Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LizMac
    • By LizMac 16th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LizMac
    Policy Renewal
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    Policy Renewal 16th Jul 17 at 2:32 PM
    I've had holiday home insurance through Swinton Insurance for the last 7 years and it has renewed automatically each year. I rang up last Friday about to make a claim following a storm on the Thursday night to discover that I was no longer covered as my policy had not been renewed on the 28th May as the current underwriter had changed their criteria and would no longer insure my property and Swinton had no one else who would take on this business.

Swinton's said they had tried to get in touch with me but I had heard nothing.

I hurriedly had to search for another insurer.

My question is is there anything I can do regarding time I was uncovered or do I just have to suck it up?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 89,853 Posts
    • 56,512 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    My question is is there anything I can do regarding time I was uncovered or do I just have to suck it up?
    Did you get a policy schedule, cover note or did you have a payment deducted from your account?

If yes, then there is the possibility of something. If no, then you have little to complain about if they can say that they wrote to you on x date and heard nothing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    Ask them how they tried to get in touch? I presume they tried calling, emailing and posting you more than one letter?

If one letter goes astray it's understandable but if they are not offering you cover anymore after automatically renewing it for best part of a decade, I'd expect them to make serious effort to make you aware of this.

It might be worth doing a SAR and paying £10 for a copy of all the info they hold on you, which will include copies of their diary system and how they supposedly contacted you.

Then, depending on the level of effort they did (or more likely didn't) put into contacting you; it may be worth a serious complaint to Swinton Head Office.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin