Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 16th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 552Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    Unsure what to do
    • #1
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    Unsure what to do 16th Jul 17 at 1:29 PM
    I have a nearly 12 year old mixed breed terrier type girl and she is my world. Has a pet passport and has travelled everywhere with us in our camper.

    She has been my best friend all through my major illness and I love her so much.

    Around a year ago she started to have seizures and the vet after doing bloods said it was most likely a brain tumour. It made sense as she was acting a little strange too. She has thankfully not had anymore seizures for a couple of months, just tremors every now and again.

    She hates being left at home but when she gets in the van it seems like she has motion problems as she struggles being on the seat like she has always done so stays lower down. She also panics when a motorbike goes past and hides in the back.

    The vet did have a chat with me when I visited with loose stools a few weeks ago and said to think about putting her to sleep when she seems sad and not waiting too long.

    At the moment she is up and down with colitis and has lots of slimy mucus. The vet gave her a steroid injection and some antibiotics and she was fine for a week but now back to slime again.

    Im torn as she seems happy most if the time and is still food driven and maybe a low dose steroid would help with her colitis but then I worry that shes suffering and not able to tell me.

    I would not have thought it was nearly time to say goodbye but the vet was really caring and said when she seems not herself and sad its kinder to let her go so I'm really torn.

    Sorry for waffling, I'm in tears typing this and she is looking at me wondering why I am upset.

    Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Xx
Page 1
    • Ash Mc
    • By Ash Mc 16th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Ash Mc
    • #2
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    I suppose this comes down to trusting the vet's opinion or deciding yourself, as the owner, that your much loved dog still has a quality of life worth preserving. Often not an easy decision and my heart goes out to you.

    Is your partner/spouse able to help you decide the best course of action?
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 16th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 37,990 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • #3
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    Sorry to read your post: it's really hard.

    I'm one of the week-too-early brigade, better too early than too late.

    We have the gift of being able to let out furry friend go to sleep without any suffering. From what you say your girl is starting to have several problems and not behaving normally and I would take the vet's advice and let her go.

    I have had friends who have kept their pet and almost carried them around they were so poorly. Looking back they regret not making the decision earlier.

    You can have a home visit if she doesn't like going to the vet. I would just say hold her in your arms and let her slip away.

    and yes..... I've nearly got the tears. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt more times than I care to remember and it is very very hard. This is the time to think of your dog rather than yourself.

    Take care
    Katiehound
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 17th Jul 17, 12:38 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • #4
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:38 AM
    • #4
    • 17th Jul 17, 12:38 AM
    A friend of mine has lost many dogs, and been brokenhearted over each of them. Many people campaign for the right to have a dignified exit when illness overcomes them, our animal companions have always had that.
    • LusciousLuce
    • By LusciousLuce 17th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    LusciousLuce
    • #5
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • #5
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    Oh bless you, I really understand your pain. She's so lucky to have such a caring owner putting her interests first.

    A vet I once worked with said no animal should be without the benefit of steroids towards the end. So if her quality of life is acceptable - she's still appetant, interacting with her family, able to toilet and not in pain - go with the steroids. Might not be for long though, which is so sad for you.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 17th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • #6
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • #6
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    Thank you everybody for your kind words.

    We had a chat last night and we are going to try her on some steroids for a short period. My teenage son has also asked if he can at least have some special time with her for some of the summer holidays before we make the decision. It was my son who asked to get a dog when he recovered from his Bone Marrow Transplant so they have a special bond.

    We all know the time is getting closer but I think it is going to be me who makes the decision and will say enough is enough as I really do not want her to suffer. She is such a lovely gentle girl I owe her that.

    Thank you once again.

    Xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,440Posts Today

8,527Users online

Martin's Twitter