Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 7,889Posts
    • 1,834Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Indian built cars - good or bad ?
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    Indian built cars - good or bad ? 16th Jul 17 at 11:53 AM
    I have an Indian built car - a Suzuki Baleno 1.0 and so far (touch wood) it has not caused me excessive concern - the only worry has been a weird dashboard light that illuminated approximately 2 months ago - I took the car back to Suzuki for investigations and drew a blank !!
    The other issue is build quality - there is a loose passenger side front door seal (where the wiring goes through the door frame) - that won't stay put - another trip to Suzuki I think !!
    What is the reputation of Indian built cars ?
    Is it as good as Japanese built cars ?
Page 1
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    It should in theory be the same build quality as any other Suzuki Japanese car built anywhere else. As far as I know very few Jap cars that are sold for the EU market are actually built in Japan anyway.

The dashboard light if it only appeared once is probably nothing and was probably just a blip with the cars ECU during a startup or shutdown.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    • 7,889 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    It should in theory be the same build quality as any other Suzuki Japanese car built anywhere else. As far as I know very few Jap cars that are sold for the EU market are actually built in Japan anyway.
    The dashboard light if it only appeared once is probably nothing and was probably just a blip with the cars ECU during a startup or shutdown.
    Originally posted by RickRastardly
    I may be wrong - but I believe that new Swifts are actually built fully in Japan ?
    The dashboard light was a worry - but as you say - it was just a one off - so hopefully just a blip ?
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 16th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    I may be wrong - but I believe that new Swifts are actually built fully in Japan ?
    The dashboard light was a worry - but as you say - it was just a one off - so hopefully just a blip ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle

A quick Google and Swifts appear to come from Hungary, although parts etc from all over, never a simple answer huh!

Most companies do this simply because transporting a fully completed vehicle from one side of the planet to another is expensive even before import charges.
    • facade
    • By facade 16th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    facade
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    When you look at a car always check the VIN number, visible at the base of the windscreen.
    If it doesn't start with a J (or SN to ST if you believe the hype) walk away.

Renault shifted the Duster production line for Europe from India as they couldn't be bothered even building them to Renault's low standards.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7,889 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    I was wrong - Japan, India and Hungary are listed as being where 2017 Swifts are assembled - but all UK sourced Swifts are assembled in Japan !!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 26,200 Posts
    • 10,454 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    The car maybe ASSEMBLED in one country but the parts will have come from all over the world.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 17th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    I know very little about Indian built cars, but I do remember the City Rover. That was an Indian designed car and was absolutely horrific. Cheaply made, cheaply constructed, known to fall apart etc.

That said, they've developed an odd reputation of having a ridiculously reliable engine that go for many 100's of thousands of miles, albeit not with the best MPG.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 17th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    I know very little about Indian built cars, but I do remember the City Rover. That was an Indian designed car and was absolutely horrific. Cheaply made, cheaply constructed, known to fall apart etc.

That said, they've developed an odd reputation of having a ridiculously reliable engine that go for many 100's of thousands of miles, albeit not with the best MPG.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    I worked for Rover at the time and knew some of the lads doing PDI's at the docks. Basically a re-badged Tata Indica.

Some of the horror stories I heard

Strangely enough, 12 years later, I still see one driving around local to me and it still looks and sounds like it did new (not that that is a high standard to maintain ).

And Tata has redeemed himself with his investment in JLR
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 7,889 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I worked for Rover at the time and knew some of the lads doing PDI's at the docks. Basically a re-badged Tata Indica.

Strangely enough, 12 years later, I still see one driving around local to me and it still looks and sounds like it did new (not that that is a high standard to maintain ).

Originally posted by RichardD1970
    But was that down to shoddy workers or shoddy design ?
    or both ?
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 17th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    But was that down to shoddy workers or shoddy design ?
    or both ?
    Probably both.

MG Rover paid Tata £3000 per car, a couple of minor differences in body panels (bumpers if I remember right) and a different suspension set up and tried to sell them on for £6,500.

Cheap components, cheap production facilities and a car never designed for the European market. What could go wrong!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7,889 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Probably both.

MG Rover paid Tata £3000 per car, a couple of minor differences in body panels (bumpers if I remember right) and a different suspension set up and tried to sell them on for £6,500.

Cheap components, cheap production facilities and a car never designed for the European market. What could go wrong!
    Similar then to the mid 70's Allegro, Princess & Marina then ?
    BL again - there's a surprise !
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 17th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Similar then to the mid 70's Allegro, Princess & Marina then ?
    BL again - there's a surprise !

Well, they were very much designed for the European market, and the major issues with those three weren't down to crap components (except water-soluble body panels) and factories, but due to the union-led puppet workforce who spent half their time standing around the braziers and the other half casually lobbing parts together into roughly a car shape.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 17th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Stoke

Would love to know the horror stories.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the CityRover but for me, I think the concerns with that car obviously lie with the safety of it? I mean, just look at it? You come up against any other small car of the same era and you're finished. Corsa? You're dead. Lupo? You're dead. Punto? You're dead. I mean, the irony of course was that the CityRover was meant to replace the Metro which itself was an absolute death trap. Maybe I'm wrong, but just looking at the CityRover, it hardly radiates safety.

The build quality probably does sit on the shoulders of Rover and Tata. The Indica is a popular car in India, and has been designed for the rough and tumble of India's environment, so surely the CityRover should have been better?

To be fair, the thing I said about the engine is true, as far as I'm aware. They're designed to be absolutely hammered and can cover many many miles. They're quite popular in these low powered endurance races that cross Europe etc, because of that very reason.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 17th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Safety was, I think on a par with other supermini cars of the time.

It had side intrusion bars, collapsible steering column, airbags, all seats with anti submarine ramps and three point seatbelts, front belt pre-tensioners and height adjustable head restraints. ABS was included on the higher spec models.

The engine was derived from a Peugeot.

Like you say, it wasn't all bad,

Despite the media criticism of the CityRover, one (the upgraded 2005 version) was chosen in 2006, to be used as the reconnaissance vehicle for the 2007 Himalayan Challenge Endurance Rally. With only minor modifications, the car was driven over the 7,000-mile (11,000 km) planned route from London to Delhi, by students from the University of Southampton, Chris Cardwell and Nick Clarke, without any major problems, including crossing significant distances of desert, and a number of mountain ranges.

The reasons given by the event organisers for the choice of vehicle were that it is "the cheapest brand new car you can drive in Britain", and to prove that the route could be driven in an ordinary small car, without the need for a large four wheel drive vehicle.

Following completion of the race, the car was shipped back to the United Kingdom and sold to a prospective competitor, with the intention of using it on the event in September 2007.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 18th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Ganga
    Somebody told me that the Nissan Micra is now made in India,do not know if this is true.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    facade
    Indonesia or france according to Wiki.

Indonesia VIN starts MF to MK, France VIN starts VF to VR, India would be MA to ME.

Indonesia can't be any worse than Sunderland's attempt to build my Renault Nissan Note- think BL circa 1976, but without the quality control and reliable Lucas electrics
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter