Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CaraBlackburn
    • By CaraBlackburn 16th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CaraBlackburn
    Rent Overpayment - Former Landlord Owes Money
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    Rent Overpayment - Former Landlord Owes Money 16th Jul 17 at 9:51 AM
    Long story short I was lead to believe I was stuck in a fixed term tenancy, therefore had to continue paying rent I couldn't afford, landlady kept trying to charge me for ridiculous things, so I sought advice with Citizens Advice where they informed me that my notice should have been accepted as due to the nature of the agreement I as a matter of fact was not in a fixed term tenancy. Therefore my landlady owes me 1 month and 2 days notice. Upon discovering this I emailed her with all the information citizens advice gave me, I also offered her something which meant she could keep 12 days of pay for the sake of getting this over with quickly. (I currently have next to no money) and she is now not responding to any texts or emails now that it is clear she has to pay me back! I just want it to be over with quickly so I can have my money back and move on with life. I have all the proof and this is getting incredibly stressful. How can I approach this? Thanks!
Page 1
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 16th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    Are you still living there?
    Jul-Dec Cookie Jar Goal: £70/£600
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 16th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 10,641 Posts
    • 14,614 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    If you believe your (former) landlord owes you money send her a letter before action and then if necessary take action by submitting a Money Claim Online.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • CaraBlackburn
    • By CaraBlackburn 16th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CaraBlackburn
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    No I moved out nearly 2 months ago.
    • CaraBlackburn
    • By CaraBlackburn 16th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CaraBlackburn
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    Thats what I am planning on doing, I just hoped there would be a more simple way!
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 16th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    When did you first move in?
    When did you move out?
    How long was the original agreement for?
    Did it gave a break clause and if so what was it?
    If you were out if the original agreement was it rolled onto a periodical tenancy or did you sign a new agreement?
    What things has the landlord charged or tried charging you for?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 40,171 Posts
    • 45,885 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    When writing your Letter Before Action you'll need to specify exactly what you believe she owes you and why.

Your original post above is NOT a good example to follow as

* it is all one long paragraph
    * it contains irrelevant information
    * it fails to specify exact details of
    a) type of tenancy
    b) sequence of events with dates
    c) amounts involved
    etc

Your letter needs to be concise, accurate and cover al the relavant facts
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 17th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    • 15,667 Posts
    • 39,175 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    What made Citizen Advice believe you were not in a fixed term? Did it have a break clause? How did you tell your landlord you were intending on moving? Did you write to her, giving her the date and 1 month notice? Did she write back to you saying that she was not accepting it as you were on a fixed term?

Did you give her the evidence of why she is wrong when you asked her for money back?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin