipaint.co.uk/

That, along with a cctv camera (either real or just a dummy one) may make the vandals move elsewhere if they see their efforts being removed on a regular basis but I suppose it's possible that it has the opposite effect if they see it as a challenge.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    It's like saying If my neighbour chucked rubbish into my garden would I need to clean it?
    Yes you would as it is on your property.

Graffiti or fly tipping on PRIVATE property is the property owners responsibility to clean it up, if the graffiti was sprayed on the footpath then it would be upto the local authority to clean it, but as it is on YOUR property then it is upto you to clean up
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Have you considered painting the wall with something such as this:
    http://www.antigraffitipaint.co.uk/

That, along with a cctv camera (either real or just a dummy one) may make the vandals move elsewhere if they see their efforts being removed on a regular basis but I suppose it's possible that it has the opposite effect if they see it as a challenge.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    you forgot to mention she could also get a £10 motion sensor outdoor light, so would light up if anyone entered her property
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 8,592 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Thank you for the response guys. It's private property but the people who are doing the graffti are doing it from the alleyway as the alleyway is a path by our house so my wall and neighbour wall is exposed. If we did'nt have the alleyway we would'nt have graffti. I don't think they would lock the alleyway as it very popular.

The other house across the alleyway has had the side on top of the fence grafftied. That is'nt the only problem as my neighbour propertry has also been burgulared. The alleyway connets to the other side of the road and both of these houses have also been robbed. Some one knock on my door around 10pm at night and ran off. We did'nt have any lights on so I am sure that they where trying to get in.
    When you say people sitting in the alleyway, doing graffiti etc....do you mean kids?

Just everything you describe sounds quite typical of the teenagers round here. They tend to sit in places like the alleyway you describe so they're not out in the open/get a bit of shelter from the weather.

Plus knocking the door and running away is a favourite game for kids to play.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Iamfineyesterday
    • By Iamfineyesterday 16th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iamfineyesterday
    can't really sit in the alleyway but they gather in groups standing against the wall. They used to be a lot of teens but all i see now is middle ages men mostly polish having a beer. They like to chill in the alley and as i live in london it's in one of the businest street and expensive so it bring the area down. Our neighbours had people peaking into the house at night. It's generally safe but has gotten a bit unsafe .

I own a dog so that could be why we have'nt been targeted like our neighbours. I knew this was a risk when buying the house 12 years ago but the house has gone up in value x 4 I paid for it. That show the areas good but can be visited by some unruly characters.
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    • 12,735 Posts
    • 8,212 Thanks
    photome
    can't really sit in the alleyway but they gather in groups standing against the wall. They used to be a lot of teens but all i see now is middle ages men mostly polish having a beer. They like to chill in the alley and as i live in london it's in one of the businest street and expensive so it bring the area down. Our neighbours had people peaking into the house at night. It's generally safe but has gotten a bit unsafe .

I own a dog so that could be why we have'nt been targeted like our neighbours. I knew this was a risk when buying the house 12 years ago but the house has gone up in value x 4 I paid for it. That show the areas good but can be visited by some unruly characters.

Did you really want to know about the Graffitti (most would know that if it is your property it is your problem) or just to make some other point.

PS
    I also live next to a footpath, I put in a laurel hedge with a few thorny bushes inbetween, its now 6ft high, no graffiti
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 17th Jul 17, 11:58 AM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 10,654 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    It may be the council's responsibility. A neighbour of mine had graffiti scrawled on his rear garden wall that was painted white. The council came and covered it up with more white paint. Said "artist" came back and re-tagged it. This went on for months. Eventually it stopped, I think the kid probably grew out of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin