Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mikey17
    • By Mikey17 16th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 111Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Mikey17
    Tesco mobile
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    Tesco mobile 16th Jul 17 at 1:59 PM
    Hi , i have a sim only contract that has now come to and end. I rang them up and asked if a deal could be achieved by staying as a customer. To my amazement they didn't seem interested.
    I am paying £12.50 a month for 2gb data + calls and texts. The data was the most important part, as i make very few calls and texts.
    The deal they offer to new customers is £8 for 1gb or £11 for 3gb, so prices have come down since i signed up.
    For staying with them i was offered 2gb for £10, which seems to be no deal at all.I requested a pac code and was given one.
    Other deals currently offered are
    Three 4gb for £9
    TPO 2.5gb for £6.49
    ID mobile 2bg or £7 ( 30 day contract )
    was hoping Tesco would negotiate.
    Did i just get unlucky with this person or are they unwilling to do deals period.
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    Some networks haggle, some don't. Ditch and switch, as Martin often says. There is no loyalty with many companies.

Check the T&Cs very carefully before switching, for coverage, out of bundle charges/caps, overseas call costs, roaming, etc. Test coverage (if necessary) with a PAYG SIM if switching networks.

Good luck, there are a lot of SIM only choices.
    • MurkySurfy
    • By MurkySurfy 17th Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    MurkySurfy
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    Tesco mobile don't ever do retention deals.
    They do have their Xtras app which add ads on lockscreen will deduct £3 per month but judging from recent review on Google play, it doesn't always work well.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 17th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3,400 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    Tesco mobile don't ever do retention deals.
    They do have their Xtras app which add ads on lockscreen will deduct £3 per month but judging from recent review on Google play, it doesn't always work well.
    Originally posted by MurkySurfy

I disagree about Xtras, it works for me to get the £3 discount ....£36 a year.

I am used to it........ don't know its even on there
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 17th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    The minimum period of your sim only contract may have come to an end, but it will almost certainly continue as a 30 day rolling contract.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 18th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    Before switching check Quidco and Topcashback for any promotions.

At the moment TCB have £40 cashback with 3 contracts which brings the monthly cost of the £9 per month deal down to £5.66. This is for a 12 month contract and don't forget that the cost benefits reduce after the 12 months (so switch again if need be)

Also keep an eye on Plusnet deals. They seem to have new ones every week. At present it's 3gb plus 500 mins and unlimited texts for £8 per month on a 30 day rolling contract. They use the EE network.

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    I am with Tesco and they dont do deals, but look at their site. you can get SIMO and contract with a phone with the same allowances for the same price, only diff is SIMO is 12 months and a contract is 24 months.
    when i upgraded i took out a deal with a Alcatel pixi4 (6), even though i use an iphone, so i asked TM to unlock the phone which they did and i sold the phone and what i got for the phone has covered my contract for about 13 months.
    I have never had any issues with TM in the 3 years i have been with them after moving from EE
    • Mikey17
    • By Mikey17 19th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Mikey17
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    Thanks for all the answers, much appreciated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,153Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin