Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 16th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 2,586Posts
    • 1,971Thanks
    no1catman
    Pet ashes in my coffin - why not?
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    Pet ashes in my coffin - why not? 16th Jul 17 at 12:50 PM
    I went on an interesting tour of the City Crematorium yesterday, very illuminating.
    Found out the site deals with burials as well. But when I expressed the wish that I would like my cat's ashes buried with me in the coffin, they said that no that wouldn't be possible - they'd need to go to a separate Pet Cemetery.

I not asking for a mini-plot just for them - that I could understand. Just perplexed by the reason for not allowing cremated pet remains (in a container) to be put in the coffin?
    No, problem with human cremated remains, anything else no!?

Thoughts/comments.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 16th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    I went on an interesting tour of the City Crematorium yesterday, very illuminating.
    Found out the site deals with burials as well. But when I expressed the wish that I would like my cat's ashes buried with me in the coffin, they said that no that wouldn't be possible - they'd need to go to a separate Pet Cemetery.

I not asking for a mini-plot just for them - that I could understand. Just perplexed by the reason for not allowing cremated pet remains (in a container) to be put in the coffin?
    No, problem with human cremated remains, anything else no!?

Thoughts/comments.
    Originally posted by no1catman
    If the underatker did it discretly the burial ground staff would never know.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 16th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    Heres a solution, you can get jewelry to place ashes in (not all of it), you get buried in the jewelry and scatter the rest of remains in your cats favourite place.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ashes+jewellery&sprefix=ashes+jew%2Caps%2 C136&crid=2JC0JANY5UXL3
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    A separate licence issued by the Environment Agency is required to scatter or bury pet ashes in a human cemetery or crematorium. They obviously don't have one.

A bit more background http://www.dignitypetcrem.co.uk/pet-caskets-and-urns/pet-and-human-ashes-scattering-at-dignity-pet-crematorium/
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 16th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    Interesting - they explained why Pet's ashes can't be put in a coffin prior to cremation - fine I can understand that.
    But no explanation why - in the case of burial!
    • leespot
    • By leespot 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    leespot
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    Without sounding extremely morbid, it is perfectly possible to for someone to discreetly put the pet ashes in your coffin prior to your cremation.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 16th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    My understanding of "ashes" is that they are not all of the ashes which are created by the process, but a sample to act as a memento. Some services use only a very small sample, of that sample :
    https://www.celestis.com/resources/how-it-works/

Each time you breathe in, today or tomorrow, until your last breath, you are inhaling a few molecules of the air your cat once breathed ; and your lungs almost certainly have a few fibres of its hair. That means your own body, already contains a memento of your cat ; whatever the burial rules say.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 16th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    Without sounding extremely morbid, it is perfectly possible to for someone to discreetly put the pet ashes in your coffin prior to your cremation.
    Originally posted by leespot
    See previous post 'your cremation' haven't said that, have said 'burial'.
    • leespot
    • By leespot 16th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    leespot
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    Same applies, it can be done discreetly no matter how your remains are being disposed of.
    • m1kjm
    • By m1kjm 16th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    m1kjm
    If you choose a natural burial ground you'll be able to have your cat's ashes interred with you.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 36,050 Posts
    • 152,271 Thanks
    silvercar
    Has your cat already passed away? Or do you have some knowledge suggesting it's demise before yours?
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 17th Jul 17, 6:36 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Just tell them that it's your beloved old great aunt Mable.....how are they to know any different.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 17th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Interesting - they explained why Pet's ashes can't be put in a coffin prior to cremation - fine I can understand that.
    But no explanation why - in the case of burial!
    Originally posted by no1catman
    Because if it is a human cemetery as opposed to a burial ground then a licence would-be needed to inter pet ashes/remains there, whether they don't the coffin or separate.

I'm sure any funeral directors would be wary about anything extra being placed in a coffin if they had any inkling pet ashes were involved. I think they tend to get what goes in anyway.

I can imagine somebody turning up with a casket claiming it's Aunty Maud's ashes but having a plaque ' in remembrance of Fluffy ' :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,309Users online

Martin's Twitter